Travel passports? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Travel passports?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Travel passports?

Postby DC nats05 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:18 pm

Sorry guys, I've run out of time and people to ask so I've decided to ask my question here on the baseball forums :> . Now let's cut to the chase. My mom, brother, and I are scheduled to fly to Peru this Thursday. My dad is already there - he went early. Now, we haven't received our passports through the mail, so as long as we don't have them, we will be unable to make this trip. We went to the post office about 13-14 weeks ago, and the passport agency states that you should have the passports within 10 weeks. Well, this is not the case. My mom called today (after 5 hours of being put on hold, etc.) and she talked to a person who said that our passports were still in circulation and pretty much, they have just been sitting in a building for 13 weeks doing nothing. The person said that the only way we could get our passports before Thursday is if we drive to a regional center - Wash DC or New York City (btw I live in upstate NY). The person didn't say anymore, just that if we visited one of the centers, we would get the passports on the same day. Now this poses some problems. First, I don't know if we need to schedule appointments or what not, or if we can just walk right in and get them. Secondly, my brother has school exams monday and tuesday, and I have exams tuesday and wednesday. And to top it off, my relatives from Canada are coming down late late Monday night to watch the house while we're gone. My mom is freaking out, the house isn't clean, and if all of this doesn't pan out, we will be losing major cash from air fares, tickets, bookings for Machu Picchu, etc. I can't even explain how much this sucks. And the reason why we don't have our passports now is because the government implemented a policy which states that everyone going to Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean has to have a passport. Actually I'm not so sure about this because I can't remember everything my mom said, but basically, there is an overflow of demands, and the government didn't hire enough people to deal with all these passport requests, and the process is really screwed up. So, I know you guys will most likely not be able to help, but do you have any suggestions, or have you, by some crazy chance, been in this situation before? If I actually get on a plane, it will be a miracle...
DC nats05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Travel passports?

Postby chadlincoln » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:24 pm

The new law didn't do anything to affect your trip except that it forced many others to have to get their passports to get into Canada/Mexico by air. They do state that if you have not received your passport two weeks before you are scheduled to leave that you are supposed to call. One week before may be too late which is why you have to go to NY. I'd call and find out two things: 1. Do you need an appointment? 2. Can one of you pick up everybodys passports since you are immediate family? I'd call the center directly and find those two out before you leave. If you're lucky, one of you can go, walk in, and have everybody's passport in time. You may have waited too close to your trip to call unfortunately. I hope everything works out for you guys.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby TheRock » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:28 pm

Yeah, that sucks. Stupid government.

Sounds like you've already got enough invested that it would be worth a trip to the big city if you're already in NY. But before you make the trip, call again and talk to a supervisor or someone in a position of accountability (oxymoron when speaking of the gov't, I know). Get it in writing if at all possible that someone will be able to assist you when you get there. Even if they say you don't need an appointment, try to get one anyway. You might be able to get someone from your congressman's office to go to bat for you too.

Good luck.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Pablo975 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:46 am

I could have sworn I heard on the news a few days ago that they've relaxed the passport rule for travel to Canada, Mexico, The Caribbean and South America due to the backlog and that a valid drivers license will be accepted.

You might want to ask about that. Maybe a travel agent can tell what the most up to date rules are. Good luck.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:10 am

http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_912.html

I just recently had to get a passport too as I'm going to Europe this summer, because of the huge backlog it takes like 8 weeks by the regular way...the other ways i've heard of are what the woman told you and doing it through a 3rd party company...so many people are trying to get passports that i would suggest trying to make an appointment as soon as possible, its a 24 hour automated appointment service...when i tried to make an appt at the san francisco office i couldnt even get through, the line was busy all the time...i ended up paying extra using http://www.americanpassport.com who have some way of getting it through faster, but it cost me $200 to get 3 day service. I'm pretty sure those are you're only two options for now, try calling immediately to get an appt at the new york office, thats probably you're best bet for getting the passport on time
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby DC nats05 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:17 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Incidentally, I was surfing the net and I came across a complaint board for passports. After reading pretty much every post, I came across a number, showed it to my mom, had her call, and we got our passports today at 2pm, just in time to make our flight tomorrow at noon! We were thinking that the only way to obtain the passports would be to drive to a regional center and camp out all day, but this number really saved our lives. If anyone needs it or wants the number, pm me.
DC nats05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:52 pm

DC nats05 wrote:Thanks for the help guys. Incidentally, I was surfing the net and I came across a complaint board for passports. After reading pretty much every post, I came across a number, showed it to my mom, had her call, and we got our passports today at 2pm, just in time to make our flight tomorrow at noon! We were thinking that the only way to obtain the passports would be to drive to a regional center and camp out all day, but this number really saved our lives. If anyone needs it or wants the number, pm me.

Glad it worked out for you. Have a great trip. ;D
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby knapplc » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:06 am

DC nats05 wrote:Thanks for the help guys. Incidentally, I was surfing the net and I came across a complaint board for passports. After reading pretty much every post, I came across a number, showed it to my mom, had her call, and we got our passports today at 2pm, just in time to make our flight tomorrow at noon! We were thinking that the only way to obtain the passports would be to drive to a regional center and camp out all day, but this number really saved our lives. If anyone needs it or wants the number, pm me.

Congratulations! Enjoy your trip!

And there had better be Machu Picchu pictures here when you get back! ;D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:59 pm

Finally a happy ending to something.

Enjoy your trip. ;D
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:11 pm

I've always wanted to go to Machu Picchu. My aunt had gone there last year and brought home some awesome pictures. ;D

Have a great trip and take it easy on the climb up there. ;D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Next

Return to General Talk