Johan and the Mets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Johan and the Mets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Johan and the Mets

Postby fantasybaseballfan1 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:08 pm

SignGuy wrote:Either he takes a hometeam discount and re-signs with the Twins or he becomes a FA and they Yankees give him 25 million a year

I think the Mets have a better chance at him then the Yanks because the Mets don't have the minor league pitching staff the Yankees have. The Yankees system is stacked with potential aces and I can't see Cashman signing one guy for thirty million when he could use that money to address center field and first base. I still would love to have him though.
fantasybaseballfan1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dooz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:13 pm

fantasybaseballfan1 wrote:
SignGuy wrote:Either he takes a hometeam discount and re-signs with the Twins or he becomes a FA and they Yankees give him 25 million a year

I think the Mets have a better chance at him then the Yanks because the Mets don't have the minor league pitching staff the Yankees have. The Yankees system is stacked with potential aces and I can't see Cashman signing one guy for thirty million when he could use that money to address center field and first base. I still would love to have him though.

Cashman might not want to do that but what about Stienbrenner?
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby fantasybaseballfan1 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:24 pm

dooz wrote:

Cashman might not want to do that but what about Stienbrenner?

Part of Cash coming back as GM was him having full control and as long as the Yanks keep there recent winning ways up which when you look at there run differential is likely he won't loose control. Also there are rumors of Stein being ill so I don't know how active he is nowadays.
fantasybaseballfan1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dooz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:51 pm

Really? Hadn't heard that he had full control. Steinbrenner must be dead to relinquish that much control.

Thanks for the info though.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigken117 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:10 pm

Other than Chamberlain and Betances...who exactly are you profiling as a future ace? Kennedy? Clippard? Please. If Johan hits the open market, all the big revenue clubs would hand him a blank check. And if he gets put on the block, teams would probably protect no minor leaguer if they knew they could resign him when his contract expired. If they Yankees had a choice in the proven Santana for $20 million or the untested potential of Hughes (or the Sox with Lester/Buchholz or the Mets with FMart/Gomez) for $300K, I would think all teams would take the tried and true thing. They say they want to balance building from within with smart FA signings, but I think that pertains more to guys like Andruw Jones or Carlos Zambrano. It's not every day you have an opportunity to acquire the best pitcher in baseball.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby dooz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:26 pm

bigken117 wrote:
If Johan hits the open market, all the big revenue clubs would hand him a blank check. And if he gets put on the block, teams would probably protect no minor leaguer if they knew they could resign him when his contract expired. If they Yankees had a choice in the proven Santana for $20 million or the untested potential of Hughes (or the Sox with Lester/Buchholz or the Mets with FMart/Gomez) for $300K, I would think all teams would take the tried and true thing. They say they want to balance building from within with smart FA signings, but I think that pertains more to guys like Andruw Jones or Carlos Zambrano. It's not every day you have an opportunity to acquire the best pitcher in baseball.

Agreed. I can't imagine any team that could afford passing on Santana.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fantasybaseballfan1 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:42 pm

bigken117 wrote:

Other than Chamberlain and Betances...who exactly are you profiling as a future ace? Kennedy? Clippard? Please. If Johan hits the open market, all the big revenue clubs would hand him a blank check. And if he gets put on the block, teams would probably protect no minor leaguer if they knew they could resign him when his contract expired. If they Yankees had a choice in the proven Santana for $20 million or the untested potential of Hughes (or the Sox with Lester/Buchholz or the Mets with FMart/Gomez) for $300K, I would think all teams would take the tried and true thing. They say they want to balance building from within with smart FA signings, but I think that pertains more to guys like Andruw Jones or Carlos Zambrano. It's not every day you have an opportunity to acquire the best pitcher in baseball.

Besides Chamberlain and Betances there is Hughes, Wang is already in the majors and fairly young, Alan Horne has really turned a corner this year and does have ace stuff, Humberto Sanchez on the DL has ace potential but I think he's going to be a reliever so I won't count him, there are a bunch of guys in a ball who have ace stuff, they had a bunch of guys out of the draft who have ace stuff. I think the Yankees have realized that young cheap pitching is the most valuable commodity in baseball and will continue to stock up on it. The need won't be as large for the Yankees to sign Santana as it will be for the Mets. I'm sure the Mets who play in the same market and have a new stadium being built will have enough money to outbid the Yankees. I'm not a Mets fan so I can't tell you who they have in their system but the only names I ever hear about are Humber and Pelfrey and no more young pitching. I would love to have Santana but the only way I see the Yankees getting him is through a trade and I don't think they would give up Hughes or possibly Chamberlain depending on how the next year goes for him.
fantasybaseballfan1
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers