# of teams - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

# of teams

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:48 pm

A nice discussion. I guess it would be nice if "real" baseball contracted to 10 teams so then the 8 and 9 slot hitters on every team would be a star. People above complain about a washed out league or everyday players. What it does is force you to look for talent. To research the minor leagues. I can bet nobody drafted Podsniek or possibly even Worrell. In a tight labor league you need to know the difference between a Worrell and a Wendell. It makes getting a 1$ Kolb in a keeper league very sweet. It means when a Boone goes to the AL or a Conine or Urbina comes to the NL that the FA market really heats up. Bottom line is you have to think about the players you get especially late in the draft where selecting a platoon player matters what the predominant pitchers are and whetehre you guy bats right or left. Then again I have a complaint aout people who play in "frre" leagues. Doesnt have to be a big dollar league, heck even 10$ a team with a cash or other prize at least carries teams to being comitted to the end. So I put forths as a lowly "guest" that the only good league is one that is Keeper, Auction, proportionate number of teams to Universe selected and has a cost to enter / prize for winning. This constitutes a league that has to think, has to be committed to winning and and ultimately resembles what a real baseball GM has to be about. If you want to be a fan and vote for an allstar team and watch the all star game that is cool too but why have Fantasy sites and forums just to have people ask questions like should I take A-Rod or Prior in the first round? Fantasy Baseball should be about winning in the middle and late rounds. Finding "true" sleepers and take pride in a well selected rookie. It makes it that much more rewarding when you win. Of course you could just join a whole bunch of Yahoo leagues and abandon your teams three weeks in because RJ goes down. Or be upset like one guy here because some one picked a team for him. If you cannot pick your own team you deserve what you get. Whats the point.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby LBJackal » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:54 pm

Some people play fantasy just for fun and don't want to spend hours researching players, or spend extra money when they can play a casual league for free...............what's wrong with that? It's not smart to say "A real league must have these specific things, these scoring methods, this cost to enter, and this many teams". Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

BTW: I drafted Worrell last year well before the season started. Can't say the same about Turk Wendell though.....

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbird669 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:11 pm

LBJackal wrote:Some people play fantasy just for fun and don't want to spend hours researching players, or spend extra money when they can play a casual league for free...............what's wrong with that? It's not smart to say "A real league must have these specific things, these scoring methods, this cost to enter, and this many teams". Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

BTW: I drafted Worrell last year well before the season started. Can't say the same about Turk Wendell though.....

I take issue with this statement Mr. LBKJackal. When you're telling me I run a sad league that no ones isstaying up til 3 AM to get Mark Prior on waivers. I wouldn't consider yours a casual league if that is the case. IMO, that makes no sense if there are no stakes other than bragging rights. No one will care about who won a free league in Dec. I don't agree with anything other than IMO, if you're playing for free on Yahoo!, for no $$, then yiou can't expect ppl to be in it to the end in most cases.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby stabone76 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:16 pm

Anonymous wrote:A nice discussion. I guess it would be nice if "real" baseball contracted to 10 teams so then the 8 and 9 slot hitters on every team would be a star. People above complain about a washed out league or everyday players. What it does is force you to look for talent. To research the minor leagues. I can bet nobody drafted Podsniek or possibly even Worrell. In a tight labor league you need to know the difference between a Worrell and a Wendell. It makes getting a 1$ Kolb in a keeper league very sweet. It means when a Boone goes to the AL or a Conine or Urbina comes to the NL that the FA market really heats up. Bottom line is you have to think about the players you get especially late in the draft where selecting a platoon player matters what the predominant pitchers are and whetehre you guy bats right or left. Then again I have a complaint aout people who play in "frre" leagues. Doesnt have to be a big dollar league, heck even 10$ a team with a cash or other prize at least carries teams to being comitted to the end. So I put forths as a lowly "guest" that the only good league is one that is Keeper, Auction, proportionate number of teams to Universe selected and has a cost to enter / prize for winning. This constitutes a league that has to think, has to be committed to winning and and ultimately resembles what a real baseball GM has to be about. If you want to be a fan and vote for an allstar team and watch the all star game that is cool too but why have Fantasy sites and forums just to have people ask questions like should I take A-Rod or Prior in the first round? Fantasy Baseball should be about winning in the middle and late rounds. Finding "true" sleepers and take pride in a well selected rookie. It makes it that much more rewarding when you win. Of course you could just join a whole bunch of Yahoo leagues and abandon your teams three weeks in because RJ goes down. Or be upset like one guy here because some one picked a team for him. If you cannot pick your own team you deserve what you get. Whats the point.

Blah, Blah, Blah. It also means that if you get an injury or two, your season is over and its not any fun... but then again, who does this because its fun
stabone76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stabone76 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:20 pm

jbird669 wrote:
LBJackal wrote:Some people play fantasy just for fun and don't want to spend hours researching players, or spend extra money when they can play a casual league for free...............what's wrong with that? It's not smart to say "A real league must have these specific things, these scoring methods, this cost to enter, and this many teams". Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

I take issue with this statement Mr. LBKJackal. When you're telling me I run a sad league that no ones isstaying up til 3 AM to get Mark Prior on waivers. I wouldn't consider yours a casual league if that is the case. IMO, that makes no sense if there are no stakes other than bragging rights. No one will care about who won a free league in Dec. I don't agree with anything other than IMO, if you're playing for free on Yahoo!, for no $$, then yiou can't expect ppl to be in it to the end in most cases.

I prefir bragging rights over money. In my FFL league this year, one that i have been in for five years, I led the league in winnings... But i ended up getting beat in the first round of the playoffs because Randy Moss let a pass get intercepted in the endzone instead of catching it and winning. I know nobody cares who won the most money. All i know is next year a different team has 2003 league champion next to his name.
stabone76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jumpinjiminty » Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:34 pm

I would bet money if any of you had even a dollar that there is a large fallout of disinterested owners in Yahoos free leagues. At CBS using its pay 29.99 or whatever I wager a higher amount of teams not onlt staying longer but also trading and waivering / FA activity as well. Like I said it doesnt matter the money but certain elements lend themselves to more intrest. A the risk of decsribing another type of league that has better retention it would be a private league where people all know each other, But if you are reading this and in a Yahoo for free public league then you are a loser and a moron and your opinion has no worth to me nor does anyone playing in a very small number of teams mixed league who ont ahve to have any talent to choose their team. IMO
jumpinjiminty

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby stabone76 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:56 pm

jumpinjiminty wrote:I would bet money if any of you had even a dollar that there is a large fallout of disinterested owners in Yahoos free leagues. At CBS using its pay 29.99 or whatever I wager a higher amount of teams not onlt staying longer but also trading and waivering / FA activity as well. Like I said it doesnt matter the money but certain elements lend themselves to more intrest. A the risk of decsribing another type of league that has better retention it would be a private league where people all know each other, But if you are reading this and in a Yahoo for free public league then you are a loser and a moron and your opinion has no worth to me nor does anyone playing in a very small number of teams mixed league who ont ahve to have any talent to choose their team. IMO

if we are wasting out time reading it, how much of a loser does that make you for taking the time to type it???

And i have been in ESPN leagues that had deadbeat owners. It doenst matter what you pay, its who you get in it.
stabone76
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers