For those looking for keeper rankings.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

For those looking for keeper rankings....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

For those looking for keeper rankings....

Postby J35J » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:35 pm

This is just a quick look for next year if you are in a keeper league...I've heard discussions of wanting to see lists like these for keeper leagues and figured I'd throw one out there for 1B real quick.....I'll do the other positions as well if I can get time.

You'll notice that I only look 2 maybe 3 years into the future when I'm in keeper leagues....I'm not too big of a fan of looking much further into the future than that.

1. Albert Pujols

2. David Ortiz (doesn't qualify at 1B...yet, we'll see)
3. Travis Hafner (qualifies, yaaa!)
4. Prince Fielder (2 of 3 months he's been a .270 hitter....as of now I'll need to see more before he breaks my top 3)
5. Ryan Howard

6. Mark Teixeira (I still believe....it may be a fault of mine but I think he still has .300 40 still in him)
7. Justin Morneau (I've never been a huge fan but being behind the 6 players I have ahead of him isn't a bad thing)
8. Lance Berkman (I still believe....I still think he is a Hafner lite....still one of the better hitters in the league)
9. Paul Konerko (Yes, I still believe.)
10. Derrek Lee (Berkman, Konerko and Lee are all going to be 32 next year so they still have 2-3 very good years left, IMO)

11. Nick Swisher (If I knew he was a .280+ hitter now his value would go up since he does have 35-40 hr power)
12. Adrian Gonzalez (Still hard for me to tell where his ceiling is and his home park doesn't help)
13. Carlos Delgado (Hasn't hit less than 33 hr since '97, I don't see why he can't go .270 30 100 next year. Obviously a guy to take if you are looking just a year or 2 into the future otherwise drop him way down.)
14. Todd Helton (Still a .320 hitter with the ability for 20/100 to go along with it. Same short term plan as Delgado.)

15. Billy Butler (doesn't qualify at 1B...yet, we'll see. Probably won't help you a whole lot for another couple years but he's got to much talent)
16. Alex Gordon (qualifies at 1B and 3B. See Butler comments)
17. Kevin Youkilis (Very good hitter but doesn't get you enough HR/RBI for a 1B)
18. Casey Kotchman (starting to reach some of that potential and he'll only be 25 next year)
19. Adam LaRoche (Still will only be 28 next year so he can turn things around, though I'm not a huge fan)
20. Conor Jackson (Kinda reminds me of a Helton lite....the 2007 version of Helton)
21. Richie Sexson (Still only 33 next year....could still easily hit 35-40 bombs but that avg is brutal. Short term plan)
22. Mike Jacobs (I admit he's a guy I don't know alot about other than he's got some decent pop but a bad home ball park)
23. Ryan Garko (Can be a .290 20hr guy THIS year)
24. James Loney (Never been too high on him but does have the potential to be a top 20 1B in the future)
25. Lyle Overbay (Had to pick someone to round out the top 25, might as well be a guy who can be a .300 20hr guy)

Let me know if I left anyone out....I did this fairly quickly so it wouldn't surprise me....
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: For those looking for keeper rankings....

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:38 pm

Carlos Pena
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:41 pm

Also Nick Johnson, Scott Thorman, Dan Johnson, Mike Sweeney
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:45 pm

Yoda wrote:Carlos Pena

Yeah I did look at him but then forgot all about him. Is he going to see 500 ABs next year or anytime soon? He's a career .249 hitter so I'm not so sure he's "just going good" right now. If I knew he would get 500 ABs (which would be a first) he'd be in the list but to many questions for me.

Yoda wrote:Also Nick Johnson, Scott Thorman, Dan Johnson, Mike Sweeney

They aren't top 25 for me.....maybe Nick Johnson but he's never healthy and he's on a brutal team playing in a brutal ball park.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bigtyme » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:13 pm

One big omission... Utley.

**Edit** Oops just read this was for 1B. Sorry guys. O:)
bigtyme
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby dclark0699 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:28 pm

Ryan Howard is too low....and I'll go out on a limb and call Ortiz and Hafner too high...however they do both qualify at 1B. Ryan Howard is back swinging the big stick now and even before his DL stint he was playing hurt....so some of his early struggles can be forgiven.

I remember when he homered off Lincecum in Timmy's pro debut...when he started his jog, there was a hitch there and I told everyone in the room he was hurt. A while later, he ends up on the DL. He'll be back to his 50+ HR self the rest of this year .
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J35J » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:33 pm

dclark0699 wrote:Ryan Howard is too low....and I'll go out on a limb and call Ortiz and Hafner too high...however they do both qualify at 1B. Ryan Howard is back swinging the big stick now and even before his DL stint he was playing hurt....so some of his early struggles can be forgiven.

I remember when he homered off Lincecum in Timmy's pro debut...when he started his jog, there was a hitch there and I told everyone in the room he was hurt. A while later, he ends up on the DL. He'll be back to his 50+ HR self the rest of this year .

I've never been concerned with Howards power, I have wondered what his avg is going to look like though...

With that said I have no problem with picking any of those 4 out of a hat (Ortiz, Hafner, Fielder, Howard)
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Oriole Way » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:55 pm

I agree... I also think Morneau is too low. To be honest, I think he's been playing just ok thus far, which is scary. Remember, last year he didn't get going until June and July, and I think he'll be great from here on out. I also want to see Fielder keep it up, I'm still not sure what to think about him that high just yet, but the talent is undeniable.
Oriole Way
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby angelo285 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:40 pm

Pretty accurate list...although I think Adrian Gonzalez is a little too low (come on, below Swisher?!)
angelo285
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dooz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:43 pm

I would slide Konerko down that list. I'll take the upside of Swish, Adrian and the consistency/park of Helton over Konerko all day.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers