quick question...is it easier to steal off lefties or righti - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

quick question...is it easier to steal off lefties or righti

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: quick question...is it easier to steal off lefties or righti

Postby dclark0699 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:00 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
J35J wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:If the umps call the balk correctly, lefties are just as easy to steal 2nd against as righties are.

Would be easier...I don't think it would be just as easy though.

You have never read the definition of a balk then huh. :D

Rule 8.01(c) Comment: The pitcher shall step “ahead of the throw.” A snap throw followed by the step directly toward the base is a balk.

I must be reading this wrong.

I have never seen a pitcher step AFTER he throws the ball to first. i would agree that that would be a balk
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:55 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
J35J wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:If the umps call the balk correctly, lefties are just as easy to steal 2nd against as righties are.

Rule 8.01(c) Comment: The pitcher shall step “ahead of the throw.” A snap throw followed by the step directly toward the base is a balk.

Even if that is enforced you still have to wait for the pitcher's leg to go to the plate. Unlike a righty you can't go first movement. Explain how that is "as easy".
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:37 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:
J35J wrote:

But a lefty is facing the bag and can be set and then quick step behind the mound and throw to 1st. A righty has to spin around to do the same, taking more time.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Andy1234 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:40 pm

I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:06 am

I disagree. The lefties have a mental edge over righties as they can stare you down as they pitch.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:30 am

acsguitar wrote:

I disagree. The lefties have a mental edge over righties as they can stare you down as they pitch.

Sure they have a mental edge over the slow base runner that is scared to steal. But a player with some speed can bother that left handed pitcher a bit more then the right handed pitcher by just jumping and twitching at first base. But either pitcher is easy to steal off of if you just pay attention and the umps don't let the left hander balk.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:36 am

raiders_umpire wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Sure they have a mental edge over the slow base runner that is scared to steal. But a player with some speed can bother that left handed pitcher a bit more then the right handed pitcher by just jumping and twitching at first base. But either pitcher is easy to steal off of if you just pay attention and the umps don't let the left hander balk.

Another thing is righties have to spin and throw while lefties can just throw. A split second means alot in baseball so I'm sticking with lefties are harder :D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby dclark0699 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:17 am

I was thinking about this some more ....

If you guess correctly against a lefty it might be easier. Especially for a great basestealer. If you get the jump and go before the guy has crossed the 45 degree or whatever the rule is for throwing to first....I agree it would be easier because odds are in the majors you will have more time to get to second.

1. Lefties typically throw a few MPH slower
2. Lefties tend to throw more breaking balls...thus a slower ball to the plate.
3. Lefties do the high leg kick with a runner on first because they can....hardly ever see a slide-step from a lefty
4. Most right handed pitchers who do not want to be stolen on all day will do a slide step or some sort of knee-to-knee abbreviated motion from the stretch.

The problem is...if you guess wrong...you are picked off
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:22 am

dclark0699 wrote:I was thinking about this some more ....

If you guess correctly against a lefty it might be easier. Especially for a great basestealer. If you get the jump and go before the guy has crossed the 45 degree or whatever the rule is for throwing to first....I agree it would be easier because odds are in the majors you will have more time to get to second.

1. Lefties typically throw a few MPH slower
2. Lefties tend to throw more breaking balls...thus a slower ball to the plate.
3. Lefties do the high leg kick with a runner on first because they can....hardly ever see a slide-step from a lefty
4. Most right handed pitchers who do not want to be stolen on all day will do a slide step or some sort of knee-to-knee abbreviated motion from the stretch.

The problem is...if you guess wrong...you are picked off

Good points. I'd still personally rather steal off a righty on first move
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby vtigers23 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:34 am

I agree with the majority that it is easier to steal from 1st to 2nd with righty on the hill. From 2nd to 3rd it depends on the pitcher because righty and lefty alike have the same distance to move. One thing that hasn`t been brought up though, and should, is the squeeze. Which is way, way easier to do against a lefty, yes I know it is not a straight steal like the question asked but the squeeze is a very important part of the game and should be considered when talking about holding on runners, Righty vs Lefty. If the Lefty is the the stretch he cannot see the runner breaking for the plate and instead has to rely on his 3rd baseman relaying this information to him. With a righty he can see the runner breaking and either throw it up and in, or in the dirt depending on what his coaches instruct their pitchers to do.
vtigers23
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers