Which Driver? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Which Driver?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which Driver?

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:44 pm

Can anyone recommend a good driver? I never carried a driver before but now looking for one for about $300. I like the Callway Big Bertha 454cc but look at the new 460cc.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which Driver?

Postby J35J » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:06 pm

Yoda wrote:Can anyone recommend a good driver? I never carried a driver before but now looking for one for about $300. I like the Callway Big Bertha 454cc but look at the new 460cc.

Personally, unless you just want to, I wouldn't waste that much money on a driver. You can get a pretty good one for under $150. Unless you are really good at golf (consistantly mid 80's or lower) or just have the money to spend there is no need to spend a ton on a driver, IMO.

With that said the Big Berthas are nice! I've got a $80 Adams Golf Driver and it works great!! I typically shoot anywhere from 87-95 depending on how much I get to play. I could easily shoot mid 80s most of the times out if I got to play more often...but I don't. I just got a new set of Callaway irons about a year and a half ago and I've been golfing like 3-4 times since then.....grrrrrr!! I went golfing more before I got my new clubs now I hardly go at all....whats wrong with this picture??
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:19 pm

J35J wrote:
Yoda wrote:Can anyone recommend a good driver? I never carried a driver before but now looking for one for about $300. I like the Callway Big Bertha 454cc but look at the new 460cc.

Personally, unless you just want to, I wouldn't waste that much money on a driver. You can get a pretty good one for under $150. Unless you are really good at golf (consistantly mid 80's or lower) or just have the money to spend there is no need to spend a ton on a driver, IMO.

With that said the Big Berthas are nice! I've got a $80 Adams Golf Driver and it works great!! I typically shoot anywhere from 87-95 depending on how much I get to play. I could easily shoot mid 80s most of the times out if I got to play more often...but I don't. I just got a new set of Callaway irons about a year and a half ago and I've been golfing like 3-4 times since then.....grrrrrr!! I went golfing more before I got my new clubs now I hardly go at all....whats wrong with this picture??

Yeah I'm shooting around 90s right now and getting better. My company owns two golf courses (my office faces the 15th green of one of them) and I get to play for free so I go out 2-3 times a week in the summer time.

I tried a few of them in the past but I really like the Big Berthas. I definitely need a decent driver because right now I'm always 30-40 yards shorter than people I play with.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:34 pm

Yoda wrote: My company owns two golf courses (my office faces the 15th green of one of them) and I get to play for free so I go out 2-3 times a week in the summer time.

I hate you!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:54 pm

J35J wrote:
Yoda wrote: My company owns two golf courses (my office faces the 15th green of one of them) and I get to play for free so I go out 2-3 times a week in the summer time.

I hate you!

Hit me up for some golf when you are in San Diego.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:57 pm

Yoda wrote:
J35J wrote:

I hate you!

Hit me up for some golf when you are in San Diego.

I've always wanted to go to San Diego.....probably won't happen anytime soon but I know it wouldn't be hard to talk to wife into it thats for sure! Free golf sure makes this trip more likely though..... :? ;D ;)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BillyMafia » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:17 pm

I just played in an ATT Customer Invitational hosted by former British Open Champion Bill Rogers yesterday. He gave a quick clinic and said that with technology of today (he won in the early 80's) they are all good and get a driver that you looks visually good to you and gives you confidence. He says it doesn't matter what you get but the most important thing is that you get a driver that is fitted to you and your swing.

Last week I hit about 20 different drivers (I didn't get fitted. I purchased on Saturday and golf tournament was yesterday) and found a noticeable difference when I hit the Cleveland HiBore. I demo'd it in a practice round and immediately went back and bought it. It is the 2006 model (the 2007 is HiBore XL) so instead of $400 retail was only $129 new. I traded in my old Taylor Made driver and used a gift certificate and it only cost me $41. I used it yesterday and out drove Bill Rogers on the hole he was hitting for us. Of course it was my best drive of the day but it is still something that I will remember.
BillyMafia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:33 pm

BillyMafia wrote:I just played in an ATT Customer Invitational hosted by former British Open Champion Bill Rogers yesterday. He gave a quick clinic and said that with technology of today (he won in the early 80's) they are all good and get a driver that you looks visually good to you and gives you confidence. He says it doesn't matter what you get but the most important thing is that you get a driver that is fitted to you and your swing.

Last week I hit about 20 different drivers (I didn't get fitted. I purchased on Saturday and golf tournament was yesterday) and found a noticeable difference when I hit the Cleveland HiBore. I demo'd it in a practice round and immediately went back and bought it. It is the 2006 model (the 2007 is HiBore XL) so instead of $400 retail was only $129 new. I traded in my old Taylor Made driver and used a gift certificate and it only cost me $41. I used it yesterday and out drove Bill Rogers on the hole he was hitting for us. Of course it was my best drive of the day but it is still something that I will remember.

Thanks. I tried a whole bunch of drivers and felt that the Callaways were the best. They have a 30 day return policy so I may just get one and then return it if I don't like it.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BillyMafia » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:41 pm

I still have several Callaway Warbirds. One of my favorite clubs is the 4+ Warbird.
BillyMafia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sportsfan1433 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:41 pm

i love calloway clubs. you cant go wrong with them. Im 14 and i use my dads big bertha and i can bomb it. I absolutly love it. my driver is the Taylormade R7 which i like a lot too. All in all, i would go with a bigbertha driver.
sportsfan1433
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk