Jonny Gomes - Everyday starter? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jonny Gomes - Everyday starter?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jonny Gomes - Everyday starter?

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:07 pm

i dont remember hearing about him throwing a fit when being sent down to AAA, but can you blame him? i can understand why he would be upset when hes clearly shown hes ready to play full time at the major league level.
as mentioned his troubles last season with the AVG had to do with his shoulder. hes not going to be this big AVG hitter, but he should be able to maintain say .260-.270ish type AVG. his minor league career AVG is .271 with .399 OBP, .539 SLG, .938 OPS
based on minor league power numbers he has the potentialto be 30+ HR threat easily if given playing time.
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... omes.shtml

one of the things against him ive read was he wasnt in favour with TB manager, but i like what im reading recently from yahoo..
The Associated Press reports Tampa Bay Devil Rays OF Jonny Gomes hit 7-for-11 with two doubles and two homers during the three-game series with the Colorado Rockies. "Jonny wants to play every day," Devil Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "I believe he's the kind of player and the kind of guy we're looking for. He brings a lot of energy."

if hes the kind of guy their looking for, play him every day!
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 5002
(Past Year: 74)
Joined: 21 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jonny Gomes - Everyday starter?

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:19 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:i dont remember hearing about him throwing a fit when being sent down to AAA, but can you blame him? i can understand why he would be upset when hes clearly shown hes ready to play full time at the major league level.
as mentioned his troubles last season with the AVG had to do with his shoulder. hes not going to be this big AVG hitter, but he should be able to maintain say .260-.270ish type AVG. his minor league career AVG is .271 with .399 OBP, .539 SLG, .938 OPS
based on minor league power numbers he has the potentialto be 30+ HR threat easily if given playing time.
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... omes.shtml

one of the things against him ive read was he wasnt in favour with TB manager, but i like what im reading recently from yahoo..
The Associated Press reports Tampa Bay Devil Rays OF Jonny Gomes hit 7-for-11 with two doubles and two homers during the three-game series with the Colorado Rockies. "Jonny wants to play every day," Devil Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "I believe he's the kind of player and the kind of guy we're looking for. He brings a lot of energy."

if hes the kind of guy their looking for, play him every day!



The problem Gomes has is that he cannot hit off speed pitching. He crushes the heck out of fastballs, but struggles against Sliders/Curve etc., thats why he was sent down to work on that. He has not been able to adjust so far and that is the main reason for his low average. He wasn't hitting well earlier this year or in ST and it was b/c he was way out in front of offspeed pitches. Gomes does have power, but he needs to work on hitting the offspeed stuff. Right now i think he is out best option at DH that is on the Roster at the moment, but as i said when Rocco and Upton get back Rocco will DH a good amount of time and Upton will be in CF with Wigginton playing 2B, which leaves no room for Johnny.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Re: Jonny Gomes - Everyday starter?

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:11 pm

Gomes just crushed another one. If he keeps hitting like this they will have to allow him to keep playing. I hope he plays well enough that we can trade him
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Re: Jonny Gomes - Everyday starter?

Postby FalcoAtL » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:17 pm

Yeah, he really is looking great at the plate. That homer was to the opposite field too. Too bad Maddon failed to realize how good he is...
Image
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 1890
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 1 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Jonny Gomes - Everyday starter?

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:18 pm

FalcoAtL wrote:Yeah, he really is looking great at the plate. Too bad Maddon failed to realize how good he is...



He is not that good, he is horrible in the field and as i said he has a horrible time with offspeed stuff, i doubt he fixed that in a 2 week stint in the minors. He will have a nice run, but will come back.
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Re: Jonny Gomes - Everyday starter?

Postby FalcoAtL » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:27 pm

Yeah, I never thought he was that good at fielding. I just think he should have been given more of a shot to start. Dukes was basically handed a starting job out of the gates this year.
Image
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 1890
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 1 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Jonny Gomes - Everyday starter?

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:50 pm

FalcoAtL wrote:Yeah, I never thought he was that good at fielding. I just think he should have been given more of a shot to start. Dukes was basically handed a starting job out of the gates this year.



Well that had more to do with the fact that Dukes could not go back to durham and b/c they promised him if he had a good ST he would be a regular and he had a great ST. Than couple that with Roccos injury and he needed to be in CF. Young is in CF now and he is not happy about it, he wants to be in RF and has made that known very loudly
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Re: Jonny Gomes - Everyday starter?

Postby FalcoAtL » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:08 pm

I still think given their depth, that they could have given him more at-bats to prove himself. They really did the exact opposite.
Image
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 1890
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 1 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Jonny Gomes - Everyday starter?

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:20 pm

FalcoAtL wrote:I still think given their depth, that they could have given him more at-bats to prove himself. They really did the exact opposite.


They could have, i saw some spots that Gomes should have been in over some other guys. Right now he will be in RF everyday until he cools down and than probably will still get to DH and play RF every now and than
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Re: Jonny Gomes - Everyday starter?

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:41 pm

Just ripped another double, if you have room, may want to ride the wave
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact