Awards besides the Championship? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Awards besides the Championship?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Awards besides the Championship?

Postby jbird669 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:06 pm

Does anyone here have any other awards for the owners besides the championship trophy? Our league has instituted two this past season:
The ALAN ZINTER AWARD and the SHUA CELLAR TROPHY

The first is named in honor of one of our owners who picked him the last three years because he had oine good spring a few years back (coincidentally, he won the league one year and finished second 2 yrs ago). I found an autographed card and I am making a plaque with the card for the winner, who makes the worst draft pick/trade/free agent signing of the year.

The second award is named for my brother Josh, aka Shua, who has finished last for the past 3 yrs. Since we give out $ for finishing first in a category as well as for 1st-3rd, we decided to honor the worst team in the league with a mini garbage can painted gold.
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbird669 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:14 pm

Guess not, huh? Oh well, I will revel in being different ;-D
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Awards besides the Championship?

Postby swarmee » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:27 pm

jbird669 wrote:Does anyone here have any other awards for the owners besides the championship trophy?

Well, I'm planning on giving a copy of "The Idiot's Guide to Fantasy Baseball" to the last place finisher in my league next season. Maybe I can get a library card-style thing for the inside cover to denote the losing team each year.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby justinA » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:31 pm

I think those are pretty cool. My brother used to do something like taking Zinter. He would take strawberry every year, like the years when he was in drug therapy but still in the database. Good fun! In my league we just give out cash for top 3. I dont know how much really, lets see.. $30 a person, 14 teams, 119.95 for sportsline. 420-120=300, i dont know really how it breaks down cuz another guy handles it. I think like 150 to the winner. It could be 150/100/50. AH.. sorry to bother everyone with my poor math skills.
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jbird669 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:52 pm

JustinA,
Try TQ Stats. We had Sportsline the year it was free, and we went to TQ stats and it did everything that Sportsline did, and it's only $99. I highly recommend them.
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stevelabny » Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:39 pm

I tend to send out an "awards list" over e-mail a few days after the season ends.
Basically, I force my leaguemates to sift through my bad comedy and cheap shots.
"Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." -- Leo Durocher
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sticky Spice » Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:06 pm

We used to give cash awards for:

Category winners (if not finished in the money)

Record breakers - someone breaks a league record

All-star game MVP

We thought awarding $$ to category winners would keep interest for those that were lower in the standings. But by definition this idea was rarely taken advantage of as teams that won categories usually finished in the money.

Record breakers was fun, but hard to keep track of. After our league had been around awhile they became further and further apart and the pot would build a little too high.

All-star game MVP was to increase interest and attendance to our annual All-Star game party.

We have since ditched all these when we extended money slots to 7 teams (of 20). That has done absolute wonders for the competitiveness of our league and is probably the best decision we've ever made. ;-D
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Return to Baseball Leftovers