Justin Morneau (chest) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Justin Morneau (chest)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Justin Morneau (chest)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:12 pm

Justin Morneau left Friday’s Twins game after colliding with Marlins catcher Miguel Olivo in the eighth inning. Morneau appeared to catch his sternum on Olivo’s left shoulder and the impact stopped Morneau to a halt. The ball scooted past Olivo, and Morneau was able to touch home plate for a run, but he stayed hunched over as Manager Ron Gardenhire came to check on him.

More on Morneau's hospital trip here...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Justin Morneau (chest)

Postby AllStar215 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:26 pm

Justin Morneau was taken to the hospital following a collision with Miguel Olivo in Friday's game.
It didn't seem very serious at the time, but Morneau was coughing up blood afterwards and may have suffered a broken sternum. If so, it'd be a crushing blow to the Twins' hopes. Garrett Jones would likely be called up to play first base in his place. The Twins could step up their efforts to bring in Ty Wigginton. Jun. 22 - 10:13 pm et
Source: Minneapolis Star Tribune

Broken sternum...ouch...That doesn't sound good
AllStar215
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AllStar215 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:29 pm

Some information I found in case it is in fact a broken sternum..

How long is the recovery for a broken sternum?
Depending on the severity of the injury, a broken sternum can take from 6 weeks to 6 months to heal. Physical therapy is called for in certain cases.

Care must be taken with a broken sternum to immobilize the area. Any further damage can work its way to the rib cage and may puncture a long. The quicker treatment is administered the faster recovery can begin.
AllStar215
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jamesh1985 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:46 pm

so will he be on the DL for sure? I planned on picking up phil hughes just to fill the dl slot with chris carpenter but if justin is going to the dl then i'll have to fill that spot with him

also, will ramon hernadez be ok for a starting catcher role, figuring his stent on the dl lately, piazza and buck are out there
jamesh1985
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:50 pm

It seems like it's too early to tell, but if I see any updates I'll pass 'em on. This would be a serious blow to the Twins if he were lost for a great length of time, he is The Man in our line-up.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jamesh1985 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:53 pm

.... especially having torri hunter in my lineup too
jamesh1985
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:00 pm

Just got this from the Twins' team site. Kind of sad quote by Torii at the end of this piece...

MIAMI -- Justin Morneau left Friday's game against the Marlins in the seventh inning after he was injured in a collision with Miguel Olivo at home plate.

Morneau, whom manager Ron Gardenhire said was spitting blood and having trouble breathing after the incident, was taken from the locker room on a stretcher after the game and was scheduled to undergo X-rays on his chest overnight. Morneau was wearing an oxygen mask as he left, but was alert and fiddling with a personal communication device in his hands.

With two out in the eighth and Morneau at first, pinch-hitter Jason Kubel lined a ball just inside the left-field line and into the corner. Josh Willingham bobbled the ball as he tried to pick it up, and Morneau was waved around the third. The relay from Hanley Ramirez skipped under Olivo just as Morneau crashed into him. As a woozy Morneau reached for the plate to formalize his run, the ball skidded into the Florida dugout, allowing Kubel to come all the way around to score and tie the game at 4.

Morneau stayed down on all fours for several moments after the play, prompting Gardenhire to come onto the field. Morneau was replaced by Luis Rodriguez in the bottom half of the inning.

Gardenhire called it "a scary incident."

"He had nowhere to go," Gardenhire said. "He just had to try to go through him. It wasn't a violent collision, but obviously, it just hit right in a bad spot, kind of an unprotected place."

The Minnesota locker room was somber after the game -- which Florida won, 5-4, on Ramirez's homer in the bottom of the eighth -- as players tried to piece together details of Morneau's condition.

"That's the tough part," Torii Hunter said. "We haven't heard anything. Guys are just kind of sitting around the clubhouse right now just trying to figure out what's going on. I think I'm going to sit around here to just wait and see what happens."

Tom Keller is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Gang Green » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:16 am

Per Rotoworld:

X-rays on Justin Morneau's chest showed no broken bones. He'll be kept in the hospital overnight because of a bruised lung.

Morneau, who was given an oxygen mask after spitting up blood, is not expected to play the rest of this series against Florida and will be re-evaluated Sunday by a Marlins team doctor. Maybe this injury, which appeared minor at first and then got scary in a hurry, won't send him to the DL after all. Still, the Twins might want to call up Garrett Jones to fill in at first base for a few days. Jun. 23 - 12:11 am et

Thankfully he's ok, for his sake and for my fantasy team's sake. I have Teixeira too. :o
I could be wrong in what I'm saying but I'll be dead before I realize it.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wildbill » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:20 am

My bubonic plauge touch does it again!!!

Seriously, this would make my 5th lengthy injury to my top 11 draft picks if he misses at least 3 or 4 weeks. I believe I've had at least the 7 or 8 lengthy injuries overall if you count aquired players. That doesn't even begin to include he players I drafted that have severly underperformed experts predictions, Soriano, Delmon Young anyone? I'm not even counting FAs I've picked up that got hurt almost right away or FAs that went into cold streaks when I picked them up. I might as well take responsibilty for cursing Barrett too (yeah i drafted him too). All I can say is if you are a Jimmy Rollins owner trade him now, I believe he'll break his wrist sliding into second pretty soon. And shortly after that F-Rod's arm is going to fall off. I'm serious, that's the way my season is going. I almost forgot I put Lidge on the DL too (picked him up). Oh and I have Harden so forget about him returning to the starting rotation, he'll be back on the DL by the end of the month.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:03 am

Early signs are positive that it won't be long-term. Good news for Morneau, Twins fans, and Morneau fantasy owners.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates