Schmidt - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Schmidt

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Schmidt

Postby NittanyLions1 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:21 pm

Take out the m in his name and that is how he is throwing. Does he go to the DL again? Is it Billingsley time?
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Schmidt

Postby wildbill » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:00 pm

I had him for significant chunks of the last 2 years (05 and 06) and based on his health history and performance when I had him I'm not surprised by his performance this year. I specficially avoided drafting him this year. I think he's done as an elite pitcher and will be at best a league average pitcher until he retires. This is the 3rd year in a row he's gone into the season way overrated for how he performed. That's just my gut feeling on him, so take it for what it is. Or is it that burrito I ate?
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AdvRider » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:07 am

Not exactly an encouraging report from Schmidt's Saturday start vs. LAA:

The right-hander gave up three runs and five hits in 4 2-3 innings, walked four, struck out two and had two wild pitches.

Schmidt's pitches topped out at 88 mph in his third start since being activated from the DL on June 5 after missing 45 games with bursitis in his right shoulder. He lasted just four innings against Toronto last Sunday.

"Something's just still not right," he said. "Everything's not quite there, so I keep experimenting. I just didn't feel like myself. The ball isn't coming out of my hand as smoothly as I'd like. It could be mechanical, it could be anything. But I'm not going to open a can of worms on this thing."

Many of Schmidt's changeups are staying flat instead of diving and his fastballs are running and cutting.

"There's still certain pitches that he's not comfortable throwing right now," pitching coach Rick Honeycutt said. "It's his slider and his curveball that he's not using as much as he probably would under normal circumstances, and he doesn't have his normal fastball. We're only seeing part of him."
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:39 pm

This doesn't sound good.
From mlb.com:
The Dodgers on Sunday appeared to be in crisis management over what to do with pitcher Jason Schmidt and his troubling shoulder.
On Saturday, after another underwhelming start by Schmidt, manager Grady Little said he would continue to "run him out there."

But before Sunday's game, Little said he wasn't sure if Schmidt would make his scheduled start on Thursday in Toronto and hinted the right-hander might not make the team flight on Monday, perhaps a precursor to placing Schmidt on the disabled list for more rehabilitation or for corrective surgery.

"Right now, we're evaluating," said Little. "We're on hold right now."

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/news/ ... sp&c_id=la
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:43 pm

StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NittanyLions1 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:05 pm

Good riddance. Looks like its Billingsley time right? It sure would be sweet if he started the way he is throwing now! I would think its either him or Bomko right. They wont use another lefty since they already have 2 there. And they cant go back to Bomko can they? ....can they?!!
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pantagrapher » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:25 pm

NittanyLions1 wrote:Good riddance. Looks like its Billingsley time right? It sure would be sweet if he started the way he is throwing now! I would think its either him or Bomko right. They wont use another lefty since they already have 2 there. And they cant go back to Bomko can they? ....can they?!!

I still think they're going to wait until after the break to unleash Bills. I figure they plug Tomko in for a few starts, but I firmly believe Bills will be in the rotation down the stretch.
pantagrapher
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wildbill » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:52 pm

NittanyLions1 wrote:Good riddance. Looks like its Billingsley time right?

With that manager? I'd be shocked. He's like Charlie Manuel; both idiots who cost their teams wins.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NittanyLions1 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:13 pm

wildbill wrote:
NittanyLions1 wrote:Good riddance. Looks like its Billingsley time right?

With that manager? I'd be shocked. He's like Charlie Manuel; both idiots who cost their teams wins.

Yeah, thats why I put the 'Can they?!!' about Bomko. I am afraid they go with him again saying that Billingsley is 'too valuable in the pen' shat again. Just put Bills in and be done with it...he's better than Schmidt is anyway at this point in Shidt's declining career so put Shidt in the pen if he makes it back. Of course they will never do this though.

Here is how I think it seriously plays out...Bomko gets it if they think Schmidt can come back in a few weeks...they wont want to give Bills a shot and have him dominate (or at least win) and than be faced with the criticism of putting him back in the pen when Schmidt returns...they could put Bomko back no problem. HOWEVER, IF they think Schmidt is done for the season or any good length of time they go with Bills. Thoughts?

Oh wait I forgot about that lightweight in AAA they talked about when Kuo came up. I guess they could give him a shot also if Grady wants to manage like Manuel.
NittanyLions1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ultrazero » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:38 pm

I guess I'm holding out hope for schmidt because I picked him up as second half insurance.

What did the doctor say yesterday?
ultrazero
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates