Best 2nd Half Pitcher and Hitter Sitting On Most Waiver Wire - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Best 2nd Half Pitcher and Hitter Sitting On Most Waiver Wire

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Best 2nd Half Pitcher and Hitter Sitting On Most Waiver Wire

Postby B-Chad » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:34 am

I think that it is comical that one of the first suggestions in this thread is Garrett Atkins... my suggestion to the poster of that message is to get into a) get into a league deeper then say... idk 4 teams or b) get into a more competitive league. Being a regular in the multiple Garrett Atkins threads, it is comical to see all the people who expected his horrendous numbers to continue. I'd suggest... like I have all along, look at the peripherals! Everything said he should come around. The "experts" aren't simply going out on a limb for no reason.
That little tirade asside, some of the likely unowned players in competitive 10+ team leagues that I'd include.

Ryan Freel: He was on the DL for an extended period of time and if Dunn or Griffey is dealt, and/or he is able to get regular PT as a super utility player he should bring a solid BA with decent runs scored and a lot of SB's to the table.

James Loney: he's now the everyday starting 1B for the LA Dodgers. He was something like a .380 hitter in AAA last year and he is scorching at the plate since getting the everyday job. He's not going to hit a ton of HR's... but his batting average will be be great in 5X5 leagues as well as his rbi's potentially if he is able to move into a greater run producing spot in the order. Loney is also considerably more valuable in leagues that include more scoring categories where hit specificity is included (ie. singles, doubles, triples) and leagues that penalize hitters for strikeouts while rewarding them for walks, OBP and OPS.

Chris B. Young: the batting average is awful. Hopefully the new hitting coach can straighten that out . His HR total at the break is respectable and despite his hamstrings bothering him off and on he's run some. If he's able to hit for a higher avg... say in the .270 the remainder of the year... his HR's and SB's could be very valuable to owners in almost any scoring format...

Finally a slew of youngsters could potentially help teams including but not limited to: Joey Votto (needs Hatteberg dealt at the deadline), Adam Jones (needs the callup), Billy Butler (just needs some seasoning... but the time may have passed on his availability) and possibly Travis Buck... his BB:K is very good for a young hitter... he hasn't been all that healthy of late... the A's offense hasn't been great... but that's why he's available and a sleeper... the fact is... if the impending return of Mike Piazza helps, Nick Swisher improves his BA some, and a few other hitters fall into place, Travis Buck's injuries and less then jaw dropping numbers to this point could be great for owners who are keen enough to add him now. Whether he hits behind a few hitters who are able to get on in front of him in the second half (the A's are a notoriously better second half team) or he's setting the table for some other hitters, he could provide very solid value off the wire.

I considered adding Josh Hamilton to this list, but to be honest, I don't think he's as widely available as those listed. He's hurt currently, but his power in a bandbox like Cinci's is simply too good even for the least savvy of owners to ignore... hence he's probably being stashed somewhere... if not I'd suggest adding him immediately in 12 team or great leagues.

As far as pitchers... I consider pitchers a dime a dozen and am a firm believer in streaming... grab a stable headliner or two to your rotation and rotate hot arms behind... that said...
Pedro Martinez: most likely because he is more recognizable then just any average joe, he is probably being stashed somewhere, if not add him. He should win games for the Mets. He is a huge K guy, and though no one is really sure what to expect coming off of injury, everyone is well aware of what he is capable of when he's on... dominance. To get a guy like this going into the fantasy playoffs (when he's likely to have shaken off as much rust as possible) would be a huge shot in the arm and is a must.

As far as other guys... I'm a believer in Andy Sonnanstine... yes he's a Devil Rays' arm... yes he pitches in the brutal AL East... but other then hi s poor HR rate (which throwing out the Rockies game isn't as bad) has been simply unlucky. Look at his WHIP, his BAA and his BB rate... plus he strikes a respectable number of hitters out... his peripherals suggest he should be more valuable and have a lower ERA and though he won't win a ton of games should be ownable.

Andrew Miller: The cat is out of the bag...but if not snatch him. The Tigers appear to know what to do with farm arms and his walks are down in his last start (his walks being his most glaring weakness and trouble spot up until recently). Hitters aren't hitting for a high average against him, his K's are up, he plays for a division leader (the Tigers) pitches in a favorable ball park and has above average stuff... All reasons he shouldn't be available in leagues of 10 or greater.

Yovani Gallardo: Everyone has read about him and knows the talent... but his "demotion" to the bullpen to save his arm may have made him available once again. With Claudio Vargas still in the rotation and the Brewers in a pennant race I don't think owners have heard the last of Gallardo and if he's available he's a prime candidate to stash... to the not so obvious arms...

Joe Schmoe in PETCO... keep an eye for who is pitching in home ballpark pitching "heaven." Look for a hot arm... ala Justin Germano... this is a ballpark that is very forgiving to pitchers with poor flyball ratios... meaning that if someone gets hot for a start or two... see if you can ride it out (possibilities, David Wells, Tim Staufer, Clay Hensley).

Jeff Francis: Not Mr. Consistancy... but he's been solid... in deeper leagues he's likely an oft added and oft cut guy... when he's not getting hit... he's certainly serviceable due to his respectable walk rate and respectable K/9.

Mark Mulder: No idea when he's due back, no idea how he'll respond to coming back from injury, but he was a very talented starter and worth a stash and look. He's a former innings eater and pitching in the NL Central... not exactly the AL East.

Finally, Matt Garza: keep an eye on his BB numbers... if he is locating he certainly have K stuff and the Twins seem to due pretty well with young arms. He is probably long gone in the deepest of leagues and even 10-12 team leagues where owners are pretty savvy... however, in other leagues... watch him from a distance and if he can keep the walks down... give him a look. Good luck to owners not in my league in the second half... hopefully something I posted is useful to someone somewhere.
Last edited by B-Chad on Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:59 am

hey B-Chad, do us a favor and hit the edit button for your post and hit the ENTER button several times because your post while it might be insightful is pretty much unreadable as one huge paragraph... :-/
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby BklynsFinest » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:11 pm

Im not sure if he has been mentioned but I have been picking up C. Patterson Bal.
BklynsFinest
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Little Lee » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:50 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:hey B-Chad, do us a favor and hit the edit button for your post and hit the ENTER button several times because your post while it might be insightful is pretty much unreadable as one huge paragraph... :-/

I disagree, nice job B-Chad. Anyone that takes the time taken to put this together should be applauded.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
Yogi Berra
Little Lee
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tommy John » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:41 pm

I concur, nice effort B-Chad
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Prooks25 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:15 pm

I think they have been mentioned before, but I'll mention them again...

B. Butler
D. Young
J. Hermida
K. Kouzmanoff

S. Kazmir
S. Olsen
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Bwanna » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:28 pm

Tommy John wrote:I concur, nice effort B-Chad

Seriously, best post in this thread nomination goes to B-Chad. Thanks.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby bologna_sandwich » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:26 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:hey B-Chad, do us a favor and hit the edit button for your post and hit the ENTER button several times because your post while it might be insightful is pretty much unreadable as one huge paragraph... :-/

who in HELL do you think you are!!!!
Id's seriously like to know.

anyway, solid post B-Chad.
'ppreciate those kind of informative replys.
don't listen to that moron. he's probably pissed I dodnt use capitals.
bologna_sandwich
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AdvRider » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:44 pm

bologna_sandwich wrote:

who in HELL do you think you are!!!!
Id's seriously like to know.

anyway, solid post B-Chad.
'ppreciate those kind of informative replys.
don't listen to that moron. he's probably pissed I dodnt use capitals.

Whoa, down boy! It was a perfectly legitimate and polite point. Maybe you didn't see it when it was first posted, but it was sort of like trying to read a cinder block. Nothing a few end grafs couldn't fix.

That aside, a great post from B-Chad. Is that Schmoe guy still in the minors, or something? Don't see him on the WW. ;-7
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:56 pm

The original post was a garbled mess and dude deserved to be called out on it.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates