Illinois Sucks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Illinois Sucks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Illinois Sucks

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:20 pm

The Newspaper wrote:Illinois Updates Statewide Speed Camera Law
Illinois clarifies a number of points regarding its upcoming freeway photo radar program.

The Illinois General Assembly unanimously adopted updates to its freeway speed camera law earlier this month. The changes clarify how the state's upcoming automated ticketing program will be administered.

One of the new provisions directs between $125 and $250 from each citation into the Transportation Safety Highway Hire-back Fund. This pot of money is then used to give a 50-100 percent hourly pay bonus to police officers who issue more tickets in construction zones. This duty may include sitting in a photo radar van belonging to camera vendor ACS while the machine determines the guilt or innocence of passing motorists. ACS officials are currently on trial for bribing Canadian police officers to secure a lucrative speed camera contract in the city of Edmonton.

The legislation also denies local jurisdictions the use of "home rule" authority to establish their own speed camera program. It also places the burden of proof on the state to show that at least one "worker" was present in the construction zone if the citation is challenged in court. The law does not say that this worker needs to be visible or operating equipment for the ticket to be valid.

Key details for the program remain the same. Anyone photographed in the reduced-speed 45 MPH zone on a freeway will be mailed a $375 ticket for the first offense. The second ticket will cost $1000 and comes with a 90-day license suspension. Drivers will also face higher insurance premiums as points are assessed for each ticket. The first offense raises rates for 4-5 years, while the second offense remains on the record for a minimum of 7 years. Officials have not ruled out placing more than one van on the same freeway, so motorists find $1375 in tickets waiting in the mailbox two weeks after a single highway trip at 55 MPH.

:t :t :t
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Re: Illinois Sucks

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:31 pm

Note to self - do NOT speed in Illinois!!!! :o :o 8-) 8-)
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:41 pm

knapplc wrote:Note to self - do NOT speed in Illinois!!!! :o :o 8-) 8-)

Not to self - do not DRIVE in Illinois! :b Seriously though, why would I? I can make my own deep dish pizza.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:41 pm

That seems a bit excessive. If I ever make my way back to Illinois I'll rack up $5,000 in fines then bounce.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:42 pm

In Massachusetts if you're under 18 and get a speeding ticket the penalty is:
90-day license suspension, minimum $50 fine, plus additional $10 for each mph in excess of 10 mph over posted speed limit, plus a $50 surcharge, completion of State Courts Against Road Rage (SCARR) course and attitudinal retraining

Which doesn't sound all that bad but you have to pay for the SCARR class yourself which costs somewhere in the hundreds of dollars.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:43 pm

wow those penalties are quite harsh.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby ThatDude » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:08 pm

I'll be starting the search for a new route to work today, as my current route takes me through a construction zone.

This sucks pretty hard. I've got a knack for racking up tickets by using the I-Pass lane to buzz through the toll booths when I'm up in Chicago, so they've probably already got me on their watch list.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:26 pm

wow that is incredibly harsh, i guess we have it easy out here in california...i've been pulled over twice for speeding, once going 50 in a 35 zone and another time going 90 in a 65 zone, both times the officer just told me to slow down and then sent me on my way...its either really lax in california or its true that being a 21 year old white male is awesome
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby Coppermine » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:46 pm

If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:29 pm

I've seen such speed cameras before in London. You can find them on the outskirts of town and if you go over the speed limit, you'll see it flash, which entails a steep fine. If you get three flashes, your driver's license is revoked.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 619)

Next

Return to General Talk