Is there anything wrong with a 6x5 league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Is there anything wrong with a 6x5 league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is there anything wrong with a 6x5 league?

Postby Chip1010 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:29 am

Hey, guys. I'm the commish of a first-year keeper league. Right now, we're a standard 5x5 league, but we all agree that we want to add OPS to the league next year to add value to guys like Dunn, Youkilis or anyone else with a decent eye at the plate and the ability to hit the ball hard. We'd also like to diminish the value of hacks like Juan Pierre and Freddy Sanchez.

The problem is, we can't find a solid pitching stat that we agree on. K's and WHIP seem to take care of most things. We initially thought of adding holds, until we all looked around and realized that holds is a pretty terrible statistic and we don't think Taylor Tankersley should be more valuable than Mariano Rivera. We're thinking of just going 6x5 due to the lack of a solid pitching stat. Does anyone play in a league like that? Are there any inherent flaws in the unbalanced setup?

I know we could just remove BA for OPS and keep it 5x5, but since BA is so ingrained in baseball (both fantasy and real-life), the majority of owners want to keep it.

Nobody has voiced any real concerns, but I just want to run it by the Cafe and see if there is anything I'm not thinking of. It's a keeper league, so we don't want to do anything stupid.

Thanks a lot, and I'll help you if I can.
Chip1010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is there anything wrong with a 6x5 league?

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:09 pm

It's nice to have equal cats for offense and pitching but is it a must?? I don't think so. I also don't see how adding holds makes Tankersley more valuable than Rivera.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:32 am

To answer your initial question - Is anything wrong with a 6x6 league - No, not inherently. As long as you then are aware that it will skew offense slightly, you can all draft accordingly and the league should work. However, personally, I like to keep the stats equal.

Now, regarding your claim that Tankersly would be more valuable than Mo, he's not. It's not even close. While I'm not a big fan of holds myself, I do play in a 6x6 league that features OPS/HOLDS as extra categories. Closers will still be more valuable. Saves are still more scarce. In a 12 team league, you're going to find guys on the waiver wire with 10-15 holds at this point. Will you find any saves on the wire? No way. As soon as a new closer is announced, he will be picked up because saves are much harder to come by and much more scarce. However, the reason I don't like holds is because I feel they are pretty random and I just don't like the idea of rostering a guy who is just a MR. I have 4 guys for holds on my team, and I've gone weeks with 0 Holds. I suppose the same can be said for saves, but I feel like they are a little less volatile. Furthermore, having both SVS/HLDS as categories WILL devalue SP.

On to part 3...what categories you can add - I would personally suggest K/BB. Granted, this shows up in K's and WHIP, but I truly think a stellar K/BB rate is the mark of a great pitcher. If you have a problem that K's/WHIP make K/BB redundant, you really should have a problem with BA/OPS being redundant as well. In that case, just go 5x5 with OPS instead of BA.

Hope this helps...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Chip1010 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:33 am

Thanks for the replies, guys. And my comment about Tankersley being more valuable than Rivera was sort of in jest, but my point is that anyone can get holds. You just have to be a guy who pitches often for a winning team. I think it's a terrible statistic to measure talent. It's difficult to predict and leads to you owning mediocre pitchers. That's my main beef. At least with saves, you're usually dealing with the most talented reliever on a given team. Just wanted to clarify that point.

I really appreciate the responses.
Chip1010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:54 pm

Just out of curiosity, what did you all decide to go with?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Mrmet » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:55 pm

I gotta say we have holds in our league and its one of the best stats ive seen. Guys can no longer stack closers ( not enough active positions in day to day lineup) and guys like Betancourt on cle and Turnbow in milwaukee get great value. Ever look ant Betancourts numbers. They are really phenominal. 36:3 k to walk ratio or something like that. Good luck with your desicion
Mrmet
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:28 pm

i have only played in leagues w holds, and i am beginning to not like it. most teams just pick up hold guys late in teh draft or on the FA pool and completely disregard saves...with the assumption that winning holds will cancel saves. and it has been almost always impossible to win both, unless both managers are trying to win both and one does better. but this doesnt happen anymore after we learned that picking one was better. so IMO i think holds ruins part of teh pitching areas.

i personally like K/9 or K/IP or something that includes a ratio w K's. ive always liked pitchers who strikeout people and feel like they are hurt sometimes if their team sucks or they get some bad luck
shawngee03
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Charlie4 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:40 am

HELLO
Charlie4
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Charlie4 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:41 am

HAI
Charlie4
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Commissioner's Corner