Ugh, Fantasy Football..... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Ugh, Fantasy Football.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ugh, Fantasy Football.....

Postby J35J » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:34 am

So I'm just starting to look at my rankings for this year X-I ...... How awful is the football draft! If I could equate it to fantasy baseball its like this....

you worry about RB and WR like you do you're outfield and infield....very important! But when it comes time for QB, TE, K and DST its like ranking and drafting Catchers....if you don't get the top 3-5 then don't worry about it. So in other words the ranking and drafting and even playing of fantasy football is sooo boring! But yes, I play it anyway just to give me something to do! %6

Anyway, I know the subject of FFL vs FBL has been beaten to death, I just wanted to vent a little. Obviously the only way someone would like FFL better than FBL is just simply because they like Football better than Baseball, obviously the game of FBL is sooo much better! O:)

Ok, I'm done. Go ahead and lock the thread! ;7
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ugh, Fantasy Football.....

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:30 pm

There are FAR, FAR more nuances in the QB ranks than you're letting on. I gather that you don't know Fantasy Football like you know Fantasy Baseball, but you're really oversimplifying the football side of this.

Draft RB/RB/WR/WR and either RB or WR in your first five picks. Pretty simple. Get a QB in rounds 6-8, and draft your DEF, TE and K in that order in the final three rounds. Everything else should be RB/WR, with RB your focus early and WR your focus in the middle of your draft.

If you want some good QBs to target in those rounds let me know.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J35J » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:51 pm

knapplc wrote:There are FAR, FAR more nuances in the QB ranks than you're letting on. I gather that you don't know Fantasy Football like you know Fantasy Baseball, but you're really oversimplifying the football side of this.

Draft RB/RB/WR/WR and either RB or WR in your first five picks. Pretty simple. Get a QB in rounds 6-8, and draft your DEF, TE and K in that order in the final three rounds. Everything else should be RB/WR, with RB your focus early and WR your focus in the middle of your draft.

This is exactly what I'm talking about....

RB/RB/WR/WR/RB/QB/RB/WR/RB/WR/RB/WR/blah, blah, blah....oh its the end of the draft, ok...TE/K/DST Where is the fun in this?

The whole draft and game is RB/WR....not very diverse!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:59 pm

knapplc wrote:There are FAR, FAR more nuances in the QB ranks than you're letting on. I gather that you don't know Fantasy Football like you know Fantasy Baseball, but you're really oversimplifying the football side of this.

I've been playing FFL just as long as FBL (10 years). Doesn't change the fact that after rd 5, I'm ready to quit. RB/WR/RB/WR...zzZZzzzZZzzz X-I
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:06 pm

Don't sell the sport short because there are less positions, though. Fantasy Football is still pretty fun. It sounds like your biggest issue (and it's legitimate, don't get me wrong), is that the scarcity of positions makes one position that much more important than any others. You're talking about two or three positions in Football that have fantasy relevance, compared to six or seven in Baseball.

Easy way to fix that is to play in an IDP league, where you draft offense AND defense. Adding another four or five defensive positions into the mix really livens up the league, and makes the draft that much more competitive. But if it's diversity you want, no - you're not going to find that in a "standard" football draft.

This is your problem:
C - QB
1B - RB
2B - RB
3B - WR
SS - WR
OF - WR
OF - TE
OF - K
UTIL - DEF
SP
SP
SP
SP
RP
RP

There are just more fantasy-relevant positions in Baseball, bottom line. That's why you're finding boredom in Football.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby cordscords » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:23 pm

I enjoy playing FF, but it doesnt touch FB in terms of skill.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:42 pm

cordscords wrote:I enjoy playing FF, but it doesnt touch FB in terms of skill.

I think luck plays a MUCH larger role in football than baseball. With the shorter seasons and smaller rosters, a team getting on a hot streak for even three weeks can drastically affect their playoff seeding. Or if one or two players catches fire during the playoffs a team can win it all in football.

In baseball you really have to have a solid team throughout your roster, and your draft is that much more critical.

In the end both fantasy "sports" are about statistics, so the greater the number of statistics involved the more difficult it's going to be and the more skill will be required to excel.

That said, I still like fantasy football more. But then I'm a football guy. ;D
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:04 pm

knapplc wrote:Don't sell the sport short because there are less positions, though. Fantasy Football is still pretty fun. It sounds like your biggest issue (and it's legitimate, don't get me wrong), is that the scarcity of positions makes one position that much more important than any others. You're talking about two or three positions in Football that have fantasy relevance, compared to six or seven in Baseball.

Easy way to fix that is to play in an IDP league, where you draft offense AND defense. Adding another four or five defensive positions into the mix really livens up the league, and makes the draft that much more competitive. But if it's diversity you want, no - you're not going to find that in a "standard" football draft.

This is your problem:
C - QB
1B - RB
2B - RB
3B - WR
SS - WR
OF - WR
OF - TE
OF - K
UTIL - DEF
SP
SP
SP
SP
RP
RP

There are just more fantasy-relevant positions in Baseball, bottom line. That's why you're finding boredom in Football.

You've pretty much summed it up. I'm not selling the sport short, I love football, just the fantasy game! O:)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:40 pm

I remember last August, I came into our Cafe challenge league draft with little or no preparation whatsoever (shoot, I paid more attention to fantasy soccer at the time) and wound up winning the league on two letters: L.T. Fun to watch your team go on an unbeaten streak, but found it boring as much as I found it fun.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby sportsguy138 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:46 pm

Fantasy football is for people who don't know fantasy hockey. ;7 :b
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Next

Return to General Talk