Sam Perlozzo fired - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sam Perlozzo fired

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Sam Perlozzo fired

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:57 am

i heard tonight that girardi was officially offered the job but will take some time to think it over. after he was fired by the marlins, girardi probably could have had any opening he wanted, why would he now choose the o's??? they might have one of the worst jobs in the majors if you ask me.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:18 am

Snakes Gould wrote:i heard tonight that girardi was officially offered the job but will take some time to think it over. after he was fired by the marlins, girardi probably could have had any opening he wanted, why would he now choose the o's??? they might have one of the worst jobs in the majors if you ask me.

Imagine the money he could demand if he turns around two organizations.
Besides, he would get a little more leeway in Baltimore versus New York I would think
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 754)

Postby YardBirds » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:36 am

Snakes Gould wrote:i heard tonight that girardi was officially offered the job but will take some time to think it over. after he was fired by the marlins, girardi probably could have had any opening he wanted, why would he now choose the o's??? they might have one of the worst jobs in the majors if you ask me.

I will assume you view it as the worst job in the majors because of the Angelos... and not based on the history of great players and teams, great park, not afraid to spend money (although most acquisitions are down right moronic these days), and play in the best and most storied division in baseball. But i guess we are all entitled to our opinions.
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:58 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Well Girardi to the O's tells me that Donny will be the Yanks manager next year

I agree, but i wouldn't be so quick to think that Girardi will take the job. He knows that Torre is on the hot seat and i am sure people in the Yanks office have spoken with him, i think if he believes he has a shot at that job he will wait

Could be and I would much rather Girardi take over than Mattingly but I am not sure that the front office would want Girardi to take over for Torre. I think that he is viewed as too much of a Torre guy rather than someone that could offer a fresh start. There is also concern as to whether he would be able to motivate the players as he played with some of them.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:04 am

bigken117 wrote:I thinks people are getting confused here. Any canadians posting here? The postal mule will be along any month now to get your overdue igloo mortgage.

Anyhoo...what I think people are implying is that Girardi can have the O's job if he wants it, but he may wait for the Yanks job.Donny Baseball is nowhere in sight for the O's, but of course this had to turn into a Yankees thread.

If you took the time to read rather than blindly insult Canadians and Yankee fans, you would see exactly why the Yankees were mentioned in this thread. Pretty good reason, too. ;D

Let me try to dumb this down for you. :D Girardi is in the running for the O's job. He has a dilemma because the Yankees job should be opening soon enough. Does Girardi take the O's job or does he stand pat in the hopes that he can take over for Torre in NY?? That's the problem because there is no guarantee that he would get the NY job as, for the past few years, it has looked like the job is Mattingly's to lose. Make sense now??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby YardBirds » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:16 am

As an O's fan, I wouldn't like this hypothetical but lets just toss it around --

Lets say Girardi takes the O's job, 4 year contract. The Yanks job opens up and Girardi is interested but is tied down by his contract, if the Yanks want Girardi bad enough, couldn't they just pay the penalty or buy him out of the contract, however it is written up... its not like they don't have the money to spend. Also Girardi could insist that the O's include a clause that if and only if the Yanks come calling, he pays a percentage of the unfilled contract and is able to leave for the Bronx. I think if he took this angle with the O's they would either accept and he would win either way, or they would decline and look else which would allow him to stand pat until the Yanks figure out what they want to do.
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:10 am

YardBirds wrote:

I will assume you view it as the worst job in the majors because of the Angelos... and not based on the history of great players and teams, great park, not afraid to spend money (although most acquisitions are down right moronic these days), and play in the best and most storied division in baseball. But i guess we are all entitled to our opinions.

im talking about right now. the team seems to be in shambles if you ask me. theres at least 25 or so teams i personally would rather manage than the o's.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:17 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
YardBirds wrote:

im talking about right now. the team seems to be in shambles if you ask me. theres at least 25 or so teams i personally would rather manage than the o's.

To me, it comes down to whether he wants to have a legitimate shot at winning or if he wants to pad the resume. I might be wrong but, for the next few years, I see the O's as getting 3rd place in the division in a good year. Does he want that?? We shall see.
Lofunzo

Postby Another Blown Save » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:01 pm

Girardi declines Orioles' offer to take over team

BALTIMORE -- Joe Girardi has declined an offer from the Baltimore Orioles to become their next manager, his agent, Steve Mandel, told ESPN on Thursday.

Girardi interviewed with the Orioles on Tuesday, and ESPN's Peter Gammons reported that the team offered him their vacant managerial job. And ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney reported that as of Wednesday night, the two sides had agreed to work on an agreement that would make Girardi the team's next skipper.

The discussions with Girardi came after Baltimore fired Sam Perlozzo after two-plus seasons as manager.

Girardi was a first-time manager last season when he led Florida to a 78-84 record last year, keeping the youthful Marlins in contention until late September.

The former big league catcher was fired at the end of the season following a rift with owner Jeffrey Loria, then was voted NL Manager of the Year -- the first to win the award with a losing record.

A former coach for Yankees manager Joe Torre, Girardi returned to New York this season as a broadcaster for the YES Network.

Meanwhile, as first reported on Monday by ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney, Andy MacPhail was hired Wednesday as chief operating officer of the Orioles. MacPhail ran both the Cubs and the Twins.

MacPhail and Girardi overlapped in Chicago during MacPhail's tenure as Cubs president, which began in 1994 and ended in 2006. Girardi was a Cub for two stints totaling six seasons, the last from 2000-02.

Link
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers