Needs some advice on a league issue.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Needs some advice on a league issue....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Needs some advice on a league issue....

Postby whoson1st0 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:52 am

I am hoping to get some advice on a recent problem in our league.

We have 10 bench spots and unlimited add/drops (which cost $2 each). If a player goes on the DL, you can pick up a replacement but when the injured player comes off the DL, you must then drop someone to get you back to 10 players.

If you make trade (say you give up 3 players for 1), you simply lose 2 bench spots. You cannot pick up any FA's to get you back 10 players. The other team gains 2 bench spots.

Ok so here is the problem - I noticed one team in our league had 12 bench spots. Looking at his trades, he did a 5-for-2 and a 1-for-3 giving him a net -1 players (so he should have 9 bench spots). I spoke to the commish and here is what happened - this team did this twice before, once in '05 and once in '06 and was never stopped, thus he thought it was ok to do. He said he would not have done the 5-for-2 deal if he didn't think he could pick up those bench spots he was losing. The commish felt partially responsible for not policing this correctly and so came to the decision that since this team had paid for the add/drops anyway he could just keep those extra spots and would just need to follow the rule going forward.

The league was not informed of this situation or the decision. I just stumbled upon it when looking at his roster for a possible trade. IMO he should have to get rid of 3 players to get him down to 9 bench spots. After discussing with our commish, he told me the decision had been made (about a month ago!) and to let it go. I thought the decision should go to our league, or to the executive committee.

I have since informed a few other players in my league to see what they thought. I am hoping to get the majority of the league on my side.

What do you think should be done about this, if anything?
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Needs some advice on a league issue....

Postby mac-unit » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:53 pm

since he didnt know i dont think it be fair to take them away. maybe have him get rid of 2 of the players so he can have his orig. 10 spots.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 11)

Postby talan37 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:39 am

I am not exactly sure whats happened here. When you make a 2-1 trade you are supposed to lose a bench spot transferring it to the other player right?

If the rules are set to be "if you make a non-equal numbers trade you are supposed to lose the bench spot"

and he made a 5-2
then a 1-3

and he is back to full bench spots? If this is the case you need to set it back to 9, it seems to me to be a bug in the way the site software handleded it, not a loophole in the rules, just because he exploited a bug in the past doesn't mean its allowable now. How many bench spots did the other people end up with, did the extra 1 spot appear out of nowhere, or did someone else lose a spot? If it appeared out of nowhere, two teams could just swap back and forth between eachother to create infinite bench spots.
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Jimmy103 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:42 pm

You'd know a lot better than us whether or not you believe that he didn't know.

If it was an honest mistake (and I am unfamiliar with this type of league setup, so I would have fallen victim to an innocent mistake myself) then let it slide...BUT there DEFINITELY should have been some sort of notification from the commish.

A lil help please:
viewtopic.php?t=301706
Win 2 more and then we'll talk.
Jimmy103
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner