100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

homer bailey

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: homer bailey

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:39 am

Havok1517 wrote:
FalcoAtL wrote:
queencitysluggerr wrote:i dont know if you guys have gotten to watch the game tonight but homer's been lights out. hes gotten better each start so i guess im saying is this what to expect from him or is it a flukey start?

Didn't he struggle in his last start against LA?

He exited the game with the win in hand against LA.

He should be 3-0

he should have been pulled before he came out the last outing. he had 6 ip with 3 er, came out walked the first two guys and got pulled. the reds pen imploded like usual and he got pinned for 2 more er's.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dooz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:09 am

I was in attendance for this game and Bailey's stuff is definitely electric. I do have questions about his control over his breaking pitches and I think that fastball hitting teams that are able to lay of the early count breaking stuff might be very tough on him.

That said, this kid is the real deal. I was sitting six rows back of the away bullpen and came early enough to watch his bullpen session from the first row, not more than 10 yards away from the mound. He has beautiful mechanics and uses his lower body quite well. His frame (he is 6'4) and easy motion should keep his arm healthy, unlike diminutive, violent pitchers like Harden or Lincecum. The most telling point of the evening however, was when he reached back and threw 95 MPH on one his last pitches before being lifted from the game. Bailey does have quite a high leg kick so he may be susceptible to stolen bases. Of course the A's didn't get on base much, don't ever steal and I was on the 1st base line so it was a little hard to see how he held runners on.

Side note, I wanted to see exactly when he hit 95 and remember looking up and his pitch count was just over the MPH (97, if my memory serves). I was just looking at the yahoo box score and it says he only threw 93 pitches in the game. The guys working the score board were blowing it all game though. They gave the Reds a run in the first inning before they even scored....not a good omen. Later, I noticed they missed the first pitch of the AB.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby poopdungbeatle » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:03 am

homer had a very impressive outing. He has low K's and high BB count though. But overall....what a great performance.

With that said. im trying to package him in a trade. I cant take the huge ups and downs for rookie pitchers anymore.
poopdungbeatle
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Boyakasha » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:07 am

dooz wrote:He has beautiful mechanics and uses his lower body quite well. His frame (he is 6'4) and easy motion should keep his arm healthy, unlike diminutive, violent pitchers like Harden or Lincecum.

Harden doesn't have a violent delivery, he has an easy delivery. As does Mark Prior. Zambrano, Oswalt are among guys that have violent deliveries and no injury histories. Not really a good indicator of being injury prone.

Homer's delivery IS pretty, however.
Boyakasha
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby dooz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:05 pm

Boyakasha wrote:
dooz wrote:He has beautiful mechanics and uses his lower body quite well. His frame (he is 6'4) and easy motion should keep his arm healthy, unlike diminutive, violent pitchers like Harden or Lincecum.

Harden doesn't have a violent delivery, he has an easy delivery. As does Mark Prior. Zambrano, Oswalt are among guys that have violent deliveries and no injury histories. Not really a good indicator of being injury prone.

Homer's delivery IS pretty, however.

It may not be an indicator but, when given the choice between similar talent, with both throwing at or about 95 MPH, I'll take the guy who is 6'4 with strong mechanics over somebody who is around 6'0 with a smaller frame (just a quick, topical comparison between Bailey/Lince). Maybe a guy like Harden might not have a very violent delivery but the stresses of throwing nearly 100 MPH with such a frame is problematic. I wasn't saying that Lince was the next Harden but I do think it is something to note.

Harden's delivery isn't as technical as Bailey's though, is it?
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Secret Avatar » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:40 pm

Personally, I think the whole "delivery" issue is over-rated. Who's to say which delivery is "better" for pitcher X as opposed to pitcher Y? Everyone is physically different and a "smooth" delivery for one pitcher might be awkward for another and visa versa. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with or particularly unusual about Lincecum's supposedly "unorthodox," "unusual," or "awkward" delivery. I think that's just manufactured bunk to generate news coverage and interest. Overall, the whole "delivery" thing just gives sportswriters and fans one more thing to pretend to analyze and argue over, but otherwise is far down on the list of contributors to a pitcher's success. In terms of fantasy value I think it means absolutely nothing.

Between the guy with the "smooth" delivery and the guy with the "awkward" delivery, I'd much rather have the guy throwing strikes and getting guys out.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby dooz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:53 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:Personally, I think the whole "delivery" issue is over-rated. Who's to say which delivery is "better" for pitcher X as opposed to pitcher Y? Everyone is physically different and a "smooth" delivery for one pitcher might be awkward for another and visa versa. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with or particularly unusual about Lincecum's supposedly "unorthodox," "unusual," or "awkward" delivery. I think that's just manufactured bunk to generate news coverage and interest. Overall, the whole "delivery" thing just gives sportswriters and fans one more thing to pretend to analyze and argue over, but otherwise is far down on the list of contributors to a pitcher's success. In terms of fantasy value I think it means absolutely nothing.

Between the guy with the "smooth" delivery and the guy with the "awkward" delivery, I'd much rather have the guy throwing strikes and getting guys out.

First of all, I said nothing about fantasy value. Obviously, if a guy with an awkward delivery is pitching better, he is the guy you want. So are you saying you would take Lincecum over Bailey if you are a GM of a real life team? I am not saying that Bailey will be good because of his stellar mechanics. However, if you do have extraordinary mechanics, it will become easier to identify issues that may be effecting performance. Plus, you can't try to tell me that a violent delivery from a small frame would have an easier time generating velocity over the course of a 10-15 year career. Bailey will not be more successful, necessarily, because of his mechanics but you can't tell me that a pitching coach would love to have a guy with this guy's stuff and his amazing delivery.

I gotta figure out this imageshack stuff so I can post a couple of this pictures I took.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby superslugger616 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:40 am

His first two starts were at his tough homepark against two top AL offenses in the Indians and Angels. He then threw a solid game against the A's. For his first few major league starts, he showed good poise and confidence (albeit with bad K/BB ratios), did well against 3 tough AL ballclubs, and I think he will pitch really well against some of the worse teams in his division (Pirates, Astros, Cubs, Cards).
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BUCCOFAN » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:12 am

AM I making the right move in keeping Bailey over Lincecum? Currently making a deal that will improve my squad for the time being emensly, Its a no brainer being a Money league, I WANT TO WIN (trade is posted in the other forum) thing is I got both Bailey and Lincecum, Who has the better future? Bailey did look good against the A's the other night. Should I be moving Bailey instead of Lincecum, or is it a toss up?
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 278)

Postby FalcoAtL » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:14 am

BUCCOFAN wrote:AM I making the right move in keeping Bailey over Lincecum? Currently making a deal that will improve my squad for the time being emensly, Its a no brainer being a Money league, I WANT TO WIN (trade is posted in the other forum) thing is I got both Bailey and Lincecum, Who has the better future? Bailey did look good against the A's the other night. Should I be moving Bailey instead of Lincecum, or is it a toss up?

Personally, despite the recent struggles, I think Lincecum will be more valuable than Bailey. Although they both play on bad teams so hard to say really.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers