Best 2nd Half Pitcher and Hitter Sitting On Most Waiver Wire - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Best 2nd Half Pitcher and Hitter Sitting On Most Waiver Wire

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Best 2nd Half Pitcher and Hitter Sitting On Most Waiver Wire

Postby Tommy John » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:35 am

What is the timetable for Rivera's return? If he can stay healthy, I think he was just starting to come in to his own last year. I really thought (before the season started) that this would be the year we would finally see what he is capable of.
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AdvRider » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:53 am

Tommy John wrote:What is the timetable for Rivera's return? If he can stay healthy, I think he was just starting to come in to his own last year. I really thought (before the season started) that this would be the year we would finally see what he is capable of.

Sounds like August.... :-[

Rivera's status influences Angels as the trading deadline approaches
11:22 PM PDT on Sunday, July 8, 2007

By MATT HURST
The Press-Enterprise
NEW YORK - The obvious need at the trading deadline for the Angels in recent years has been to add an impact hitter, someone to complement Vladimir Guerrero and help lift a sagging offense.

However, two things have altered that need this season -- a surprisingly effective offense and Juan Rivera's impending return from a broken leg has the Angels thinking an impact hitter isn't the cure-all with 22 days until the trading deadline.

"Hopefully by the time we get to the end of this month, we'll have an idea of where Juan is," Manager Mike Scioscia said. "That would give us a big lift if Juan can get back to doing the things we know he can do. Maybe that's the depth that you acquire. I think if Juan stays on pace he could be that extra piece that we're talking about."

Last year's offense entered the break 12th in the American League in average, 11th in runs and 13th in on-base percentage. This year, they rank second, fifth and fifth in the same categories. Scioscia said the team isn't particularly "into renting a player," but noted that "if there's a move that will make us stronger now and in the future, Bill (Stoneman, general manager) will do it."

Plus, if Rivera provides anything like he did last year -- a .310 average with 23 homers and 85 RBI -- it only deepens an already fluid offense.

MORE http://www.pe.com/sports/baseball/angel ... 1cfe6.html
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 17)

Postby 3rice » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:07 pm

Looking over my WW i got...

Batters:

Raúl Ibañez - has been battling leg injuries all season and is starting to heal up. Leading the Rockies in Rbi's (53) but off pace of last years 33 hr season. Most of which came in the later half. Batting .275 right now and has become a doubles hitter. I think once healthy those doubles might be going a little farther outta the park.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia - Backup catcher whos been better then McCann this season, Batting .315 right now and has cather/1b elgibility. Good chance he'll stat at first the rest of the season. I think if Atlanta gets hot they are gonna want this guy playing ball.

Billy Butler - Yea he plays on the Royals but batting 3rd in the lineup and hes gonna be playing full
time now that Sweeney is out 6-8 weeks. He hits for power and could be the last big name young gun whos available on most WW's. Hes prob the #1 hitter im looking at if i trade one of my Of's and he seems to be quite a clutch player for the royals

Pitchers/Relievers:

Paul Byrd - I like this guy alot, so far he has been consistent and has only walked 6 batters so far this entire season! In his last start he threw 8 1/3 innings of four-hit baseball Sunday, July 8, but was still tagged with the loss b/c he had no run support. I dont expect that to cont. w/ the lineup the Indians have. Right now he has a 4.41 Era and 7 wins.

Andrew Miller - With the departure of Mike Marroth, the Tigers brought this kid up and hes so far exceeding their expectations. 3.31 Era after facing some quality lineups like the braves the red sox and the phils. Hes regarded as a sleeper right now but once he gets a couple more wins under his belt I dont think he'll be available much longer.

Carlos Marmol - So far Howry has been pretty good as the closer in Cubs land but Marmol has been better. Hes gotten strike outs and has been projected to have even better stuff then Dempster. An its not even a sure thing that dempster will be back any time soon. Deep down I think this is the guy the cubs want as their closer of the future.

Rafael Soriano - I get this crazy antsy feeling in me everytime I see Rafael Soriano sitting there on the WW. Wickman has been awfull lately and w/ Gonzalez still hurt Soriano is the guy in line to take over. Other then a bad game he had Boston hes been lights out in relief. Hes also another guy who might be destined to be the Closer of the future. Id watch the closing situation closely in Atlanta, things could get interesting.

Help w/ mine http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=306498&hilit=
3rice
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Heiserman02 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:12 pm

Waiver Wire Pitchers:

Wandy Rodriguez
Dave Bush
Scott Baker
Matt Belisle

Hitters:

Frank Thomas
Ryan Freel
Edwin Encarnacion
Milton Bradley
Go Tribe - Go Cavs - Go Browns - Go Buckeyes!

I worship at the Church of LeBron.
Heiserman02
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sandman042 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:08 pm

how do u guys feel about chad billingsley?
sandman042
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MendozaLineup » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:44 pm

My 11 Team League, Standard Scoring, Best Available FA:

Speed:
- Julio Lugo (SS)
- Felipe Lopez (SS, 2b)
- Jason Bartlett (SS)
- Michael Bourne (OF)

Power:
- Johnny Gomes (DH, OF)
- Chris Duncan (OF)* Shouldn't be there
- John Buck (C)
- Josh Hamilton (OF)
- Khalil Greene (SS)

Ks:
- Wolf, E. Santana, Cabrera, Bush, Olsen

Wins:
- Bush, NYM pitcher (Hernandez, etc.), Lester, NYY pitchers (Hughes, even Igawa), Rogers

Saves:
- Otsuka, Soriano, Rauch, maybe Linebrink, maybe Soria
MendozaLineup
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Suicide Kings » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:29 am

Looks like the Angels are going to scrap the Ervin Santana project and Joe Saunders will move in. Saunders should be a solid 2nd half SP if they go with him...this time, he'll be here to stay so if you have room he's worth stashing IMO...
Hit the ball over the fence and you can take ALLLLL the time you want to run around the bases...
Suicide Kings
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Nerfherders » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:45 pm

zig zag daddy wrote:
sliders51 wrote:I stashed Nick Johnson in some leagues and hes a free agent in the other ones. He could be huge in the second half if/when he comes off the DL.

Maybe Pedro Martinez as a free agent pitcher?

I wonder what the Nats are gonna do when Nick Johnson comes back. Dmitri Young has been tearing it up!

I think Young will get traded by the time Johnson is ready to come back. As much as the Nats need offense, I dont think either can play any position other than 1B, and Johnson is the 1B there. Maybe to NYY or Atlanta? Or to Oakland or Anaheim as a DH?
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby cwrtlm » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:04 pm

What do you all think about Ramon Hernandez? Does he come back to the #'s he put up last year or is he still on and off the Dl the 2nd half like the first half? I have Johjima and hernandez is availible just wondering if he would be an upgrade over Johjima who has been bad since the hand incident. :-?
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Crystalstorm » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:17 pm

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hughs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Crystalstorm
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates