X360 Expectations - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

X360 Expectations

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

X360 Expectations

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:47 am

Ok, so I just bought an X-Box 360 last night on-line. It should be coming in the mail in another 2 days. I've waited quite awhile to purchase one, waiting for the PS3 to be released, etc. I've been a SONY guy since PSOne, so the switch to 360 was definitely a fight -- but, I feel I made the right decision. My question is for those of you who own a 360 -- what do you think of it? Is it really amazing? I'm mainly into playing sports games; football, basketball, golf, with an occasional action/adventure Tomb Raider type game. I don't play FPS or racing games at all, nor do I have any interest in them. So, will I be blown away by the Maddens, NBA Live/2Ks, Tiger Woods games for the 360, or are they just eh? I have a 50" DLP HDTV to play on, so games should play at maximum possible resolution. How's the controller? I've found it cumbersome in my very brief usage of it -- does it start to feel more natural over time? I've always bee a fan of the PS2 controller, it always felt right in the hand, but I absolutely hated the original X-Box controller. I play on getting a Gold Membership for X-Box On-Line once I'm all done moving back downstate. Anything I should know that only people who own the system know (other than that towel trick thing, that seems pretty annoying to have to do)??

Thanks, gents.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 814)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: X360 Expectations

Postby Boyakasha » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:55 am

Wow, you seem to know more about it than I do and I've had mine from launch. I was like you, strictly a PS guy, but made the switch this time around and am happy I did.
You'll get used to the controller in no time, it's definitely smaller and more comfortable than the original Xbox controller. I probably still prefer Sony's controllers, but I don't notice it anymore.
Madden and Tiger are both pretty decent, but I'm hearing really excellent things about the '08 versions, which both come out in August, I think. If you can, I'd try to hold off and grab those, but if you can't wait, you'll still get your money's worth with the '07s. But, it seems clear that they're just now starting to really take advantage of the system.
I still play MLB 2K7 semi-regularly, and think it's an excellent baseball game; the only other baseball games I played this heavily were ASB2000 for N64 and MVP Baseball 05 for PS2.
Guitar Hero II is a must buy, and the controller will be compatible with GH3 and Rock Band which are coming out late in the year.
Fight Night 3 was and still is a lot of fun and provides hours of hilarity with your buddies because inevitably, it turns into repeated crotch shots until someone gets DQed.
I haven't played any basketball games, but I hear NBA 2K7 is excellent. The thing with 2KSports games like MLB, NBA, and NHL 2K7, besides excellent gameplay, they have free user-created/commished online leagues through XBox Live that'll keep you hooked with not just seasons/playoffs, but with drafts, trades, etc.
As for action games, Lost Planet is pretty cool. I don't like FPS either, but Gears of War is excellent; it's like a hybrid between an action game and a FPS, so you might want to check it out.

Gold XBox Live is definitely a must; it's good you're getting that. Your setup sounds amazing, your games are going to look unbelieveable.
Boyakasha
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 15)

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:55 am

For sports it's essentially the same seeing as the games come out on all systems, though 360 certainly has the better online package, which is a fairly big deal if you will be playing online a lot. I'm not sure about 360 action/adventure games considering I don't play them that much. Though Too Human is coming out somethime this year and that kind of an actionish RPG game with a lot of hype around it. Stranglehold, a John Woo/Chow Yun-Fat game that looks fantastic.

I mean really in my mind the big differences for you are going to be MLB: The Show, the only sports game exclusive of note, so hopefully you like MLB 2k7, the online expierence which Xbox360 runs away with right now, and the action/adventure games. I think you made the right decision as a 360 owner myself, pretty much every game the PS3 is going to get the 360 is as well. Though really it comes down to titles, if you really like MGS, Rachet and Clank, Sly Cooper, or other PS exclusives the PS3 would be the way to go, if that not the case the 360 certainly looks to have the best non niche package.

I'm not some 360 super fan or anything, I'll actually probably get a PS3 for some exclusives assuming they don't jump ship to the 360.

Also, just out of curiousity, are your hands small? I really don't understand how PS controllers can feel the most comfortable. Not that they are bad but the original Xbox controllers were great IMO they filled your hands, your hands didn't dwarf the controller, Dreamcast controllers were great too. 360 controllers aren't near original Xbox size, unfortunately for me, but sounds like that's a good thing for you.
Last edited by TheA'sFatLeadoffMan on Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:40 am

I was a Sony guy too up until PS2. I had a PS2 and loved it, but I wanted to get a system at my mom's house so I got an Xbox and I pretty much jumped ship on Sony as soon as I got it.

There's not much else I can add that others haven't. The sports games by EA were a little disappointing for the first 2 years, but look to be great this year. Both Madden and Tiger Woods should be awesome, and personally I'm not a huge fan of hockey, but I really enjoy EA's hockey game. I'm not a big fan of 2K sports. I got MLB 2K6 because it was the only baseball game available, but it was sub-par from what I had come to enjoy with MVP. I stick with MVPmods for my baseball fix now.

Online play is fantastic. I don't know if you played PS2 online or not but it blows it out of the water. One friends list for all games, voice chat, and the best of all, downloadable content. The fact that you can just download a free demo of a game is pretty awesome and is really helpful when deciding if you want a game or not.

Also there are some pretty cool Xbox Live Arcade games available. You got your classic arcade games like Frogger or Pac-Man, but then there's also games like Uno which doesn't sound like much but is really a blast online.

As Boyakasha mentioned, Guitar Hero II is a must buy. No musical knowledge or guitar skills are needed and it's an absolute blast. I haven't put it down in the 3 weeks I've had it. I've heard a ton of people say they weren't in to this type of game but tried it at a friends house and got completely addicted...give it a shot.

One suggestion I would make is to get the Play and Charge Kit for the controller. You will go through a lot of batteries so having a rechargeable one that can charge while you play is really helpful.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:33 pm

Welcome to the world of XBOX 360! ;D

I don't think you'll be disapointed with the sports games for the 360 this year. Both NCAA Football and Madden look like they're going to be great, and will be much better then last year's versions. Graphics should be amazing as well. I'm not sure what the new basketball games will look like - I played the 2K version of this year's game quite a bit and I thought it was a solid game. Haven't played Tiger Woods.

I love the 360 controller. It's light, the perfect size, and wireless. Teddy nailed it on the head as well when he said to get the play and charge kit - a must buy, especially if you plan to play a lot.

Are you into shooters at all? That's where the 360 really shines IMO. Gears of War, Call of Duty 3, Rainbow Six Vegas... the list goes on. And of course the big one, Halo 3. These games not only have great single player campaigns, but outstanding online play as well. XBOX Live is heads and shoulders above the competetion, and brings a whole new experience to gaming.

Something I would encourage you to do is get the Blockbuster game pass. It's only $20 a month, and it's handy because you can rent new releases first to see if you like them. And in your case, you could try out some of the sports games to tide you over until the new ones are released.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:53 pm

First of all, thanks a ton guys. You all gave super informative, in-depth answers, and I greatly appreciate it. ;D I'm definitely pumped to get my 360 in the mail tomorrow or the next day, even though I won't be setting it up for a few more weeks until I'm completely relocated.

As was mentioned by a few, I've always been a big Madden and Tiger Woods guy. I was a big time NBA Live guy for a long long time as well, but recently NBA 2K has blown them out of the water, so I may look that route for '08. I'll just be holding off until the new releases come out -- I'm in no big rush.

I've played Guitar Hero II for 360 at a friend's and absolutely loved it. I'll definitely be looking into purchasing it.

As for the PS controllers -- I've just always felt comfortable holding them. The original Xbox controller was so cumbersome and clunky, and the buttons were positioned horribly, IMO. Did 360 remove the black and white buttons completely, or just re-locate them elsewhere? Looking at picture(s) of the controller for 360 on-line appear that it's been re-designed much better.

teddy, I agree completely on the hockey game. I'm not a big NHL guy or anything, but EA makes a helluva fun hockey game. I always enjoy it, though I haven't owned one in years; whenever I play at other peoples' places, it's always very well done. I also stick to MVPMods for my baseball gaming for now. I imagine I'll probably wait until next season to buy a baseball game and stick to Madden, Tiger, and whichever basketball game I choose to hold me over until then. I did play PS2 Online and thought it was pretty cool -- back in 2004 I was ranked in the Top 200 for Madden, but have since slowed my video game playing a ton.

Being able to grab Demos is a huge plus, that I'm really looking forward to.

Again, thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate it. ;D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 814)

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:21 pm

Yeah, black and white buttons are gone. There's now 4 shoulder buttons laid out just like the PS2 controller. It's much better than the original Xbox one. ;D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:48 pm

The only games I play are sports (Tiger Woods and Madden) and racing games (Project Gotham 3) and all of them have been great. Being able to download demos and store music on the system is also great. I feel like I am sitting on the airport runway because my 360 is so loud but that is the only negative thing I have to say about it. One other thing, the electric bill for my house has gone up $30 since Christmas 8-) and the only thing that has changed in that time span is I got my 360 on Christmas, the thing uses a lot of power.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:41 pm

sox 06 wrote:The only games I play are sports (Tiger Woods and Madden) and racing games (Project Gotham 3) and all of them have been great. Being able to download demos and store music on the system is also great. I feel like I am sitting on the airport runway because my 360 is so loud but that is the only negative thing I have to say about it. One other thing, the electric bill for my house has gone up $30 since Christmas 8-) and the only thing that has changed in that time span is I got my 360 on Christmas, the thing uses a lot of power.

8-) wow thats the first i ever heard of that..

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Brandaddy » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:16 pm

I gotta say that as 360 owner and having a GF that lives with me as a PS3 owner i think i might play the PS once every 2 weeks and the 360 i prolly play too much and my gf is the same way she was a PS girl and swore up and down how much better the PS is than the 360. The online play is what gets me its fun to rack up achievements to compare with other people.

I would also suggest that you hook it up first and see if it works, my mom bought one for my lil bro a while back and she had to return it twice becuase it wasnt working correctly so test her out see if she works. Another thing is you probably did order the one with the hard drive but if you didnt and you want to play online i think you need the hard drive to do it, im not sure but i was told this by one of the dudes at game crazy. If you like the action games i would suggest Dead Rising, its pretty fun basicly all you do is walk around a mall killling zombies.
Brandaddy
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Video Games