Mixed 5x5 12-team Auction Strategy. Advice wanted. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mixed 5x5 12-team Auction Strategy. Advice wanted.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mixed 5x5 12-team Auction Strategy. Advice wanted.

Postby redsrule » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:16 pm

AL/NL 12-team 5x5 non-keeper very competitive league (less than 10 points between 2nd an 10th last season). We are switching over to auction format ($260 for a 23-man roster) after years of a straight draft. None of us has any experience in an auction format, but we all read the same stuff.

What I'm wondering is, which is the best strategy since this is a deep talent pool?

a) Pay premium for premium players and fill in with what's left at the end,

or,

b) Avoid spending more than 20-25 on anyone, and fill in with solid but unspectacular performers.

Sub-question: Is the answer different for hitters and pitchers?

When I look at some site projections for mixed league prices, the top guy is "worth" around $25. But in talking with a few of my fellow owners - taking into account the excitement of our first auction and inexperience with the format - I'm pretty confident A-Rod, Pujols, Vlad, Prior, etc. will all go for well over $30.

So, should I sit back and let others spend on the superstars? If I do, I feel I risk losing out on the best bargains at the end. His $35 for Pujols + $1 for, say, Marlon Byrd at the end might be more productive than the $18 apiece I pay for Bernie Williams and Steve Finley.

Sorry for the length. Any recommendations?
redsrule

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Re: Mixed 5x5 12-team Auction Strategy. Advice wanted.

Postby swarmee » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:23 pm

redsrule wrote:What I'm wondering is, which is the best strategy since this is a deep talent pool?

My strategy in a single-year auction league is a meld of a few different strategies. I like to get one offensive and pitching studs (may overpay a little) as anchors, and then fill in with bargains near the end of the draft. I tend to not spend that much on pitching, as it's easier to find pitching standouts on the waiver wire than hitters. I think that in an auction, position scarcity is much less important, as people tend to spend $5 more on someone with multiple eligibility than what they're usually worth.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby redsrule » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:31 pm

Thanks. So you go with a tiered (for example: 1 $35 player, 2 $25 players, 3 $20 players, 4 $15 players, and then round out the rest with endgame bargains)?

Also, when it sit your experience that the bargains start coming in? Halfway? Three-quarters of the way?
redsrule

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby swarmee » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:42 pm

redsrule wrote:Thanks. So you go with a tiered (for example: 1 $35 player, 2 $25 players, 3 $20 players, 4 $15 players, and then round out the rest with endgame bargains)?

Well, here's what I did in the Auction Keeper League on this website:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... hp?t=27031
Got two hitting studs: Wilson and Guerrero, filled up with mid-tiered outfielders, and got Pedro to anchor my pitching staff. But that's mainly because I noticed a lot of owners holding back in the early going, so although the studs weren't bargains, I preferred them as anchor picks. That way I didn't end up with a lot of money left over at the end of the draft. The only reason I ended up with money left over was due to a trade I made.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:04 pm

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby stabone76 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:37 pm

My advice is since its your guys' first year doing auction, to throw out alot of people you dont want that should go in the medium range. Either nobody will bid on them andyou get them cheap because everyone is saving money for the big guns, oOR what usually happens is people blow their money early on them and you are set with lots of cash when you get to the players you really want.
stabone76
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers