Zambrano arm slot? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Zambrano arm slot?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Zambrano arm slot?

Postby rich101682 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:13 pm

When Zambrano was pitching poorly, there was a lot of talk that his arm slot was different than it was last year and that's what was making him so hittable. Others said it was Michael Barrett's catching that threw him off, citing Zammy's ERA with and without Barrett as his catcher.

Not that Carlos is hot again, is his arm angle back to being normal again? I'm just trying to figure out if it was indeed Barrett or if he made some kind of mechanical adjustment. And as a transplanted Cubs fan in LA, I can't check for myself.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Zambrano arm slot?

Postby rich101682 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:18 pm

rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby dooz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:35 pm

I haven't seen his last couple starts but I am sure that he hasn't reverted to his old slot. This was orginally posted by Yoda in a thread that I was going to link here but it was pretty terrible.

Yoda wrote:Good article over at THT on Carlos' mechanics.

THT

Pretty interesting read and possibly explains some of his struggles so far this year.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:00 am

His arm slot is still extremely wonky. He's throwing almost directly three quarters...sometimes even a bit lower (edit: after reading that article he's even lower than I thought). I think he's adjusted to the new arm slot. He's doing what I do for fun with a ping pong ball now...he's throwing three quarters but getting his hand over the ball. When you release the ball it puts spin on it almost like a reverse slider...the ball tails in toward righties HARD. I'm not sure if the new arm slot will cause any injury problems and I haven't seen him pitch enough with it to know if all of his pitches are working consistently with it but I can say that tailing fastball was making the hitters look stupid in the game I watched. It's definitely not how he used to pitch, I'm not sure if the change was due to injury or it was just something that happened, but the movement on that tailing fastball was absolutely filthy.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Ender » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:51 am

Is he hot again? He had a decent game against a Brewer team that was scoring under 3 runs per game and then beat Houston and SD two of the worst offenses in baseball. That probably gives him a confidence boost but I still need to see him pitch against a decent offense before I'm a believer.

Edit : Watched the first few innings of his start today. He really did look very good, nice movement on the pitches and he was really throwing strikes. Granted the White Sox are another crappy offense but I think he'll have a good run too. Ride him while he's hot and then sell him when he starts to walk people again is my opinion. He seems to be one of the more hot/cold starters out there so I would rather have an Oswalt type come the stretch run.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers