holliday vs vlad - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

holliday vs vlad

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: holliday vs vlad

Postby dclark0699 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:16 am

George_Foreman wrote:
djxskillz wrote:i'd rather have atkins and helton behind me than gary mathews and kotchman....anyday all day.
I'll give you GMJ, but have you seen Kotch's numbers lately? He's definitely out-hitting Atkins, and my instinct is that he's out-hitting Helton as well. *checks* Yep. .960 OPS for Kotch vs. .925 for Helton.

Also, "protection" in the lineup doesn't matter.

I as reading that article and it doesn't state anywhere what players they used as subjects for their test. I would be interested to know who exactly they were.

If you are a .300, 40 HR guy....having a big hitter behind IS going to help you more so than having a Mark Ellis hitting behind you. You willl see less intentional walks with first base open. Also, the pitcher is not going to nibble at the corners trying to make you get yourself out with no fear of walking you if the guy behind you is a big hitter.

Hypothetical example, who would you rather pitch to...Chase Utley or Jason Werth. You cannot let Utley beat you himself, so you nibble and do what you can to not make mistakes. If you walk him so be it, you only have to pitch to Werth. That is why they have a guy named Ryan Howard hitting behind Utley instead of Jason Werth. You walk Utley and then first base is not open and you have to pitch to Howard.

On the flip side the average Joe Major Leaguer probably doesn't see much of a difference. If you are a .275 18 HR guy, they are probably going to pitch you the same, figuring that the odds are heavy in their favor on getting you out without any damage.

Flip the example....if you have Jason Weth up and Chase Utley on deck, why change what you are doing with Werth...he is only a .260 at best hitter anyway..so he is much less likely to do any damage

M theory here is kind of hard for me to explain in words, so that might not have been clear. It short, for the average or below average hitter I don't think protection matters much. For the good to great hitters I think it makes all the difference.

Of course I could be wrong, but without a list of the players they used in that study, I won't take the results to mean much.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: holliday vs vlad

Postby rjforlife » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:34 am

both did some work tonight....should be interesting to see who comes out on top by years end.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 765)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers