Barrett to the padres - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barrett to the padres

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Barrett to the padres

Postby brewcrew4you » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:08 pm

wrveres wrote:It is so funny to watch Cubs fans turn.
I bet I could pull up 50 threads from barely 3 months ago where they were arguing he was a top 5 catcher.
and now he is pondscum?

I'll take him.

Him and Bard can split days and it improves our overall situation behind the plate.
Even better is the Cubs are picking up some of the tab for the next three months.

all for a backup catcher and a low end prospect. ;D

I wouldn't call Kyler Burke a low end prospect. He's sucked so far in the minors, but he was a 1st round supplemental pick last year (35th overall), and is only 18 years old.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby saemick » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:27 pm

I might be in the minority here being a Cubs fan, but not only do I think this trade was 1-sided, but I am actually very angry that the Cubs would do this. Yeah, he has been a little shoddy in the field and on the bases this year, but so has the whole team. Its not just Barrett. And for the Cubs to trade their #1 catcher for a back-up and a pack of bubble gum is horrible.

They are supposed to be professionals, and if that scuffle in the dugout/locker room with Big Z was that big of a problem...deal with it internally, you're getting PAID to play baseball. I can't believe that we would go and trade someone for an argument he had with another player, not to mention that that other player might not even be on the team next year either...

Just my 2-cents

- die-hard cubs fan, but pretty upset today
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ROC AllStars » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:37 pm

saemick wrote:They are supposed to be professionals, and if that scuffle in the dugout/locker room with Big Z was that big of a problem...deal with it internally

I agree, but to be fair to the Cubs we have no real idea what went on exactly behind closed doors. We don't really know what efforts (if any) were made to fix the problem, or how bad the clubhouse situation was.

You are right though, it was a really crappy trade, its too bad Barrett wasn't hitting the ball, or we could have gotten some return for him.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:56 pm

Where were the rest of the teams in baseball on this one? San Diego just made a great deal. Barrett is a very good offensive catcher, and it looks like the Cubs were content to just dump him here.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Bwanna » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:03 pm

mweir145 wrote:Where were the rest of the teams in baseball on this one? San Diego just made a great deal. Barrett is a very good offensive catcher, and it looks like the Cubs were content to just dump him here.

Pure speculation:
I'm guessing the Pad's have some connection/relationship with the Cub's front office, enough to have heard about internal grumbling/anger-vibes about Barrett, and seized the opportunity to pull off a classic buy-low before other clubs even knew Barrett could have been had.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 260)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:11 pm

What a steal for the Madres.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)

Postby sdfan » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:00 pm

I'll have to find the link but it's also being reported the Pads are only taking on 750,000 of Barrett's salary. ;D
sdfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby FalcoAtL » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:06 pm

According to Rotoworld, Barrett will start for the first time for SD and most likely bat 5th or 6th.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby dcskater619 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:45 pm

wrveres wrote:It is so funny to watch Cubs fans turn.
I bet I could pull up 50 threads from barely 3 months ago where they were arguing he was a top 5 catcher.
and now he is pondscum?

I'll take him.

Him and Bard can split days and it improves our overall situation behind the plate.
Even better is the Cubs are picking up some of the tab for the next three months.

all for a backup catcher and a low end prospect. ;D

LOL are you kidding me?! I hope you remember how your Pads played with Piazza behind the plate last year.. I remember the cubs stole like 5 bases off him in 4 innings one game until they removed him. Thats how its gonna be with Barrett for you guys.. He threw out a whopping 3 of 33 base stealers this year and has a batting average similar to Bard.. Goodluck with that! ;D

And also, where is this talk of a "low end" prospect coming? The kid is only 18 years old and came from the end of the 1st round last year.. Give him some time to play.. He was also a dominating pitcher in high school and i dont think he will even be playing the OF
dcskater619
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby da bears » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:27 pm

Barrett isn't clutch. He can't throw out anyone which definately won't help maddux or chris young with their slow deliveries already. 2 bases stolen today on him. He hasn't been known to call a good game behind the plate either. You dont really need offense out of your catcher to be effective in the majors plus the guys bat isnt even that much better than Bards right now. How is he a good guy to have behind the plate?? Especially for a team that isnt that great on defense already like the cubs. padres pitchers eras will rise some for whoever barrett catches for. addition by subtraction for the cubs here
da bears
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers