Stolen Base category - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Stolen Base category

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stabone76 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:17 am

Anonymous wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Ok - real quick:

Some serious points are not being talked about.
We need to step off the statistics for a minute and look at FLA as a team. They lost Pudge, Lee, and Encarnacion. Thats their 3, 4, and 5 hitters. They have replaced them with a young stud SS. If he lives up to the highest expectations, he wont replace either Lee or Pudge. No way Pierre scores as many runs this yr.

Agreed.

McKeon's not an idiot. The loss of those power bats means the phins will have to manufacture more runs. Pierre will have the green light at ALL times.

10 less runs, 10-15 more steals. Pierre's one of the hardest working players in the game. With 650 ab's, he'll steal 60+ again.

Take him in the 3rd with confidence.

I'll have what he is having!!!!

first of all i didnt know the dolPHINS were also the marPHINS, secondly... heck that alone is enough
stabone76
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stabone76 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:19 am

Brendo wrote:this is one of the best discussions i've come across on this board

my thought on SB's is that it's the least predictable category.

Anybody out there remember Roger Cedeno going early, and Ichiro going WAY early?

Especially with guys like Alex Sanchez or Roberts or Podsednik or even Crawford, if they dont get on, they don't run.
And anyone who can predict THAT will win his league every year.

I always target guys like Vlad, Abreu, Beltran with my early picks because they help in EVERY cat.

Pierre helps in a lot, but paying for him early kills you in 2 key categories---HR and RBI.

and lastly, SB is the one category on offense where someone comes out of nowhere evry single season.
take a flier or be active on the waiver wire and you'll finish in the top third of SB.

I think it would be a mistake to count of VLAD for SB's this season, i take Beltran if you wanna go that rout.
stabone76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stabone76 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:24 am

j7 wrote:i think Pierre will be good again.. its gonna be interesting to see how teams handle him now that he's so well known for what he does.. maybe they catch on slow (managers didn't start walking bonds till the last few seasons).. but thats the only way i see his #'s taking a significant drop. if pitchers learn a quicker approach to home plate or something. otherwise i see him being consistent from here on.. even with the line-up a little worse than what it was. but i still wouldn't take him before the 5th or 6th rounds.. (no hr's)

oh yeah.. willie harris is my sleeper for sb's this year.. (i hope he's learning how to hit right now)

(managers didn't start walking bonds till the last few seasons)..

first of all, walking a SB guy isnt the answer (okay i know that wasnt your point) and as far as (pitchers learn a quicker approach to home plate or something) i think that would involve throwing faster and if they could, i like to think they would already be doing it.
stabone76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BXBombers » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:38 am

Great thread. I don't have much to add, except to say that I took him at the end of the 4th and am not regretting it... yet.

I strongly agree with what other(s) said about trying to take alot of guys who give you some stolen bases. I have Juanie but I try not to count on one player for any cat. A well-rounded team is like a well-rounded a@@... very nice ;-)
BXBombers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BXBombers » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:17 am

would there be any reason to have both Crawford and Pierre on your team?
BXBombers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Erboes » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:47 am

BXBombers wrote:would there be any reason to have both Crawford and Pierre on your team?

There are a couple big reasons why it is a good idea to have both on your team if you get them at a good price. One is you sew up on category if you keep both. In the process those two players will not hurt you in average and runs. In homers and RBI's, though, you'll now have to average about 32.5-106 to win those cats, up from about 27-97. This is not as daunting as you would think. With excellent value picks out there such as Berkman, Green, Hinske, Teixeira, Floyd, etc., you should be able to get enough to finish respectably in those cats.

More importantly, though, is the ability to trade these players to fill holes elsewhere after you sew up steals. Usually, steals are undervalued on draft/auction day but go for a premium once the season starts. Most people are looking for balance during the draft/auction. This is a mistake. Get as much talent as you can and trade it later even if you start the season with unbalanced teams. This is why I don't like the theory that if you have a good draft you don't need to trade. For this theory to work you'll need everyone to have good seasons and you won't have a comfortable lead in anything to trade to fill holes elsewhere if you are lagging behind in anything. In my mind, if you have a good draft that means you absolutely must trade to win because you'll be so far ahead in some categories that you can afford to trade some players to fill other needs. The balanced team theory leaves too much to chance and you'll end up drafting for need instead of the best player available. That's my thinking anyway.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Stolen Base Category

Postby esm » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:12 pm

Erboes makes a good point. A well-balanced draft easily becomes an illusion. Last season I felt I'd had a great draft. Unfortunately, it included Pat Burrell, Paul Konerko, & Robb Nen.

I had to scramble to replace those underachievers. Not having trade-bait players I had to rely on the free agency pool.
3andOut: Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
esm
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pablo975 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:45 pm

Actually, I'll see Juan Pierre this weekend. I'll ask him to project his steals for this year and tell him about the Cafe.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby tommyGunZ » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:10 pm

stabone76 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Ok - real quick:

Some serious points are not being talked about.
We need to step off the statistics for a minute and look at FLA as a team. They lost Pudge, Lee, and Encarnacion. Thats their 3, 4, and 5 hitters. They have replaced them with a young stud SS. If he lives up to the highest expectations, he wont replace either Lee or Pudge. No way Pierre scores as many runs this yr.

Agreed.

McKeon's not an idiot. The loss of those power bats means the phins will have to manufacture more runs. Pierre will have the green light at ALL times.

10 less runs, 10-15 more steals. Pierre's one of the hardest working players in the game. With 650 ab's, he'll steal 60+ again.

Take him in the 3rd with confidence.

I'll have what he is having!!!!

first of all i didnt know the dolPHINS were also the marPHINS, secondly... heck that alone is enough

That was me chief - I wasn't logged in when I posted.

Some refer to the Marlins as the "Fightin' Fins" - hence the reference in my post.

By the way, I'm big on Pierre again this year, as you can probably tell. I've heard that his work ethic is unbelievable - couple that with his speed and you have a fantasy superstar.
tommyGunZ
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby j7 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:06 pm

stabone76 wrote:first of all, walking a SB guy isnt the answer (okay i know that wasnt your point) and as far as (pitchers learn a quicker approach to home plate or something) i think that would involve throwing faster and if they could, i like to think they would already be doing it.

well like i said.. i think pierre will do great again. But, if i was a manager or pitching coach .. i would have some of my guys learn a quicker approach to home plate just for guys like pierre (i'm sure there's a few pitchers that he doesn't run on because they are fast to the plate, and some that he loves taking advantage of.. those are the guys i would work on). i would keep trying till they get better at it. i would also try to learn how to make him hit fly balls.. take away the ground-ball singles. i think pierre's running game is that important. he was the catalyst of their offense last year, and was a huge reason they won it all.. so if i could slow that weapon down, i would. teams go out of their way to learn some specialized feilding-shift for Giambi, and even though Giambi's hampered with injury, i still think that had an effect on his production... (especially if EVERY team adopted it, it must be working) .. so i'm just wondering if teams might do something special for Pierre .. i hope not

and Erboes, people hate me for this, but your the exact type of manager i like to veto. you probly make perfectly fair trades, but if theres one that makes you a lock for 1st place.. then i have no choice but to VETO .. i wish more managers would do that (makes it more competitive)
j7
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers