ESPN Insider - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

ESPN Insider

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: ESPN Insider

Postby Yoda » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:12 pm

Anything related ESPN is horrible. I can't even watch the games on ESPN without the mute button. I don't even visit their website anymore with all the ads and commercial crap.

ESPN magazine? Please.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:46 pm

Why go there at all, really? The same information is available everywhere, and I'm sorry, in today's world of superstar sportswriter celebrities, they're all talking, but each one is just saying one of two things. There's no insight into the game that you get from ESPN you wouldn't from somewhere else. Remember ESPN Mobile? Yeah, that was a great idea. I'd like to meet all the morons that signed up for that garbage (no offense of course, present company excluded). I'll go to ESPN.com on occasion for stats or standings... but I don't need to drop a monthly fee to hear what some doofus has to say about how awesome/horrible bonds/arod/whoever is every other day.

And have you seen ESPN "the magazine?" It's the size of Gibraltar. You can't even hold it. It's mostly close up shots of Peyton Manning's ass or some dude's sweaty face. Then an 18 page article on what TO eats for breakfast.

I digress
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AdvRider » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:17 pm

Coppermine wrote:Why go there at all, really? The same information is available everywhere, and I'm sorry, in today's world of superstar sportswriter celebrities, they're all talking, but each one is just saying one of two things.

Hey now. I'll stick up for ESPN's Jayson Stark. He does tremendous, fact-filled, highly entertaining work, often with offbeat and "useless" material (statistical oddities, and other little gems) that you won't find anywhere else. It's obvious the guy rolls up his sleeves and works his tail off.

Alas, a lot of Stark's content is "Insider Only" ... if I could subscribe to Web-only content for $20 a year, I'd give it a try. But I refuse to get that waste of trees that masquerades as a magazine, at $40 a year for the whole package. :*

One thing I do enjoy about ESPN.com is the SportsNation polls and results showing how the majority is thinking.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 19)

Postby sportsfan1433 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:12 pm

i love the rumor central part of espn. I dont have the insider so i can never read a lot about it, just a glimpse of where players might go, and none of my friends have it either so i cant use their account
sportsfan1433
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:02 pm

AdvRider wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Why go there at all, really? The same information is available everywhere, and I'm sorry, in today's world of superstar sportswriter celebrities, they're all talking, but each one is just saying one of two things.

Hey now. I'll stick up for ESPN's Jayson Stark. He does tremendous, fact-filled, highly entertaining work, often with offbeat and "useless" material (statistical oddities, and other little gems) that you won't find anywhere else. It's obvious the guy rolls up his sleeves and works his tail off.

Alas, a lot of Stark's content is "Insider Only" ... if I could subscribe to Web-only content for $20 a year, I'd give it a try. But I refuse to get that waste of trees that masquerades as a magazine, at $40 a year for the whole package. :*

One thing I do enjoy about ESPN.com is the SportsNation polls and results showing how the majority is thinking.

This is like Fantastic Four 2. If people keep paying to see mediocre movies, they'll keep making them.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:47 pm

Umm... OT but Fantastic Four 2 was very good. I'm glad I went. Might not be for everyone but if you're a fan of comic book movies you'll enjoy it, I think. O:)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:45 am

sportsfan1433 wrote:i love the rumor central part of espn. I dont have the insider so i can never read a lot about it, just a glimpse of where players might go, and none of my friends have it either so i cant use their account

I've noticed over the years that ESPN's rumor central just takes a bunch of information from the local papers around the league that day. It is nothing you couldn't find anywhere else. This site, prosportsdaily.com, provides the same information for free. That's where I usually go for offseason/trade deadline rumors.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby Madison » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:03 am

knapplc wrote:their Magic Money Tree

Where can I get one of those? :B
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:32 am

Ironically, I might pay for “Insider” Web access if it was $20 a year. But it’s $40 a year -- and includes 28 issues of “ESPN the Magazine.”

I need a sports magazine in my mailbox like I need gonorrhea. Thanks, but I’d rather save a tree. Others like it, great, just offer a choice.

I agree. It would be nice to have a choice.

mweir145 wrote:
sportsfan1433 wrote:i love the rumor central part of espn. I dont have the insider so i can never read a lot about it, just a glimpse of where players might go, and none of my friends have it either so i cant use their account

I've noticed over the years that ESPN's rumor central just takes a bunch of information from the local papers around the league that day. It is nothing you couldn't find anywhere else. This site, prosportsdaily.com, provides the same information for free. That's where I usually go for offseason/trade deadline rumors.

But it's amazing how lazy people are. They don't want to search. They just want it to fall into their lap.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Coppermine » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:11 pm

Forget rumor central, if you want to hear the exact same buzz from local newspapers around the country, just check out Pro Sports Daily. It's all the rumors and, get this... it's unbelievable, I know, but.... it's free!

You can even check out rumors by team.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk