Animal Kingdom Battle Royale - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Animal Kingdom Battle Royale

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Animal Kingdom Battle Royale

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:31 am

Yoda wrote:So I wanted my wife to see the vid but I think she would get upset with the baby water buffalo getting maimed. I asked her "do you want to watch something that might upset you?" She said "no, why would you ask me that?" LOL

I told my wife about it, and I skipped to the "happy" ending as quickly as I could.

;D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby 5 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:34 am

good video.

It's nature...geez, next time show the wife a baby penguin getting chewed up by a seal.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:00 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Yoda wrote:So I wanted my wife to see the vid but I think she would get upset with the baby water buffalo getting maimed. I asked her "do you want to watch something that might upset you?" She said "no, why would you ask me that?" LOL

I told my wife about it, and I skipped to the "happy" ending as quickly as I could.

;D

I showed my wife. She felt bad for the calf, but said afterwards, no way it survived.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:12 pm

i showed my g/f. she liked it.

im confused as to how the baby survived too. were there not like 5 lions chewing at its body/skin/neck everything? i would think that it would have died long before it got away.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:24 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:im confused as to how the baby survived too. were there not like 5 lions chewing at its body/skin/neck everything?

It's a blessing from God. ;7 :D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:50 pm

I recall reading that lions and other big cats kill their prey by hitting a key spot, spinal cord or artery or organ or something like that and, if they didn't hit one, they buffalo could have survived. Those lions were pwned. That is some great footage...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:02 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:I recall reading that lions and other big cats kill their prey by hitting a key spot, spinal cord or artery or organ or something like that and, if they didn't hit one, they buffalo could have survived. Those lions were pwned. That is some great footage...

Yeah, my wife was asking me about cheetahs the other day, and I was telling her how the cheetah has to run and then knock the animal over. Because cheetahs are relatively small, they can't just maul their prey. They usually grab onto the prey's neck or back (spine), bite hard, and wait. The key is usually knocking the prey down first so that they can target their kill bite accurately.

I imagine the lions spent so much time trying to wrestle the baby away from the gator that they didn't have time to worry about where they were biting.

After that, the herd had arrived, and it was go time. :D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Laean » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:53 pm

yeah, the calf survived i think. lions kill by suffocating its victims, not through the sheer # of trauma wounds.

if the entire time the lions couldn't get a good grip on the calf (which seems to be the case seeing as how the calf was breathing well enough to go with the herd), its very possible it could have survived with "minor" scratches.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:52 am

That being said, there was a pretty cool part in that "Planet Earth" show where they got some footage w/ night vision of a pride of lions going after a herd of elephants to get one. They explained that the lions had apparently been w/o food for too long so perhaps they were hungrier but it was pretty much a bunch of lions jumping on the back of the elephant and biting for the back and neck until they took it down. Maybe they were tougher lions? :?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:38 am

AcidRock23 wrote:That being said, there was a pretty cool part in that "Planet Earth" show where they got some footage w/ night vision of a pride of lions going after a herd of elephants to get one. They explained that the lions had apparently been w/o food for too long so perhaps they were hungrier but it was pretty much a bunch of lions jumping on the back of the elephant and biting for the back and neck until they took it down. Maybe they were tougher lions? :?

I saw that one also. I think it had to do with the fact that the lions are able to see well in the dark whereas elephants cannot.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk