Update on Chris Carpenter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Update on Chris Carpenter

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Update on Chris Carpenter

Postby morphism » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:43 am

Here is the beginning of an article from the St. Louis Post Dispatch on how Carpenter's thirty-pitch bullpen session went yesterday.

Chris Carpenter will meet today with Cardinals medical supervisor Dr. George Paletta after throwing 30 pitches from a bullpen mound Sunday, his first such session since undergoing May 9 elbow surgery for removal of bone spurs.

All parties described Sunday’s session as an encouraging step. Carpenter will discuss the elbow’s reaction to the session with Paletta today.

Carpenter said shortly afterward that he experienced no discomfort while throwing to head trainer Barry Weinberg in the outfield or to a catcher off the mound.

"I’m happy with the way I felt. I moved the ball around a little bit. So we’ll just see how it goes tomorrow," Carpenter said.

The URL for the full article is the following: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument

It is early in the process (there could be a setback); however, reports indicate he is ahead of schedule. In my league, I grabbed him (he was available) and stashed him on my DL. Needless to say, he could be a difference maker if your team is in a "tight pennant race" in your league late in the season.
morphism
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Update on Chris Carpenter

Postby jaykay123 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:35 pm

Jun 19 Updating a previous report, Daniel Berk, of StLouis.Cardinals.MLB.com, reports St. Louis Cardinals SP Chris Carpenter (elbow) will throw off the mound either Wednesday, June 20, or Thursday, June 21, depending on how many days of rest the team doctors recommend.

Nice. Anyone know what that translates to in terms of where that puts him on the schedule back? I'm hoping mid to early July- could use the help!
jaykay123
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby dooz » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:42 pm

jaykay123 wrote:Nice. Anyone know what that translates to in terms of where that puts him on the schedule back? I'm hoping mid to early July- could use the help!

hahahahaha......no. I'm going to say mid-August but that is purely speculation.
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby denicola_dominates » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:17 pm

yepp not for a while those bone spurs can be quite dangerous especially when u have them removed....haha ;D
"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical." -Yogi Berra

denicola_dominates
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dynastykid22 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:19 pm

Agreed, ahead of schedule is just a matter of opinion. ;D Though, him throwing is always good to hear for fantasy owners :>
dynastykid22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lil' Doug Dascenzo » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:51 am

I had to take The Gambler off the DL, so I picked up Carpenter and will stash him for awhile. If he comes back in August for the playoff push, that would be worth keeping him around.
Lil' Doug Dascenzo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby screwyinstlouie » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:01 pm

Early July would just be too soon. I've heard guesses that we might see Carpenter back pitching for the Cards around July 17, which would be 30 days from his first throwing session (30 pitches on Sun 6/17).
screwyinstlouie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:50 pm

From Rotoworld:
Chris Carpenter (elbow) felt good after a 50-pitch bullpen session on Wednesday.

"He might have taken a step and a half today," said manager Tony La Russa. "He's just feeling really good, and he's had no setbacks." With the way Carpenter is progessing it seems possible that he'll return before the end of July. "Today I felt normal, which is a great thing," Carpenter said. "From first throw to last throw I felt normal, and that's something for me that is exciting."Jun. 20 - 8:32 pm et
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:24 am

Sweetness
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby skapur20 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:32 pm

im trying to hold back my excitement, for the BUT or the whole hey my elbow is sore again the next day after pitching.

but damn is this great news to here. as i traded alot and invested alot in this guy in my dynasty league last year. got him right at the break and he was lights out.

it wont even matter if hes 100% the same carp as last year, if hes even 75% of the pitcher he was last year, thats better than most starters in this league. seems like pitching this year has been so inconsistant, at least on my team, good to see something consistant closer to comming back. keep the good news rolling carp ;D
ummm lets go angels? :)
skapur20
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates