AUCTION KEEPER LEAGUE.......NEED LOTS OF OPINIONS ON THIS RU - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

AUCTION KEEPER LEAGUE.......NEED LOTS OF OPINIONS ON THIS RU

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

AUCTION KEEPER LEAGUE.......NEED LOTS OF OPINIONS ON THIS RU

Postby thebuze » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:52 pm

In my auction keeper league they are trying to add rule called the "super-rookie rule"

This is how it works:

Certain rookies are deemed "super-rookies". These are labelled by the league and it is very subjective. A few that have been given this so far are, hunter pence, ryan braun, phil hughes, etc.

If you have asuper rookie that you didn't draft, but instead pickedup off waivers or free agents, you cannot keep him. He goes back into the draft pool.

Personally I think this rule is retarded. In my opinion I think it completely defeats one of the main purposes of a keeper league.

What do you all think. I would like to post some of the responses on my league mesage board.
thebuze
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: AUCTION KEEPER LEAGUE.......NEED LOTS OF OPINIONS ON THIS RU

Postby Oatsdad » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:38 am

I agree with you - it's a completely idiotic and arbitrary rule. :t
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thebuze » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:09 pm

thx for the response....any other opinions?
thebuze
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby TaturCity34 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:45 pm

Stupid Rule...it goes against part of the spirit of keeper auction leagues.
TaturCity34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SodaPopinsky » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:07 am

As a first year commissioner of an auction keeper league myself, I'm not a fan of this rule. First off, many of these players should be on people's radar during the draft based on the keeper structure of the league. I'm not sure exactly how your league is set up, but my league has a couple of safety nets to prevent these situations from frustrating people. First we have a reserve roster, so a lot of the "super rookies" were drafted at the end of the draft for between $1-3 and just placed on the reserve roster. Also, all free agents are $5. So in my league Hunter Pence was picked up as a Free Agent earlier in the season at a higher price than many of the mentioned "super rookies" were drafted. I don't know if you already have something in place like this or if it would even help, but I figured I'd throw the idea out there.
"I can't drive, so im going to walk all over you." - Soda Popinsky
SodaPopinsky
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby las_vegas_keith » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:15 pm

In my 12-team mixed 5X5 keeper salary league we have a rookie draft after the season starts. Each manager gets to draft five players that are not currently on the major league roster, which includes players in Japan. The players' salaries are $5 if brought up over the season and remain $5 next year and then go up by $5 a year. Much in the way the salaries for the players in the auction go up, player salaries stay the same for one year and then go up by $5 each year they are kept.

The rookies can be kept from year to year, so some guys speculate and grab players that are very young or are on teams in Japan.
las_vegas_keith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby koondog » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:11 am

stupid rule not to allow them to be kept because of some arbitrary label.

But in the league I run, I only allow keepers that were drafted on auction day. If you were smart enough to pick up pence for $1 in march, you can keep him next yr, otherwise FA pickups cannot be kept. We have a large bench (10 spots), so teams try to pick up 1 or 2 stud minors.
koondog
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:15 pm

The biggest problem with what you described as the new rule is the subjective nature of it. Any rule is fine as long as it is bulletproof (and agreed on by everyone of course), but you can't have guys arbitrarily tagged as "super rookies" by the commissioner or even a vote - too often you'd get a case where one manager's players would be tagged and another's wouldn't. I suppose if you had some sort of statistical standard that had to be met (e.g. 25 HRs, 100 RBIs, whatever) it would be goofy but not "wrong". There are so many better ways to handle this situation, as others have mentioned. The simplest is to not allow any free agent to be kept - forcing guys to draft who they project to be the super rookies.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby CraigMasbruch » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:40 pm

Terrible rule. If there's a vote and I'm not the owner of a "Super Rookie", then I'm gonna say they all are! Ankiel? Super Rookie! Maybin? Super Rookie! Mike Fontenot? Super Rookie! If owners have the right to arbitrarily screw each other, they will every time.
CraigMasbruch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby SJNez46 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:21 pm

Ya that is stupid. I would protest.
^ Thanks a ton to Big Pimpin for the sig.^
My Sigs http://www.freewebs.com/sjnez46/sjnez46ssiggallery.htm
SJNez46
Minor League Mentor