HIGH FIVE... detention young man - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

HIGH FIVE... detention young man

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

HIGH FIVE... detention young man

Postby theclefe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:08 pm

A school has banned high fives, and all touching. I wish we could hug here at the Cafe, but I'm guessing that is banned too.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19293872/?GT1=10056

MSNBC wrote:VIENNA, Va. - A rule against physical contact at a Fairfax County middle school is so strict that students can be sent to the principal's office for hugging, holding hands or even high-fiving.

Unlike some schools in the Washington area, which ban fighting or inappropriate touching, Kilmer Middle School in Vienna bans all touching — and that has some parents lobbying for a change.

Hugging was Hal Beaulieu's crime when he sat next to his girlfriend at lunch a few months ago and put his arm around her shoulder. He was given a warning, but told that repeat missteps could lead to detention.
Story continues below ↓advertisement

"I think hugging is a good thing," said Hal, a seventh-grader. "I put my arm around her. It was like for 15 seconds. I didn't think it would be a big deal."

But at a school of 1,100 students that was meant to accommodate 850, school officials think some touching can turn into a big deal. They've seen pokes lead to fights, gang signs in the form of handshakes or girls who are uncomfortable being hugged but embarrassed to say anything.

"You get into shades of gray," Kilmer Principal Deborah Hernandez said. "The kids say, 'If he can high-five, then I can do this.' "

Hernandez said the no-touching rule is meant to ensure that all students are comfortable and crowded hallways and lunchrooms stay safe. She said school officials are allowed to use their judgment in enforcing the rule. Typically, only repeat offenders are reprimanded.

'Making out goes too far'
But such a strict policy doesn't seem necessary to 13-year-old Hal and his parents, who have written a letter to the county school board asking for a review of the rule. Hugging is encouraged in their home, and their son has been taught to greet someone with a handshake.

Hal said he feels he knows what's appropriate and what's not.

Vote: Does the no-contact rule go too far?
Has ‘zero tolerance’ in schools overstepped?

"I think you should be able to shake hands, high-five and maybe a quick hug," he said. "Making out goes too far."

His parents said they agree that teenagers need to have clear limits but don't want their son to be taught that physical contact is bad.

"How do kids learn what's right and what's wrong?" Henri Beaulieu asked. "They are all smart kids, and they can draw lines. If they cross them, they can get in trouble. But I don't think it would happen too often."
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: HIGH FIVE... detention young man

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:09 am

I thought it was long established that you couldn't transmit AIDS from person to person by high-fiving. ;7

Seriously, pokes have led to fights at the school? I'm sure they banned Facebook to make sure there's no cyber poking either...just to play it safe.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby smoovethug » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:19 am

Paranoia at its finest.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby brewcrew4you » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:28 am

I'm glad that the punishment is just a trip to the principle's office, at least that way nothing serious happens to kids who are just having a fist bump. If there was a standard punishment no matter what, if I was attending the school, I'd be attempting to convice a co-ed to go at it with me in the hallway - in for a dime, in for a dollar.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:48 am

The Artful Dodger wrote: I'm sure they banned Facebook to make sure there's no cyber poking either...just to play it safe.

:b

this is crazy. what is our world coming to.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:26 pm

smoovethug wrote:Paranoia at its finest.

Not paranoia. More like overreacting at its finest.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:28 pm

So when does everybody start talking in Newspeak?
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby smoovethug » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:39 pm

StlSluggers wrote:

That too, but thinking pokes are going to lead to fights or handshakes into gang activity, that's paranoia IMO.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:29 am

smoovethug wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

That too, but thinking pokes are going to lead to fights or handshakes into gang activity, that's paranoia IMO.

id call it plain stupidity.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:11 am

Just put them all in chains and handcuffs so they won't be tempted to give high fives and hugs.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to General Talk