Is Josh Hamilton toast? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:19 pm

zig zag daddy wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:
Yoda wrote:I'm no basher and I really wanted him to succeed. But it was somewhat unrealistic to think that he could keep up for an entire season given how much time he has missed. If he is the real deal, then he will adjust at some point and start hitting again.


Exactly. He did what a TON of young players do. He came up, was red hot, the league adjusted and now he's in a terrible slump. What separates the career minor leaguers from the guys that stick is whether he can make further adjustments and start succeeding again. In any case he can't be sent to the minors...he's a Rule 5 pick-up for the Reds so they're stuck with him on the roster unless they want to ship him back to the DRays.



He's not producing for your fantasy team, but he's still been great for the reds. its funny how you have mixed the two together. The reds are'nt stuck with him, they're more than happy to have him.


You're right in that he can be a valuable real-life player and not be valuable in fantasy. The Reds are probably very happy to be 'stuck' with him but the fact remains that they are stuck with him, whether they're happy about it or not. That's important from a fantasy perspective in that his struggles aren't going to get him demoted to AAA.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 7290
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cubs Win!!! Cubs Win!!!

Re: Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby IllinoisBandit » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:21 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:It's great that he's viewed as a valuable player in real baseball by the Reds, but since coming off the DL he's batting just shy of .250 (10-for-42) with 1 HR, 2 RBI, 3 R & 0 SB... that's just not cutting it as far as fantasy production.

I'd be interested to hear if he's hitting the ball with any authority so those of us who haven't seen him play recently can get an idea if he's got a chance of turning this thing back around.


Honest answer is no he has not been hitting the ball with a lot of authority at all lately. He definately hasn't been a hard luck case or anything.

He's a rookie. I think he has top-3 rookie hitter fantasy production from here on out. I suppose your league size would dictate whether that's worth anything or not.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 615
Joined: 29 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby theclefe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:00 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:It's great that he's viewed as a valuable player in real baseball by the Reds, but since coming off the DL he's batting just shy of .250 (10-for-42) with 1 HR, 2 RBI, 3 R & 0 SB... that's just not cutting it as far as fantasy production.

I'd be interested to hear if he's hitting the ball with any authority so those of us who haven't seen him play recently can get an idea if he's got a chance of turning this thing back around.


That is better than Andruw Jones. :-°
Image
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 1747
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Rakeville

Re: Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby dc928 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:34 pm

zig zag daddy wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:
Yoda wrote:I'm no basher and I really wanted him to succeed. But it was somewhat unrealistic to think that he could keep up for an entire season given how much time he has missed. If he is the real deal, then he will adjust at some point and start hitting again.


Exactly. He did what a TON of young players do. He came up, was red hot, the league adjusted and now he's in a terrible slump. What separates the career minor leaguers from the guys that stick is whether he can make further adjustments and start succeeding again. In any case he can't be sent to the minors...he's a Rule 5 pick-up for the Reds so they're stuck with him on the roster unless they want to ship him back to the DRays.



He's not producing for your fantasy team, but he's still been great for the reds. its funny how you have mixed the two together. The reds are'nt stuck with him, they're more than happy to have him.


I agreed, if I am the GM of the Reds I will be glad to have him. He is not going to contribute to Fantasy baseball right away but he is still a good talent and a good player to have, especially if Reds decides to trade Griffey and Dunn.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1247
Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby zig zag daddy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:50 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:That's a good take on the situation and no disrespect intended, but the best arm in baseball won't help me much fantasy-wise, and neither will a .260 BA with 10-12 HR's going forward.


I just think its funny someone actually believes the reds would even consider dumping him because he's not helping their fantasy team. Now thats mixing up fantasy and reality.
zig zag daddy
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 150
Joined: 23 Jan 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:53 pm

I never said or indicated the Reds were gonna dump him, I've been talking strictly from a fantasy standpoint the whole time, you must have me confused with another poster.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2850
Joined: 1 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:43 am

zig zag daddy wrote:
BillyHallDisciple wrote:That's a good take on the situation and no disrespect intended, but the best arm in baseball won't help me much fantasy-wise, and neither will a .260 BA with 10-12 HR's going forward.


I just think its funny someone actually believes the reds would even consider dumping him because he's not helping their fantasy team. Now thats mixing up fantasy and reality.


I think you need to reread my post. I said that the Reds couldn't dump him...not that they would want to dump him at this point. It's an important piece of information that's not necessarily common knowledge. Even if he struggles so badly that he's hurting the team by taking up a roster slot they've still got to keep him assuming they see potential there. That gives him a much longer leash than many other rookies would get.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 7290
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cubs Win!!! Cubs Win!!!

Re: Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby zig zag daddy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:46 am

BillyHallDisciple wrote:I never said or indicated the Reds were gonna dump him, I've been talking strictly from a fantasy standpoint the whole time, you must have me confused with another poster.


I was just replying to your post for discussion...not that you made the comment.
zig zag daddy
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 150
Joined: 23 Jan 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby zig zag daddy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:50 am

The Loveable Losers wrote:
zig zag daddy wrote:
BillyHallDisciple wrote:That's a good take on the situation and no disrespect intended, but the best arm in baseball won't help me much fantasy-wise, and neither will a .260 BA with 10-12 HR's going forward.


I just think its funny someone actually believes the reds would even consider dumping him because he's not helping their fantasy team. Now thats mixing up fantasy and reality.


I think you need to reread my post. I said that the Reds couldn't dump him...not that they would want to dump him at this point. It's an important piece of information that's not necessarily common knowledge. Even if he struggles so badly that he's hurting the team by taking up a roster slot they've still got to keep him assuming they see potential there. That gives him a much longer leash than many other rookies would get.


The fact that you meantion that he is rule 5 and the reds cant send him to the minors implies that it would be considered. Its not that he's on a long leash, he's not even struggling right now. He's just not putting up fantasy numbers.
zig zag daddy
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 150
Joined: 23 Jan 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby IllinoisBandit » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:40 pm

Yup, he's toast. Please keep making these threads... they pretty much gaurantee he's about to heat up.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 615
Joined: 29 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ballaxomiafef, unioreimi and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact