Michael Barrett Traded to Padres - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Michael Barrett Traded to Padres

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Michael Barrett Traded to Padres

Postby ROC AllStars » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:08 pm

This is a little off topic, but as a Cubs fan I'm glad to see him go. Despite the fact that they seem to have kissed and made up, there is no excuse for a fight to break out between teammates. They should both have been suspended by the Cubs for that kind of childish display.

On the other hand, this does leave the Cubs with no real C (not that Barrett's numbers were stellar), and it screws me royal in that Barrett and Bard are my 2 C's in my H2H league... I can't see this turning out well for either of them...
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stevethumb » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:14 pm

in the short term rbowen won't be a bad replacement...hblanco may not be back until july 1...perhaps geovanny soto will be called up for a look..koyie hill is not an option as a regular IMO
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Rounders » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:24 pm

ROC AllStars wrote:This is a little off topic, but as a Cubs fan I'm glad to see him go. Despite the fact that they seem to have kissed and made up, there is no excuse for a fight to break out between teammates. They should both have been suspended by the Cubs for that kind of childish display.

On the other hand, this does leave the Cubs with no real C (not that Barrett's numbers were stellar), and it screws me royal in that Barrett and Bard are my 2 C's in my H2H league... I can't see this turning out well for either of them...

To be fair to Barrett though, he got shoved by Zambrano, then when he went in to clear things up, he got punched in the face 3 times and left with 2 black eyes and a busted lip. To my knowledge, he didn't throw any punches at Zambrano. His only fault in this whole thing was allowing a passed ball and throwing it away to left field.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:04 pm

I have nothing to add here. As a Cubs fan, I just have to post that I hope this works out. They sold seriously low on Barrett here and the only way this works out is if it kicks the team in the tail and they start winning. :o
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Bwanna » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:37 pm

Michael Barrett
By Eric Hz Section: Baseball
Posted on Wed Jun 20, 2007 at 10:56:00 AM EDT

The Cubs have cut ties with catcher Michael Barrett by dealing him for a bucket of balls to the San Diego Padres. This moves makes clear that the Cubs have more faith in Carlos Zambrano's health and desire to resign with the Cubs this off-season than most pundits would concede.

From a fantasy perspective, there aren't too many winners. Barrett's production should be expected to drop (ed: further?) in the move the the hostile hitter environment of Petco Park. The previous starting catcher of the Padres, Josh Bard, will see his ABs dramatically cut.

The Cubs will elevate someone to the starting catcher's role. Koyie Hill and Rob Bowen, the bucket in the bucket-and-balls part of the trade, have not demonstrated any major league ability at all. Makes you wonder why the Cubs didn't select Georgia Tech catcher Matt Weiters a couple weeks ago, doesn't it?

http://www.faketeams.com/story/2007/6/20/10560/9542
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 262)

Postby ROC AllStars » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:42 pm

Rounders wrote:To be fair to Barrett though, he got shoved by Zambrano, then when he went in to clear things up, he got punched in the face 3 times and left with 2 black eyes and a busted lip. To my knowledge, he didn't throw any punches at Zambrano. His only fault in this whole thing was allowing a passed ball and throwing it away to left field.

True, but I would rather the Cubs take a chance on resigning Z than keeping Barrett. And IMO Barrett's track record of constantly being ready to snap at the drop of a hat suggests that he had more to do with the fight than what came out. But I agree with you that Z has to shoulder more responsibility that Barrett.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby smokin' Aces » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:57 pm

here's an update

Update: Barrett is expected to be in the Padres' lineup on Wednesday against the Orioles, according to MLB.com.

Recommendation: He is flying to San Diego from Texas, where the Cubs are playing the Rangers. The fact that the Padres plan to insert Barrett into the lineup right away is a good sign in his quest to wrestle playing time from incumbent starter Josh Bard.
smokin' Aces
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates