Is Josh Hamilton toast? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:44 pm

I've been waiting on this guy a long time in my 12-team mixed keeper, and he hasn't really done squat the last several weeks. Any Hamilton owners out there, or former owners or Reds fans or anyone with any thoughts on this? Will he ever start hitting again like he did when he was tearing it up early on?
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2850
Joined: 1 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:58 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:I've been waiting on this guy a long time in my 12-team mixed keeper, and he hasn't really done squat the last several weeks. Any Hamilton owners out there, or former owners or Reds fans or anyone with any thoughts on this? Will he ever start hitting again like he did when he was tearing it up early on?


Look at his monthly split stats and it's easy to see that he is hanging on thanks to a great April. Even if you factor in the time he missed, he hasn't done much in May, Jun. I think it's safe to say that the league is adjusting to him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby alchemy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:59 pm

Count me among the Josh Hamilton bashers now starting to gloat.
alchemy
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 174
Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:06 pm

I'm no basher and I really wanted him to succeed. But it was somewhat unrealistic to think that he could keep up for an entire season given how much time he has missed. If he is the real deal, then he will adjust at some point and start hitting again.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:19 pm

Yoda wrote:I'm no basher and I really wanted him to succeed. But it was somewhat unrealistic to think that he could keep up for an entire season given how much time he has missed. If he is the real deal, then he will adjust at some point and start hitting again.


Exactly. He did what a TON of young players do. He came up, was red hot, the league adjusted and now he's in a terrible slump. What separates the career minor leaguers from the guys that stick is whether he can make further adjustments and start succeeding again. In any case he can't be sent to the minors...he's a Rule 5 pick-up for the Reds so they're stuck with him on the roster unless they want to ship him back to the DRays.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 7290
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cubs Win!!! Cubs Win!!!

Re: Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby IllinoisBandit » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:04 pm

He'll be fine, just temper your expectations a bit for this season. I think it's a combination of pitchers making really good pitches against him, him getting a little ancy and not as willing to draw a walk as he once was, and him just flat out missing pitches.

I still think he hits .260+ and hits 10-12 HR's from here on out.
And he's still got the best arm in the majors. Period.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 615
Joined: 29 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby zig zag daddy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:05 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
Yoda wrote:I'm no basher and I really wanted him to succeed. But it was somewhat unrealistic to think that he could keep up for an entire season given how much time he has missed. If he is the real deal, then he will adjust at some point and start hitting again.


Exactly. He did what a TON of young players do. He came up, was red hot, the league adjusted and now he's in a terrible slump. What separates the career minor leaguers from the guys that stick is whether he can make further adjustments and start succeeding again. In any case he can't be sent to the minors...he's a Rule 5 pick-up for the Reds so they're stuck with him on the roster unless they want to ship him back to the DRays.



He's not producing for your fantasy team, but he's still been great for the reds. its funny how you have mixed the two together. The reds are'nt stuck with him, they're more than happy to have him.
zig zag daddy
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 150
Joined: 23 Jan 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:06 pm

That's a good take on the situation and no disrespect intended, but the best arm in baseball won't help me much fantasy-wise, and neither will a .260 BA with 10-12 HR's going forward.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2850
Joined: 1 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby IllinoisBandit » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:11 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:That's a good take on the situation and no disrespect intended, but the best arm in baseball won't help me much fantasy-wise, and neither will a .260 BA with 10-12 HR's going forward.


I can see that. But there's room for another hot streak to bump those numbers up. That's just more of a middle-of-the-road prediction I made. I think one key thing to keep an eye on is his sickness. They're running blood tests as we speak as he hasn't been feeling right for the past month.

I think he could hit as many as 18ish from here on out, but I wouldn't expect him to hit over .275 by any means. And forget about that SB potential people were hypeing up. He's fast but he can't steal bases.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 615
Joined: 29 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Josh Hamilton toast?

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:13 pm

It's great that he's viewed as a valuable player in real baseball by the Reds, but since coming off the DL he's batting just shy of .250 (10-for-42) with 1 HR, 2 RBI, 3 R & 0 SB... that's just not cutting it as far as fantasy production.

I'd be interested to hear if he's hitting the ball with any authority so those of us who haven't seen him play recently can get an idea if he's got a chance of turning this thing back around.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2850
Joined: 1 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apz, Ray Zorback and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Jul. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Texas at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
San Francisco at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
San Diego at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Tampa Bay at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Washington at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Detroit at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Baltimore at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
NY Mets at Seattle
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact