Is there a way to boost OPS without killing AVG? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is there a way to boost OPS without killing AVG?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is there a way to boost OPS without killing AVG?

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:49 pm

Are the two statistics of batting average and OPS (on-base % + slugging %) nearly mutually exclusive? The big sluggers of the game that can also hit (Vlad, Pujols, etc) are pivotal to keep both stats afloat, but what if you don't have those kind of guys on the wire? I'm curious if there's certain players, like middle relievers and pitching ratios, that when inserted in your lineup will help out both statistics.

(Fyi, I'm in a 12 team roto league and am mid-range in average but low in OPS.)
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is there a way to boost OPS without killing AVG?

Postby wrigleyivy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:54 pm

Well Puljos would be my first choice, but what you can also do is high average speed guys. Doubles and triples count for OPS so you can get the speedier ones. Also some OFers with a little pop have alot of doubles when they find the gap.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. Rogers Hornsby
wrigleyivy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby talan37 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Unfortunately I think the answer your looking for is No. Having a very high OPS is generally indicative of being an elite hitter.. and all those guys are going to be taken. Aside from "great hitters" there is really no other hitting type that excels at OPS. Your best bet to increase this is to look for guys like adam dunn who generally carry low avg(and thus are undervalued in an OPS league) but carry high OPS. If you can't trade for a guy like this... just look for the highest OPS guys left on the wire, and or underperforming players in general.

So your basically looking for sluggers that carry low average, but make up there OBP with walks.
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby schmidty » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:31 pm

Yeah, in a 12-team league, many OPS sleepers like Kotchman, Pena, Hart, DmYoung, might be gone. As mentioned, you might have to compromise, taking a guy whose AVG or OPS are average (but with the other being high enough to help). Walks are generally an under-the-radar stat that you could keep an eye out for. Also, finding platoons might help. Some guys are studs only against one type of handed pitcher, or maybe on the road or at home, and their overall stats might not be attractive. But you play them with the platoon advantage, and you get a hidden gem. Like Duncan and Nixon (maybe not this year though) vs righties or Greene on the road. That kind of approach.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:33 pm

high avg speed guys generally have OPS's in the .700's or even less. they're ruin your OPS. you'll just have to look for guys who can walk alot thats all...OPS sleeper:

Nick Johnson. he'll be back soon and he consistently has a very high OPS because he walks so much while maintaining a .290+ avg.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:44 pm

Generally, the OPS sleeper is going to be the guy that takes a ton of walks. But a player who takes a lot of walks has a great sense of the strike zone, which generally makes him an elite hitter anyway.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Return to Baseball Leftovers