Disbanding a Team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Disbanding a Team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Disbanding a Team

Postby rjforlife » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:49 pm

KR wrote:disbanding a team would be your worst move--It really coul mess up the league big time.

Your best bet, and what most people do in these situations(Ive been in one) is just lock the team for the rest of the season. The players will be locked until next season's draft.

Its the only things thats fair.

i just dont know why the disbanding would be so bad. theres really only 1 player that will really change things, soriano, and he will go to a horrible team that has already had a firesale and will make no move to try to win this season. since he will finish last he would get soriano in the draft next year anyways. the rest of the better players

tex
sheffield
sabathia
atkins

are good but not great and if it is a snake draft, teams at the bottom will do ok with getting a weaver/b. hall combo vs. the second pick who would get a tex/garland combo. i just really dont care for the idea of having 27 dead players for 3-4 months. also this is 5x5 roto if i didnt mention it. dont know if that would sway your opinions but i thought i should mention it.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:56 pm

rjforlife wrote:
KR wrote:disbanding a team would be your worst move--It really coul mess up the league big time.

Your best bet, and what most people do in these situations(Ive been in one) is just lock the team for the rest of the season. The players will be locked until next season's draft.

Its the only things thats fair.

i just dont know why the disbanding would be so bad. theres really only 1 player that will really change things, soriano, and he will go to a horrible team that has already had a firesale and will make no move to try to win this season. since he will finish last he would get soriano in the draft next year anyways. the rest of the better players

tex
sheffield
sabathia
atkins

are good but not great and if it is a snake draft, teams at the bottom will do ok with getting a weaver/b. hall combo vs. the second pick who would get a tex/garland combo. i just really dont care for the idea of having 27 dead players for 3-4 months. also this is 5x5 roto if i didnt mention it. dont know if that would sway your opinions but i thought i should mention it.

Either way, it's going to be unfair. But if you disband this year then you are really screwing up the dynamics of league. Those are very good players who would make an incredibly high impact to teams this year and really were not supposed to be on those teams. I would rather do a lottery system at the draft next year than giving bad teams a chance to win this year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bwanna » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:58 pm

rjforlife wrote:but all we are doing is delaying this rewarding. someone is going to get soriano in a draft, and it will be a bad team. why not get it over with now so we have a full field of players available for trading and keepers.

Because it rewards owners based on usually volatile standings. The only accurate standings are toward the very end of the season.

rjforlife wrote:if we wait until next years draft, someone will still be getting a top 5 player when the next best player will be well below that....the post-keeper draft will still be populated at the top with all his players. i would rather get it done now and have a clean 9 teams rather than a 10 team league with a totally dead team.

Are there not other stud FAs going back into the pool at the end of the season due to contract expirations?

Sounds like you've made up your mind, but the majority of people here seem to be of the same opinion. Good luck.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby Yoda » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:01 pm

I would quit any league that disbands a team in the middle of the season. That's just ridiculous.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby machine3 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:02 pm

You can't find anyone to take over the team for the rest of the season?
machine3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rjforlife » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:09 pm

Bwanna wrote:
rjforlife wrote:but all we are doing is delaying this rewarding. someone is going to get soriano in a draft, and it will be a bad team. why not get it over with now so we have a full field of players available for trading and keepers.

Because it rewards owners based on usually volatile standings. The only accurate standings are toward the very end of the season.

rjforlife wrote:if we wait until next years draft, someone will still be getting a top 5 player when the next best player will be well below that....the post-keeper draft will still be populated at the top with all his players. i would rather get it done now and have a clean 9 teams rather than a 10 team league with a totally dead team.

Are there not other stud FAs going back into the pool at the end of the season due to contract expirations?

Sounds like you've made up your mind, but the majority of people here seem to be of the same opinion. Good luck.

there are no contracts its just a straight keeper where we keep 6 guys and 2 rookies. his top 6-8 guys would be the top guys off the board in most scenarios. i really havent made up my mind i just want to be sure before we make any moves on this since it could really affect the league. obviously i have an opinion which way to go, but i am not locked in. it would actually hurt my team to do it this way since i am in first and would get the last pick in all likelihood. i dont know why you would quit a league for disbanding a team, we are just trying to make choice for the league, and disbanding MIGHT be the way to go. everyone here seems to be for locking so i guess that is what we will do. thanks to all who input here, i think all the bases have been covered and we are going to make the right choice.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Simulacrum » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:10 pm

machine3 wrote:You can't find anyone to take over the team for the rest of the season?

Here's a good idea. Post a thread in the classifieds section and I can guarantee you'll find someone willing to take over the team.

I'd really recommend not disbanding midseason. Guaranteed at least one person will feel slighted, shafted, and will lose interest in the league after thinking another team got an unfair advantage.

You do seem very, very keen on breaking apart this dead team though- is there a particular player you have your eye on?
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby rjforlife » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:14 pm

Simulacrum wrote:
machine3 wrote:You can't find anyone to take over the team for the rest of the season?

Here's a good idea. Post a thread in the classifieds section and I can guarantee you'll find someone willing to take over the team.

I'd really recommend not disbanding midseason. Guaranteed at least one person will feel slighted, shafted, and will lose interest in the league after thinking another team got an unfair advantage.

You do seem very, very keen on breaking apart this dead team though- is there a particular player you have your eye on?

not in the least. even if i did id have no chance picking 9th. i would of course love to get some of the guys on that team but they would all be gone before i would get a shot. of course we could get a new owner, but no one in the league wants someone we dont know in the league. this is a carryover from a keeper league that we ran for 9 years that we re-set up this season. the defunct owner was a good friend of everyone in our league and was an excellent fantasy football member. for reasons unknown, he did not invest himself in the least into this baseball league and more or less resigned.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jfg » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:34 pm

I'm in a league that had the same situation, all of us friends. We had about 3-4 guys we knew that wanted in if a team left so that made it pretty easy. If you're good friends can't you at least get the guy to keep his roster intact to keep DL'ed guys out? If you lock it, you run the risk of some teams getting to play a full roster one week and other teams getting to play a lineup full of guys on the DL.

In a keeper league, I don't even think they should be redrafted next year. You should get somebody to take over the team next season.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby rjforlife » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:11 pm

jfg wrote:I'm in a league that had the same situation, all of us friends. We had about 3-4 guys we knew that wanted in if a team left so that made it pretty easy. If you're good friends can't you at least get the guy to keep his roster intact to keep DL'ed guys out? If you lock it, you run the risk of some teams getting to play a full roster one week and other teams getting to play a lineup full of guys on the DL.

In a keeper league, I don't even think they should be redrafted next year. You should get somebody to take over the team next season.

fortunately its roto so having the dead team doesnt hurt anyone. we have been trying to get some other people we all know into the league but just cannot find someone everyone agrees on. it seems petty if only one league member has a problem with someone but it doesnt seem right to force an owner into conflict. personally, i agree with you on the point that if we dont dish out his team now, theres no reason to dish out his team come draft time....seems like a double standard. just have to see what the league says i guess....
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner