when to start a pitcher - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

when to start a pitcher

when to start a pitcher

Postby slowday » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:04 am

This is my first year playing fantasy baseball and there has been a lot to learn. I never realized what a casual baseball fan I was until I started playing fantasy baseball. I'm in one of the Yahoo roto non-keeper mixed 5x5 leagues and I have the option to start a player or bench him up to five minutes before the start of the game, but usually I just let the roster play out. A couple of days ago I picked up Matt Cain off the FA list. Cain will be home in SF against the Yankees who just lost a series on the road in Colorado and I'm getting a bad feeling about starting Cain but I really don't know enough to make an informed choice. In this case the win is not important but ERA and WHIP is. What kind of stats should I be looking at to help me make a decision or do most people just go with their gut based on circumstances; or is this just too complicated a problem for someone playing for the first time to worry about. thanks

slow
slowday
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: when to start a pitcher

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:30 am

If you are in a roto league, there are many considerations. You mention that you need ERA and WHIP help. Are you sure?? What I would do is see how you are in those cats. Checking the scoring ledger should accomplish that. How are you doing in max IP?? The standard league uses 1,250 IP as the max in roto leagues. If you need to know whether to start an individual pitcher, I would see how you are doing in IP, in the pitching cats, and how that pitcher has done either lately and/or against that specific team.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby slowday » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:58 am

Lofunzo

Thanks for the ideas. I checked the amount of IP against everyone else in the league and I'm around 527 which is around where everyone else is at. We do get 1250 and since we are still a couple of weeks from the all star game. This is something I haven't thought about but since I have pitchers who will go seven or eight innings a game I'm going to have to pay attention to more carefully. The WHIP category in my league is fairly close for the majority of the teams. Five teams have a whip separated by .01. I'm at 1.19, three teams at 1.20 and one at 1.21. A lot of hits and walks would lose me points. There is a lot more spread in the ERA category and I can handle a bad outing without losing a points.

He's never faced the Yankees. But he's done pretty well in his last two starts, both of which were AL teams. That's probably as close as I can get to the Yankees. He's 0-4 in his last four starts but with an era of 3.1 in those four games and a whip of 1.25. So I'm going to start him.

Thanks for you help with this.

slowday
slowday
T-Ball Trainer

Postby danvan18 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:34 am

what i usually do is go look at who my 2 start pitchers are that week. 2 start guys can be very valuable, especially if you need help with K's. theres usually plenty of sites that come up on a google search for "week *whatever* 2 start pitchers". i usually go with all the 2 start guys, unless i really dont trust them, or i have too many 1 start guys who are clearly better.

you also obviously want to look at the pitchers recent outings. if theyve been sucking, for example Chris Young (which is a direct relation to his back problem), you may want to sit them down. unfortunately, my rotation, which includes Young, Bonderman, King Felix, Javier Vazquez, James Shields, Ben Sheets, Rich Hill, and Roger Clemens, is riddled with great pitchers who are recently struggling. i decided to sit Young, Vazquez, and Clemens (for good reason.) so far the strategy of going with the hottest hands is working. Felix looked good, while Chris Young was terrible.

You also want to check out who theyre facing, but IMO that isnt as big of a factor as people make it out to be. if youre on the fence, go see how theyve done against the team their facing this season. unless theyve gotten smashed, i wouldnt use that as a reason to sit them. you can also go as far as to see how the opposing offense theyll be facing has been hitting lately.
C Posey
1B Fielder
2B Pedroia
SS Scutaro
3B Headley
OF Kemp
OF McCutchen
OF A.Gonzalez
UT Pagan
BN Bautista Victorino Utley Machado Stubbs W.Chen Marcum J.Garcia

SP Bumgarner Hellickson Scherzer Ed.Jackson Lynn

RP Papelbon Putz Street
danvan18
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:23 am

Roto is a different animal.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Return to Beginner's Forum