Why isn't Alfonzo on the Block?! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to San Francisco Giants

Why isn't Alfonzo on the Block?!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why isn't Alfonzo on the Block?!

Postby shortsavage » Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:12 pm

Rotoworld wrote:Edgardo Alfonzo - 3B - San Francisco Giants Jan 31

Giants GM Brian Sabean said Friday that he isn't willing to trade Edgardo Alfonzo to the Yankees or any other team.
Sabean said the Yankees hadn't called about Alfonzo, but he still felt the need to comment on the rumors. "The Yankees, in our estimation, would not be willing to give up whoever we need at the major league or even minor league level" as a fair return for Alfonzo, Sabean said. Source: San Francisco Chronicle

I was getting really excited about Boone's injury perhaps opening up a gate for the Giants to get rid of Alfonzo. Although I did not think that there was ever a spectacular chance for a trade to be completed, I thought that the lack of interest would be displayed by the Yankees, not the Giants.

Alfonzo is making way too much money. Even if he had a great October, so did J.T. (in 2003) and that did not turn his career around. What hurts even more is that there are still some decent free agents on the market that could be great aquisitions for the Giants.

And, who cares if the Yankees do not have a ton of great players to offer in return of Alfonzo? It seems like it would be great just to get rid of his contract, especially with Feliz's potential to provide power in a less than powerful (on average) lineup.

Where do you think Sabean is coming from on this one?
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Alfonzo

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:12 pm

He's just pulling a "Boras" by posturing his man as unavailable in order to get more for him!

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby wrveres » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:50 am

:-D Cirillo ;-D

thats my thoughts. Let Edgardo stay where he is ... Sabean sure weemed to want to crush them real quick. He has been awful quiet this offseason. :-?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1149)

Postby eftda » Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:21 pm

wrveres wrote::-D Cirillo ;-D

thats my thoughts. Let Edgardo stay where he is ... Sabean sure weemed to want to crush them real quick. He has been awful quiet this offseason. :-?

he was great in the last 2 weeks and in those 4 games in the NLDS ;-D
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby so0perspam » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:35 pm

tell me who u think the giants could have gotten to make thei team stronger by trading alfonzo..... right now they need a sp and ss prolly the most..... so thatd be asking for brown/vasquez/mussina/jeter?....... hrrrrm
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby EE » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:52 pm

The Gaints need Alfonzo. Don't forget he was coming off major back injury and moved to one of the most pitcher friendly stadiums in the league. He really started coming on at the end of last season, and all I know is that he was the only one besides Bonds I was comfortable with coming to the plate during the playoffs. I have faith Sabs knew what he was doing when he gave him that contract.
EE
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby EE » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:15 am

The Gaints need Alfonzo. Don't forget he was coming off major back injury and moved to one of the most pitcher friendly stadiums in the league. He really started coming on at the end of last season, and all I know is that he was the only one besides Bonds I was comfortable with coming to the plate during the playoffs. I have faith Sabs knew what he was doing when he gave him that contract.
EE
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to San Francisco Giants