Interleague Play: Good or Bad? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Interleague Play: Good or Bad?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Interleague Play: Good or Bad for Baseball?

Good
71%
Bad
29%

Total votes : 34

Re: Do You Like Inter-league Play?

Postby Ender » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:40 pm

RugbyD wrote:Bad for baseball. AL has a material advantage b/c of the DH, always will.

I don't know about that, they don't have as deep benches usually and pitchers who don't hit on a regular basis.

If anything the NL has a disadvantage before inter-league because AL teams can rest their everyday players by putting them at DH here and there and the NL can't. Inter-league lets the NL rest some guys but keep their bat in the lineup.

The one negative about inter-league is it creates some unfair scheduling advantages here and there and its a shame to see a playoff spot won because of which teams you played in a lopsided schedule. If I wanted to watch a teams schedule decide who goes to the playoffs I'd watch NFL more.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nerfherders » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:57 pm

Ender wrote:The one negative about inter-league is it creates some unfair scheduling advantages here and there and its a shame to see a playoff spot won because of which teams you played in a lopsided schedule. If I wanted to watch a teams schedule decide who goes to the playoffs I'd watch NFL more.

I totally agree here. I dont mind interleague play but they need to seed it like they do in the NFL with the cross conference games. Every team in a division should play the same teams the same amount of times outside of the rivalry. And the rivalry should be just three games. Atlanta draws Boston 6 times because there is some supposed rivalry there, while Philly has no rival and plays scrub teams. Result: Atlanta 4-8, Philly 8-7.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby RugbyD » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:48 pm

Ender wrote:
RugbyD wrote:Bad for baseball. AL has a material advantage b/c of the DH, always will.

I don't know about that, they don't have as deep benches usually and pitchers who don't hit on a regular basis.

If anything the NL has a disadvantage before inter-league because AL teams can rest their everyday players by putting them at DH here and there and the NL can't. Inter-league lets the NL rest some guys but keep their bat in the lineup.

The one negative about inter-league is it creates some unfair scheduling advantages here and there and its a shame to see a playoff spot won because of which teams you played in a lopsided schedule. If I wanted to watch a teams schedule decide who goes to the playoffs I'd watch NFL more.

My general reasoning is that when NL play away, they have an extra batter, as does the AL team, but the AL team's batter is a bonafide starter b/c he's paid to DH. The NL batter is bench fodder. NL teams basically play with 8.5 batters vs. the AL team's 9. NL pitchers vs. AL pitchers is likely a wash, especially with players changing teams so frequently. Worst case scenario for an AL team is that they have to play their regular DH in the field and he's subpar on defense, but so is Jacque Jones in the NL, among many other leather-hacks.

On balance the AL is at an advantage and I think it proves out in the W-L record, which is now of substantial sample size.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby sportsfan1433 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:58 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Ender wrote:

My general reasoning is that when NL play away, they have an extra batter, as does the AL team, but the AL team's batter is a bonafide starter b/c he's paid to DH. The NL batter is bench fodder. NL teams basically play with 8.5 batters vs. the AL team's 9. NL pitchers vs. AL pitchers is likely a wash, especially with players changing teams so frequently. Worst case scenario for an AL team is that they have to play their regular DH in the field and he's subpar on defense, but so is Jacque Jones in the NL, among many other leather-hacks.

On balance the AL is at an advantage and I think it proves out in the W-L record, which is now of substantial sample size.

thts exactly how i feel
Last edited by sportsfan1433 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sportsfan1433
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:14 pm

I hate interleague play because it took away a lot of the intrigue of the World Series and is just another ploy to boost the NY, California and Chicago teams. One of the special aspects about baseball was the concept of two separate leagues with different rules that matched their champions against each other at the end of the year. That concept was kind of lost once they started interleague play. It just doesn't mean much anymore that the NL and AL are matching up in the World Series. It's just two MLB teams rather than the two leagues battling against each other. I think they should either go all in with it and play a schedule like the NBA or NHL (and get rid of the DH or add DH to the NL) or just not do it at all. I'd vote for the latter.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby jswede » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:55 pm

jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers