Update on Chris Carpenter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Update on Chris Carpenter

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Update on Chris Carpenter

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:39 pm

*wipes brow*

And to think, I was just trying to trade FOR him a little over a week ago or so. Good thing I didn't get him! Whew! :-°
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Another Blown Save » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:57 pm

I own him in a dynasty league, but I don't know what to do.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby byfrcp » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:47 am

Another Blown Save wrote:I own him in a dynasty league, but I don't know what to do.

Trade him to someone who thinks he'll be good when he pitches again, because he likely won't be a top 40 pitcher when he returns late in 2008 and beyond.
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby pdlata » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:33 am

I delt Carpenter, Beltran and Griffey for Pujols in my keeper league. At the time I was a little unsure of the deal, but I definitely feel vindicated by this.
pdlata
College Coach
College Coach

Postby skapur20 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:35 am

byfrcp wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:I own him in a dynasty league, but I don't know what to do.

Trade him to someone who thinks he'll be good when he pitches again, because he likely won't be a top 40 pitcher when he returns late in 2008 and beyond.

i dont know about that. although hes had alot of arm troubles throughout his career, hes proved that hes a trooper. and the cards are gonna do everything they can in their power to get him ready to pitch again for them. players have come back to not only be decent starters for their team, but have some fantasy revelance as well.

take for instance Randy Wolf this year. Didnt he have TJ surgery not too long ago? and he wasnt half the pitcher Carpenter was before the surgery. I mean sure he had that 1 pretty good year and showed his potential(his rookie season with the phils right? cant remember) but it wasnt anywhere near as great as Carp in the last 3 years leading up to the surgery. Gotta have some faith in keeper leagues, its all up in the air right now. If you got him, hes got no value, no one will trade anything for him.

Different players perform differently, whose to say Carp wont be Carp again? we all will get some kinda preview with Liriano keep in mind. Something to monitor when he comes back next season.

but one thing that really pisses me off that someone touched on earlier is. why in the HELL did they not catch this earlier?? I have always believed that an injury requiring TJ surgery just doesnt come out of nowhere does it?
ummm lets go angels? :)
skapur20
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:04 am

TJ surgery guys usually come back with stronger arms from what i've read. i really feel for those who have him in a keeper league.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby abc11435 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:01 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:TJ surgery guys usually come back with stronger arms from what i've read. i really feel for those who have him in a keeper league.

Is that true? I thought after the surgery, Tommy John came back throwing slower than Jamie Moyer...
abc11435
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:18 pm

abc11435 wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:TJ surgery guys usually come back with stronger arms from what i've read. i really feel for those who have him in a keeper league.

Is that true? I thought after the surgery, Tommy John came back throwing slower than Jamie Moyer...

BDF is right. Typically, TJ surgery recipients come back stronger than before.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby rails80 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:23 pm

TJ surgery is so common now, I wouldn't stress it just yet. If you own him in a dynasty league, you might be safe. A lot of healthy pitchers (high school, college, etc) get it just to avoid complications if they make it pro.

Think about the list of guys who have had TJ surgery recently and it seems 50/50 as to how they perform after: Wood, Smoltz, Dempster, Mo Rivera, Gagne, Gordon...

Who knows, maybe Carpenter comes back as a closer?

And, they are starting to think that pitchers are coming back stronger - at least, a lot of the pitchers who have had the surgery say they are throwing harder...
rails80
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 257)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:23 pm

I traded Scott Kazmir for Chris Carpenter last year, so this is an unfortunate occurrence. Chris did help me win a championship last year, but there's no way I'm going to be able to keep him now, it just wouldn't be worth it. I'd be surprised if he even pitched next year.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates