Interleague Play: Good or Bad? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Interleague Play: Good or Bad?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Interleague Play: Good or Bad for Baseball?

Good
71%
Bad
29%

Total votes : 34

Interleague Play: Good or Bad?

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:10 pm

a few non baseball diehards were talking to me about about how "cool" it is to see new teams every year. me personally, think interleague has worn out its welcome. for the very few rivalries, nym vs nyy, oak vs sf, most of the matchups are pretty uninteresting. yeah its cool to see al teams come into some nl parks and see some of the al pitchers swing a bat, but dont you think the competitive balance is a tad uneven. i mean, while the mets are playing the yanks, the phils are playing the royals. doesnt sound too fair to me. thoughts?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Interleague Play: Good or Bad?

Postby Old_Style » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:20 pm

I'm one to usually not like breaking tradition, so I never liked the idea.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ursa » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:33 pm

I disagree completely. I find the unbalanced schedule where you play your four division rivals 18 or 19 times each tedious. I like breaking up the season with new teams visiting. Also, the Minnesota - Milwaukee rivalry is drawing great crowds and is now well established.

BTW, how is Philly vs KC any less fair than having the slobbering Yankees and the drooling Red Sox feast on Tampa Bay 18 times each?
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:50 pm

I don't particularly mind it. It allows for some more interesting matchups, even though the Mariners seem like they've been getting toasted lately.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby os_gamejunkie » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:01 am

It's good but not perfect. The Cubs are playing the Padres during interleague play makes no sense to me. Some realignment good fix this.
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gatorgreenwell » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:03 am

Interleague play sucks. I don't care what anyone says, it favors the national league. When teams play in the A.L. park, the N.L. team gets to add a DH. Don't tell me that N.L. teams don't have at least one really good bat on the bench that each manager wishes could be in the lineup everyday-so playing in an A.L. park shouldn't hurt an N.L. team. But, playing in an N.L. park does hurt an A.L. team. Firstly, A.L. pitchers now have to bat-a skill they don't work on as much as N.L. pitchers do, if at all. Secondly, the A.L. team now has to take a starting bat out of the lineup. In some cases, this is an A.L. team's best or near best bat. For example: If Cleveland plays in an N.L. park, Travis Hafner has to ride the pine or he has to play 1st base. Either way, Cleveland loses because either Hafner sits or he brings his 2nd rate glove to the field. There are many other examples like this. True interleague play takes place in the world series.
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby brewcrew4you » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:20 am

gatorgreenwell wrote:Interleague play sucks. I don't care what anyone says, it favors the national league. When teams play in the A.L. park, the N.L. team gets to add a DH. Don't tell me that N.L. teams don't have at least one really good bat on the bench that each manager wishes could be in the lineup everyday-so playing in an A.L. park shouldn't hurt an N.L. team. But, playing in an N.L. park does hurt an A.L. team. Firstly, A.L. pitchers now have to bat-a skill they don't work on as much as N.L. pitchers do, if at all. Secondly, the A.L. team now has to take a starting bat out of the lineup. In some cases, this is an A.L. team's best or near best bat. For example: If Cleveland plays in an N.L. park, Travis Hafner has to ride the pine or he has to play 1st base. Either way, Cleveland loses because either Hafner sits or he brings his 2nd rate glove to the field. There are many other examples like this. True interleague play takes place in the world series.

I would say that interleague play favors the AL - and unless the talent discrepancy is that large, the numbers back me up. I think that the difference between AL DH and NL DH is greater than the difference between the AL P and NL P in terms of batting. DHing isn't an easy thing to do (staying focused on the game), and most NL teams don't have the big power bat sitting on the bench to fill that role.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:23 am

As much as I love watching the Mets play the Yanks, I don't like the fact that the schedule is so unbalanced. I don't like the 19 games within the division, and I don't like that the Mets get to play the Yanks, Tigers, Minnesota, etc. while Philly plays the Royals. The schedule should be balanced, and their should be no interleague play.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby AllStar215 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:36 am

I think interleague is great...brings out some interesting plays...puts fans on the seats...
AllStar215
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:27 am

gatorgreenwell wrote:Interleague play sucks. I don't care what anyone says, it favors the national league. When teams play in the A.L. park, the N.L. team gets to add a DH. Don't tell me that N.L. teams don't have at least one really good bat on the bench that each manager wishes could be in the lineup everyday-so playing in an A.L. park shouldn't hurt an N.L. team. But, playing in an N.L. park does hurt an A.L. team. Firstly, A.L. pitchers now have to bat-a skill they don't work on as much as N.L. pitchers do, if at all. Secondly, the A.L. team now has to take a starting bat out of the lineup. In some cases, this is an A.L. team's best or near best bat. For example: If Cleveland plays in an N.L. park, Travis Hafner has to ride the pine or he has to play 1st base. Either way, Cleveland loses because either Hafner sits or he brings his 2nd rate glove to the field. There are many other examples like this. True interleague play takes place in the world series.

You honestly think that interleague play favors the NL? Like, seriously? I think you need to rethink things. If Cleveland is playing in the NL, they sit a bat, and play even to their opponent. Hafner plays first base and, gasp, fields. When the Mets play in the AL, they get to DH Julio Franco or Ramon Castro. AL lineups are designed in such a way to accommodate the DH; of which when it's removed, minimal modifications are necessary, putting them at a much smaller disadvantage as when NL teams have to play in the AL. No AL team takes one of their top 2 bats out of the lineup during interleague games on the road. Possibly 1 game, but certainly not extensively.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers