How to improve in a trade-phobic league? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

How to improve in a trade-phobic league? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to improve in a trade-phobic league? WHIR

Postby schmidty » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:51 pm

Past the half-way point of the regular fantasy season, and some things about this squad/league have me scratching my head. Any insight would be appreciated. 10-team H2H non-keeper, 6x5 (with OPS), 2 DL spots allowed. I'm doing well (2nd place with a 71-42-8 record). But I'm getting pounded this week, and the next 2 weeks face teams that crushed me the first time around. I could easily slip to 4th or 5th in the next couple of weeks. This is my current team:

C: Johjima
1B: Ortiz
2B: O Hudson
3B: M Cabrera
SS: Furcal
OF: Holliday
OF: Hunter
OF: Rios
Util: Berkman (1B/OF)
Bn: Abreu (OF) - though I really try to give Abreu lots of PT by sitting Berk, Rios, or Hunter if I think they have bad matchups
Bn: Atkins (3B)

SP: Lackey, Sabathia, J Shields, Snell, Burnett (currently on DL), Gallardo, Buerhle (recently picked as a spot start for K's/ERA/WHIP), Harden (just off DL in A's pen)
RP: FRod, CCordero, Capps, Accardo
DL: B Myers, P Martinez

As mentioned in the thread title, I've come to the realization that this league does not like to trade. There have been two trades all year, involving just 3 teams. I did a Saito/Cuddyer for Berkman deal, since I thought my team could use a little more HR/OPS firepower (hasn't paid off yet). I used a #1 waiver on Atkins with the intention of holding him for a trade when he improved. And I've been stockpiling closers, also with the idea of trade bait. I'd love to package one of my 5 OFers, Atkins, a sell-high SP, and/or a closer to patch my holes. But no ones biting even though some teams are clearly extremely weak at those spots (and the 2 other "trade" teams don't need what I have). So I'm starting to think that I'm on my own, and any improvement that happens will come from the FA list.

Here's how I see my team critically (but you're welcome to disagree). I've been struggling for SBs (only a 3-6-2 record), though only 7 SBs from having the 3rd best total in the league (essentially the difference is if Furcal had just been stealing like he did last year). I dropped Barrett for Johjima, which I think was a good move. I dropped Barfield for Hudson a bit back - 2B is still a bit of a question mark. Furcal has been weak as well, and not improving. But overall the offense has been strong, thanks to Ortiz/Hunter/MCab/Rios/Holliday. I have no trouble getting saves with all those closers, but blowing out my opponent in saves every week may not be the best use of my roster. I've been getting W's and K's by sheer volume, but the back half of my SP rotation seems very shaky.

There are some good guys on the FA list. By position:

C: Barrett, Buck, Estrada, Napoli
1B: Sexson, Kotchman, A LaRoche
2B: Upton (comes off waivers on the 24th, I have 10th position), Kendrick, Weeks, Polanco
3B: Iwamura, Braun, Inge
SS: Harris, A Gonzalez, Greene, Tulowitzki
OF: Matthews Jr, Pence, Willingham, Hart, Willits
SP: Carpenter (on DL), Capuano (on DL), Mussina, Gorzellany, Lincecum, Zito, Vazquez, Mitre, Hughes (on DL)
RP: only closer left is Hennessey

That list probably illustrates some of the problem. A good manager could probably patch a playoff team (top 6) together from that group. I'm not worried about not being good enough to make the playoffs. But I'd like to strengthen my team so it'll be a force to win the title.

Any moves that you see just involving the FA list? Some of those guys at 2B are very intriguing. Lince is one to keep an eye on, but I don't think I can justify him on my roster at this point. Stashing Carpenter is very tempting (even though my DL spots are overloaded as it is). Maybe it's worth it to be weak for the next month in order to potentially unleash a rotation of Sabathia, Lackey, Pedro, Carpenter, Harden, Shields, Snell, and Burnett/Gallardo/Lincecum/Mussina down the stretch? I think when Myers comes back I'll have to bite the bullet and release someone like Accardo/Capps/Cordero, because 5 closers (plus the bullpen Harden) just doesn't do me any good. If you suggest any adds, please suggest a drop to make the space.

Thanks for any help/insight you have. Leave a link and I'll answer yours!
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How to improve in a trade-phobic league? WHIR

Postby Crazy Wolf » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:58 pm

I like the pitching. Lackey, Sabathia, Snell, Burnett and Shields are a nice core of SP. Snell is a great pitcher. Often overlooked by his OK win-loss total (6-4), he has a 2.63 ERA and a good amount of k's. I also saw that carpenter was available. I would definelty stash him b/c you'll regret it when someone else does it and he starts doing good. Ortiz should heat up and you should ahve a decent chance at a title.
Crazy Wolf
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RyeWhiskey » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:28 pm

Alright man, here's what I would do:
1. Drop Hudson for Kendrick. You say you need steals? Kendrick will take more than Hudson and in the long run produce more all around. I'd also like to wait for Upton and see if you could get him over Kendrick, if not, take Kendrick over Hudson.
2. Drop Atkins (MCab solid all day every day) for a SP. I like Carpenter if you have a free DL spot, so if you do I'd make that pickup then make another. I'd take either Gorz or Lince (wait on Lince though).
3. When Myers comes back, Accardo is your man to drop. Capps is better and will be in all year, while Accardo is more unstable. You could also drop Buerhle assuming you nab Carpenter and/or Gorz/Lince.

Those are my thoughts, thanks for your help with my team. Lemme know if you need anything else.

Monkey
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mr_Master2 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:00 pm

Overall you have a solid team. The only suggestion I can make is to place a waiver for Upton, cutting Hudson. I'd also keep an eye on Braun, he's been pretty good so far. If Atkins continues to struggle, pick Braun up. Carpenter is tempting, but you don't need him so I wouldn't bother. The only other suggestion I can make is to upgrade SS. Furcal is overrated, and is dead weight so far. I'd normally suggest trading him, but if keeps this up another month, I'd flat out cut him. Any hot SS FA will outproduce Furcal at any given week. For example, Harris has been great the past two weeks. That's all I can offer.
Mr_Master2
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby sabre7 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:58 pm

Your pitching is good, I wouldnt really mess with it. I second watching Braun, Im not real sure if Atkins will turn around this season. Carpenter is a tempting pickup that I am toying with the idea of right now also, but its never a safe bet. I guess he can always be stashed in a DL slot and if someone better goes on DL just drop him. Picking up Kendrick seems like a good move as well. Hudson seems to have cooled off a little, and you do need the SBs'

Help? http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=302895
sabre7
College Coach
College Coach

Postby locomotion » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:29 pm

Sounds like a broken record, but braun (5 SB's) will give you some steals, as will hart (15 SB's) and pence (6). All three will give you some hits...the only question is where to start them (could stick braun in you UTL spot until berkman heats up). I agree with Master and Monkey about dropping Atkins for Braun. I can sympathize with you on the trade issue, there hasnt been a single trade in my league the entire year. Good luck, and thanks for the help
locomotion Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby schmidty » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:37 pm

Thanks for the help. Even though I ask these questions with a good idea of the answer, I find it helpful to hear where other FBB players are coming from before making a move. I moved parts of this questions over to the "add/drop/waiver" forum since it also seemed to fit (plus more traffic :> !). Here's what happened:

1) Buerhle was dropped for another spot-starter, Mussina, who was dropped for Carpenter. News of him coming back after the ASB can't be ignored.
2) Someone picked up Upton and stashed him on the DL - so that's out :,( Pence and Hart are gone ... but my OF/Util is kind of crowded anyway.
3) I actually got a trade to go through. I offered Atkins/Shields for Sheets, and was shocked when the guy responded he didn't want Atkins but was ok with Shields-Sheets 8-) I saw MYoung on his bench, asked about him, and he offered his Sheets/MYoung for my Shields/OHudson. Needless to say, I accepted.
4) Assuming the league doesn't veto, I won't have a 2B as of Friday. But I'm flipping a coin between Kendrick and Weeks. Leaning towards Kendrick at the moment, though if Weeks shows signs of the 5 cat potential we thought he had I might swap them to get more speed/power into the lineup. Not sure who I drop to make room for a 2B. If Harden gets shelved again, the decision is made for me. Otherwise, as crazy as it sounds, I might out-right drop Furcal, because he'd have no role on my team and the other teams have zero interest in him (at least Atkins has shown 0.300 AVG, 1.000 OPS ability for the last month). Or maybe Gallardo if he goes to the bullpen. I'll play it by ear.

So on Friday, my new look team will be:

C: Johjima
1B: Ortiz
2B: Kendrick
3B: M Cabrera
SS: M Young
OF: Holliday, Rios, Hunter
Util: Berkman (1B/OF)
Bn: Abreu (OF), Atkins (3B) and/or Furcal (SS)

SP: Sabathia, Lackey, Sheets, Snell, Burnett, Gallardo (if still a starter), Harden (if not DLed)
RP: FRod, CCordero, Capps, Accardo, Myers (on DL, but no more open spots)
DL: Carpenter, P Martinez
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team