New 3B to sub for Nevin - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

New 3B to sub for Nevin

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New 3B to sub for Nevin

Postby nkeitt » Sun May 12, 2002 7:48 pm

I've got a problem: I need to pick up a 3B to cover while Nevin is out. I picked up Eric Hinske out of FA, but I know squat about him. Also available are:

Beltre
Conine
Castilla
Lopez
David Bell

I don't know much about any of them either, with the exception of Conine since I used to live in NoVa and am a Birds fan by default since they are the closest local team. (On a slight tangent here, it never ceases to amaze me that the same guy who put together Camden Yards has simultaneously managed to make such horrible financial decisions about his personnel. Now that Cal is gone, I wouldn't be surprised if more fans are coming to see the stadium than are coming to see the team!)

Any suggestions as to who I should pick up?

NK

P.S. This just in! FBC Sleeper pick Sean Burroughs is also available through FA. Will his production increase with Nevin's absence?
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Sun May 12, 2002 8:01 pm

I think you made the right choice, Beltre's potential notwithstanding. Hinske was very underrated coming into the season thanks to the Burroughs/Blalock/Ensberg hype, but he may well be the best of them all. He certainly looks more mature than most guys new to the show. Stick with him.

Yeah, I love Camden, too. Where in NoVa did you live?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Hinske

Postby cwebb » Mon May 13, 2002 6:16 am

Hinske should be a great addition to your team!

My team is in ruins right now, I had Chipper, Alfonzo, Nevin changing positions, now I traded Chipper and Nevin goes down, leaving me with Alfonzo starting at third!

You should have a good time with Hinske!
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mktgteach » Mon May 13, 2002 3:42 pm

Well, another post that I agree with Arlo. Blalock and Burroughs garnered so much hype that Hinske slipped through the cracks. If you look at his stats, .304 BA...5 HR's, 19RBI's, 23 Runs, and 4 SB's. For comparison, look at Scott Rolen. .251 BA...6 HR's, 24 RBI's, 23 Runs, 1 SB. Am I saying that Hinske is better than Rolen, well stat wise as of now, he is neck and neck. Will he keep it up? Since he is a rookie, that is the fun of fantasy, we will have to see. With the veterans we can look at their previous years and establish a pattern. I say hold tight and hopefully you will be using Hinske's name in the same sentence as Pujols.

;-D
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby nkeitt » Mon May 13, 2002 8:53 pm

Wow, it looks like I stumbled across a winner. Now here's a bit of a follow up question. If Hinske's worth keeping through the season, does it make sense to put Nevin on the trading block to try to get a quality pitcher (which is my main weak point)? I figure he won't be out too long and if he was packaged with, say, Matt Clement, do you think that might be enough to garner some interest?

As to Arlo's question, I grew up in Fairfax, VA.

And thanks for the feedback, I feel a lot better about losing Nevin for a few games :->
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers