The True Story of the Midnight Massacre - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

The True Story of the Midnight Massacre

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The True Story of the Midnight Massacre

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:46 am

“That Dick Young column was the straw that broke the back,” Seaver said from his vineyard home in Calistoga, Calif., the other day, when asked to reflect on the trade 30 years later. “Bringing your family into it with no truth whatsoever to what he wrote. I could not abide that. I had to go.”

...Thirty years later, Seaver still feels nothing but contempt for Grant, who died at 94 in November 1998.

“There are two things Grant said to me that I’ll never forget, but illustrate the kind of person he was and the total ‘plantation’ mentality he had,” Seaver says. “During the labor negotiations, he came up to me in the clubhouse once and said: ‘What are you, some sort of Communist?’ Another time, and I’ve never told anyone this, he said to me: ‘Who do you think you are, joining the Greenwich Country Club?’ It was incomprehensible to him if you didn’t understand his feelings about your station in life.”

FULL STORY
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The True Story of the Midnight Massacre

Postby NYCBuckeye » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:48 pm

Very interesting article, thanks for posting this.
NYCBuckeye
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to New York Mets