Lets talk Verlander - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lets talk Verlander

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lets talk Verlander

Postby High Heater » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:21 pm

alot of people seriously questioned his ace potential even though he established a lights out but short minor league career with as high a K/per 9 as lirano. his fade in the 2nd half last year brought on doubts and rightfully so.

here we are again and he's pitching even more lights-out then last year. he's uped his K's significantly from last year. due to not having blister problems from the effects of his knuckle-curve he threw as his out-pitch.

this year he switched or might i say got comfotable throwing the traditional 12-6 and it's been as effective as his knuckler.

his stat line as of now is:

97IP 76H 30ER 34BB and 85K

thats one hell of a line if you ask me his K's are starting to crteep up on par with what he's done in college and the minors along with his incredible stuff.

anyone want to make some predictions to this point? he certainly could fade and tire out like last year so that will always be there till the end of the season or the concerns atleast.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Lets talk Verlander

Postby SirDunkALot » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:27 pm

He's probably going to tire down the stretch *dude's still young* but overtime.. man. Going to be nasty.
SirDunkALot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dclark0699 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:20 pm

I traded him preseason for Matt Holliday....not really a trade I regret...but man my staff would be nasty with him.

I think the most impressive thing about him is that he doesn't tire within a game...Last year he had a game throwing 100 in the 9th....and during his no-hitter he was doing the same thing...one word for that....impressive.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:47 pm

Once he puts it together for an entire year, he will be a perenial top 10 pitcher. His stuff is ridiculously good and he obviously knows how to pitch already. THe lack of Ks in the past is what concered me but not anymore.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:18 pm

He had blister problems that kept him from throwing his curve last season. This year he change from a knuckle curve to a more conventional curve and hasn't had a problem with blisters. When he can throw his curve for strikes hitters are at his mercy. His fluid motion and even but cocky demeanor should make him an upper echelon pitcher for years.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:41 am

I didn't draft him because my K/9 ratio was a concern... now I wish that I'd paid better attention to his minor league stats and believed he'd get to this point.
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:39 am

Sell high. Low BABIP, high LOB%. He hasn't pitched much better than last year he just has a much lower ERA. He has also been abused over the last year and a half and another second half fade is more likely than not.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby High Heater » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:42 am

Ender wrote:Sell high. Low BABIP, high LOB%. He hasn't pitched much better than last year he just has a much lower ERA. He has also been abused over the last year and a half and another second half fade is more likely than not.

um a discrepancy of 21 IP/H is looking consistent to me. the abuse part i could agree with which is definetly somethign to spark conversation on
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby FalcoAtL » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:49 am

High Heater wrote:alot of people seriously questioned his ace potential even though he established a lights out but short minor league career with as high a K/per 9 as lirano. his fade in the 2nd half last year brought on doubts and rightfully so.

I think they questioned more his ability to pitch at the same level this year as he did last year. His wearing down last year hinted that might struggle this year, but that certainly hasn't been the case. No one really ever questioned his potential to be the Tiger's ace since he's is obviously better than Bonderman.

In the 2nd year I would say he gets about 7 more wins and ends with 17 (I think he'll get one more before the break). I think he'll again wear down, but I don't think it will be nearly as bad this year. The kid obviously trained in the offseason based on his struggles with fatigue.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby J35J » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:15 pm

Ender wrote:Sell high. Low BABIP, high LOB%. He hasn't pitched much better than last year he just has a much lower ERA. He has also been abused over the last year and a half and another second half fade is more likely than not.

:P

He'll be fine. He isn't getting hit nearly as hard as he did last year. And I'd say he is pitching better than last year... Pretty much everything he's done this year is better than last year except his BB/9
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers