Name your all-star pitchers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Name your all-star pitchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Name your all-star pitchers

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:16 pm

no Guthrie?

I'm surprised... The dude is 2nd in both ERA and WHIP in the AL.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:24 pm

Leyland loves Shields, he was very impressed with him when we played them, i really think he will make sure he is on the team
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:39 pm

Tavish wrote:NL - Peavy, Penny, Young, Lowe, Sheets, Snell, Webb, Hamels
Saito, Valverde, Isringhausen, Fuentes

Put Cordero in his place.

I'm confused by this. What "place" would this be. We're talking a league leading 27 saves (of 29) with a 2.30 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, 44 K, and a ridiculous 12.46 K/9 (prior to K'ing 2 in the 9th today). How isn't that all-star worthy?
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:47 pm

Also, 2 under the radar guys who deserve shots in the AL are Okajima and Betancourt. 2 setup men who have ERAs near 1.00
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jfg » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:44 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Also, 2 under the radar guys who deserve shots in the AL are Okajima and Betancourt. 2 setup men who have ERAs near 1.00

There are too many good closers this year for setup men to get in...if Rivera isn't on the team Okajima and Betancourt won't be either.

But, I do think it's time for setup men to be regulars in the game. Cut down the starters who go to 6-7 plus two closers and add 2-3 setup men. Then it would be the setup men who don't get to play but at least they'd get their day in the sun.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Tavish » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:05 am

Scooter1027 wrote:

I'm confused by this. What "place" would this be. We're talking a league leading 27 saves (of 29) with a 2.30 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, 44 K, and a ridiculous 12.46 K/9 (prior to K'ing 2 in the 9th today). How isn't that all-star worthy?

In Isringhausen's place since I don't think Jason will make it on the team. Valverde is the only one on that list that Cordero has really been better than. I have no doubt that Cordero will make the team, but I'm not sure if 4 Brewers will make the cut. I would rather see Hardy on the team over Cordero.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:25 am

Tavish wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:

In Isringhausen's place since I don't think Jason will make it on the team. Valverde is the only one on that list that Cordero has really been better than. I have no doubt that Cordero will make the team, but I'm not sure if 4 Brewers will make the cut. I would rather see Hardy on the team over Cordero.

Oh, okay, I was confused by your wording. I thought that by omitting Cordero, you were "putting him in his place", so to speak. I think he makes it. His ERA is a little higher than those other cats, but he's had more opportunities too, and it doesn't take more than 1-2 less than perfect outings (a potential side effect of more appearences and more saves) to balloon a closer's ERA quickly. Still 2.30/1.00 is nothing to scoff at, especially with that K rate. I'd say if the Brewers don't get 4, it will be a little disappointing, but it will be JJ Hardy not making it. There are several good SS in the NL this year.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby byfrcp » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:51 am

Chad Cordero maybe?

Only other Nat I can think of is D'mitri, and with Pujols and Fielder with gauranteed spot, and a bunch of other better 1B, I don't see Young getting in.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Scooter1027 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:58 am

byfrcp wrote:Chad Cordero maybe?

Only other Nat I can think of is D'mitri, and with Pujols and Fielder with gauranteed spot, and a bunch of other better 1B, I don't see Young getting in.

What about Zimmerman? He's been less than stellar, but his numbers have risen to .250/12/42 and if they would continue as such, he might be an okay candidate. As much as Washington has anyway. I mean, Mark Redman did make the all-star game afterall. Otherwise yeah, Cordero might be the only other choice, which would throw a wrench into things because there are some great NL closers to pick from.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:02 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Also, 2 under the radar guys who deserve shots in the AL are Okajima and Betancourt. 2 setup men who have ERAs near 1.00

Well if you want to go that route, why not go with Casey Janssen? He has a lower ERA than either of those 2, and of course he's a Jay. :D

I personally think they should give more starters the AS spots, not more relievers, though. There just seems to be a lot of starting pitching snubs every season, and with their amount of innings, I think they definitely play a larger role in a team's success than a reliever.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers