High Waiver Priority = Overrated - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

High Waiver Priority = Overrated

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

High Waiver Priority = Overrated

Postby Slayer Rules » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:19 pm

I have to laugh at the way things have turned around in my league. Early in the season I vowed to be patient with my waiver pickups and missed out on picking up intriguing but unproven players like Pence and Braun because I didn't want to burn my #3 priority. Once I burned the priority (on Accardo) I knew that it would take me a while to get up that high again, so I loosened up my standards quite a bit. I've been able to grab Pence (once he became available I was determined not to let him slip again) and Wheeler here recently with a #12 priority, while all along I was sure they'd be taken ahead of me. But now the owners with the higher priorities are doing the same thing I was doing earlier - being cautious to a fault.....
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: High Waiver Priority = Overrated

Postby bobbing_headz » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:30 pm

I'm not sure if I agree with you or not. I think that having a high waiver isn't overrated as long as you know the right time to use it. Be too selective and you end up missing everybody but be too eager and you use your waiver on a guy like Hughes or Butler and end up with nothing. Personally, I started the season with the 6th waiver but held on enough until I had the 2nd. i waited and waited and finally used it on Capps when Torres got demoted and it turned out to be one of the best things I pulled. With a surplus of closers I was able to deal Capps for much needed steals. Although, being so cautious with my waiver I've pulled (nearly) all-nighters to nab guys when they clear waivers (Pence).
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Slayer Rules » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:52 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:....Although, being so cautious with my waiver I've pulled (nearly) all-nighters to nab guys when they clear waivers (Pence).

That is truly hilarious. Yes - I've considered doing this a couple of times but have never actually done it. You know you've got a sick mind when you even consider such a sacrifice ;)
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby smoovethug » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:57 pm

A lot of this is due to how Yahoo screwed with the minor leaguers, having some on FA's and adding some later. Last year I had #1 and held out for Hamels who was added when he was called up. If it still worked that way having a good waiver priority won't be overrated. All depends on your league as well. If you're in a league where some knucklehead dropped Mike Young and you cashed in I'm sure you wouldn't think that top waiver was overrated. :-°

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:15 am

When guys like Justin Morneau and Matt Holliday were dropped after their slow starts last season, I don't think the guys who snagged them up with their high priorities in competitive leagues thought it was overrated. I imagine Garrett Atkins was dropped in some leagues after his start -- if someone was wise enough to snag him up before he cleared, they are now reaping the benefits. Those in deeper leagues who have been able to grab Ryan Braun, Corey Hart, Felix Pie, Yovani Gallardo, certainly aren't complaining at this point, nor are those who grabbed and hung onto Hunter Pence from the get go. Adam Lind is heating up, so those who burned on him and hung tight are starting to be rewarded as well. It's all about patience, and using your priority intelligently. I've found that the weaker my league is, the less I need to be concerned about priority, as players clear waivers more frequently, and I am able to get players with lower priorities. In my most competitive leagues, heck, I'd trade a player for the #1 priority in a heartbeat.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:27 am

Slayer Rules wrote:
bobbing_headz wrote:....Although, being so cautious with my waiver I've pulled (nearly) all-nighters to nab guys when they clear waivers (Pence).

That is truly hilarious. Yes - I've considered doing this a couple of times but have never actually done it. You know you've got a sick mind when you even consider such a sacrifice ;)

Well actually after about the 3rd time I realized I could just set my alarm :D
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:38 pm

I like having a lower priority waiver position, so I can force other owners with higher priority to toss and turn in their sleep. Then in the morning, I pillage their villages and hear the lamentations of their women.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby davidmarver » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:07 pm

I have the number 1 priority in my AL-Only league. Once the deadline comes and a big-time player goes to the AL, I'm gonna be stoked. It's certainly not overrated in league specific leagues.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Fantasy Man 27 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:05 pm

davidmarver wrote:I have the number 1 priority in my AL-Only league. Once the deadline comes and a big-time player goes to the AL, I'm gonna be stoked. It's certainly not overrated in league specific leagues.

That is very true. I didn't even think of that...
Fantasy Man 27
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pangbones » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:55 pm

I almost hate having the #1 waiver in my league. I never know who to use it on. It is a very competitive league, though it's a bit shallow. The best player dropped this year was probably Frank Thomas, and I had no room for him. I had the #1 this year and last year, and burned them both on rookies, (C Hamels, and R Braun). I always find myself debating whether or not a player is "#1 worthy", and will let some decent players slip through hoping to land the big time player that may never come!!
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers