Barrett to the padres - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barrett to the padres

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Barrett to the padres

Postby BigZ38 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:25 pm

Does anyone know what the Cubs W-L record is w/o Barrett behind the plate?

Also, Jacob Fox is tearing the cover off the ball in the minors...but the Cubs moved him to OF.

Are they really going to platoon Hill and Bowen?
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby os_gamejunkie » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:30 pm

brewcrew4you wrote:mlb.com reports the OF to be named is Kyle Burke

Wow. Another outfielder. In other words they have been trying to dump him and this is the best offer they got. Something has been going on in the front office....pressure from Zambrano, or the Tribune or something. Whatever. He won't be a Padre for long anyways.
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rounders » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:42 pm

BigZ38 wrote:Does anyone know what the Cubs W-L record is w/o Barrett behind the plate?

Also, Jacob Fox is tearing the cover off the ball in the minors...but the Cubs moved him to OF.

Are they really going to platoon Hill and Bowen?

By my count they're around 24-29 in games started, which would make them 8-8 in games he hasn't started. But 2 of those losses were tie games that he came in to PH and they ended up losing.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:04 pm

It is so funny to watch Cubs fans turn.
I bet I could pull up 50 threads from barely 3 months ago where they were arguing he was a top 5 catcher.
and now he is pondscum?

I'll take him.

Him and Bard can split days and it improves our overall situation behind the plate.
Even better is the Cubs are picking up some of the tab for the next three months.

all for a backup catcher and a low end prospect. ;D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby alchemy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:10 pm

Good pick-up by the Padres. With their batting this year, you'd have to think they're hoping he comes in and takes the job altogether from Bard.
alchemy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:39 pm

wrveres wrote:It is so funny to watch Cubs fans turn.
I bet I could pull up 50 threads from barely 3 months ago where they were arguing he was a top 5 catcher.
and now he is pondscum?

I'll take him.

Him and Bard can split days and it improves our overall situation behind the plate.
Even better is the Cubs are picking up some of the tab for the next three months.

I'm a realistic Cubs fan. He might have been a borderline top-5 fantasy catcher but his defense has always stunk. That said, the Cubs just dealt him for a bucket of baseballs and a buy-one-get-one-free coupon at McDonalds. It's a good deal for the Padres. The only way it's a good deal for the Cubs is if the addition by subtraction works here.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:42 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
and now he is pondscum?

I'll take him.

I'm a realistic Cubs fan. He might have been a borderline top-5 fantasy catcher but his defense has always stunk. That said, the Cubs just dealt him for a bucket of baseballs and a buy-one-get-one-free coupon at McDonalds. It's a good deal for the Padres. The only way it's a good deal for the Cubs is if the addition by subtraction works here.

On top of all that,
He will probably be a type A free agent, which means we will get draft pick compensation when he walks.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby Another Blown Save » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:45 pm

wrveres wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:
and now he is pondscum?

I'll take him.

On top of all that,
He will probably be a type A free agent, which means we will get draft pick compensation when he walks.

Which is the main reason why this deal sucks for the Cubs.
They could have benched Barrett for the rest of the season and could have gotten more then what they got in this deal.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby ROC AllStars » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:53 pm

Yeah the deal sucks for the Cubs. I think its obvious they just wanted to unload him.

Have the Wrigley fans turned on him? I haven't been able to see to many games this year, but I remember that after the Wrigley faithful turned on Patterson Hendry traded him for a cup of coffee and a get out of jail free card to add to his Monopoly set. Don't get me wrong, Corey is a walking disaster (no pun intended) at the plate, but he did steal 40+ bases last year.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:57 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:Which is the main reason why this deal sucks for the Cubs.
They could have benched Barrett for the rest of the season and could have gotten more then what they got in this deal.

It's a dumb deal unless this shakes them up and they win the division. If getting rid of Barrett is what it takes to shake this team up then I'm all for it. But I'll grant that it doesn't look good on paper whether you're talking about this year, next year, or 10 years from now. I just hope that the positives in team chemistry outweighs the negatives in value.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers