Stolen Base category - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Stolen Base category

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Stolen Base category

Postby ssjl » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:01 am

I am new to the 5x5 roto What advice can you give in regard to players such as Pierre-Suzuki-Baldelli-Crawford-These players went very early. I would rather stock up on Hrs-Rbis-Runs & BA. How high should these players go ? Thanks
ssjl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:03 am

you have to think about it this way. What one player can give you 40% of any 10 categories in roto?

I can't think of many. Pierre gave players 40% of what it took to win Sbs in most leagues last year by himself. Throw in Crawford and you are up to almost 80% with those 2 players.

I could see those two guys going with back to back picks in the 2nd-3rd round
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Re: Stolen Base category

Postby Jer19G » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:08 am

ssjl wrote:I am new to the 5x5 roto What advice can you give in regard to players such as Pierre-Suzuki-Baldelli-Crawford-These players went very early. I would rather stock up on Hrs-Rbis-Runs & BA. How high should these players go ? Thanks

Well... Pierre, Suzuki, Baldelli, and Crawford are the most valuable of the speedster bunch and deserve an early draft pick. If you would rather stock up on other catagories, perhaps you could wait awile and pick players like Santchez and Roberts later in the draft. But keep in mind the only value Sanchez and Roberts have is solely within the sb catagory.
Demon Days
Jer19G
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Stolen Base category

Postby justinA » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:15 am

Jer19G wrote:
ssjl wrote:I am new to the 5x5 roto What advice can you give in regard to players such as Pierre-Suzuki-Baldelli-Crawford-These players went very early. I would rather stock up on Hrs-Rbis-Runs & BA. How high should these players go ? Thanks

Well... Pierre, Suzuki, Baldelli, and Crawford are the most valuable of the speedster bunch and deserve an early draft pick. If you would rather stock up on other catagories, perhaps you could wait awile and pick players like Santchez and Roberts later in the draft. But keep in mind the only value Sanchez and Roberts have is solely within the sb catagory.

yes.. i agree.. those 4 will go high and for good reason because they provide a nice amount of steals 35+ im predicting for each and they all are multi faceted, perhaps my boy baldelli, not biased, has the most upside of the 4. All experts had him as the next Joltin Joe with 30/30 power while the other 3 would be lucky to crack 15 homers and 80 rbi IMHO.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:17 am

Also keep in mind that EVERYBODY wants to draft Sanchez and Roberts in the later rounds. About half the teams go in thinking "OK, I'll get a bunch of slow sluggers early in the draft, and compensate with cheap steals guys later on". My advice is to get a bunch of all around players, and if you can, grab Beltran. He's gonna be huge this year. Of course take Pujols, Soriano, Vlad, and A-Rod before Beltran, but I wouldn't take Helton or Prior over him. In that lineup, he could easily go 30/50 with a ton of RBI and runs.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kentx12 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:46 am

trevisc wrote:you have to think about it this way. What one player can give you 40% of any 10 categories in roto?

I can't think of many. Pierre gave players 40% of what it took to win Sbs in most leagues last year by himself. Throw in Crawford and you are up to almost 80% with those 2 players.

I could see those two guys going with back to back picks in the 2nd-3rd round

Trevisc, I agree with most everything you ever say but this imo is way off. I would love to be in a league where Pierre and Crawford go back to back in the 2nd round. I would feel comfortable that I have that league won by the 2nd round of the draft.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby tlef316 » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:26 am

yeah, those guys dont deserve to be picked in the 2nd(although if you want to take them in our keeper league be my guest ;-D )

i think id take pierre in the 6th if i didnt get a 5 cat guy early(beltran, soriano, Vlad, Abreu) i know that seems slightly late, but i got him at the end of the 6th in our new keeper league. crawford is slightly more risky but has more upside. i dont anticipate getting crawford in any league because he'll go too high for my liking. if you really want him, you'll probably have to take him in the 6th-7th.(maybe earlier)

i never touch Ichiro because he is cleary on the decline. he has become vastly overrated. he'll go in the 2nd or 3rd round in nearly every yahoo draft which is WAAAAAAAAAAAY too high for a guy that steals less than 40 bases.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BeSquare » Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:28 am

I agree with Kent on this one. I've found it to be a more successful strategy to concentrate on HR's & RBI's, while attempting to grab some guys that can also add 15-20 sb's. :-?
A bad three minutes at the auction can cost you three months worth of research!
BeSquare
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Stolen Base Category

Postby esm » Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:20 am

Again with treating Juan Pierre as a one-dimensional player. Must I repeat myself? I guess so.

He hit .300 last year with 100 runs. What sold me on him was that he was one of the hardest men to strike-out. Given that, plus his speed, he should make major contributions in SB, AVG, & Runs. Not too shabby. Well worth a 4th or 5th round pick.

ps: There's a lot more competition in the other four categories than there is in stolen bases.
3andOut: Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
esm
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby KULCAT » Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:09 am

How about Crawford? I got him quite late(9 round i think) but just in case i also grab guys like Luis Matos and Milton Bradley who could still 20 plus bases. I also grab Roberts and Jerry hairston very late just so i could trade up for closers or maybe more reliable sp´s. Would you go with Crawford as your starter pr play the Bradley/matos combo?
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers