What to do with Ryan Raburn? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

What to do with Ryan Raburn?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What to do with Ryan Raburn?

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:54 am

Ok, this guy is tearing up AAA. He can hit, there is no question. He had a rep as being bad on D, but he was converted to the outfield and is now decent enough to where he's played some CF. His line right now? 295/401/564 with 15 HRs, 11 SBs, and a 41/53 BB/K ratio in 241 ABs. He is blocked by Monroe and Thames. I think they have to fit Raburn into their plans somehow in the near future. Trade Raburn? Trade Monroe and/or Thames? All I know is this guy has earned his chance to prove himself in the big leagues.

It is honestly a "problem" I like the team having. I just wish the bullpen had the same "problem" :,(
Obviously, the Tigers aren't exactly hurting on offense right now, but I say every little advantage helps.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What to do with Ryan Raburn?

Postby moochman » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:31 pm

The answer is simple, but it will involve two things:
1) Monroe has to start raking
2) Tigers have to be ready to deal him.

Monroe is the easy answer. We need to trade him the minute he regains any trade value, for a good set-up man or prospects, but trade him we must. With Raburn, should he be real, and Maybin on the immediate horizen there isn't room for a slow footed, poor fielding OF who looks to have already had his career year. Even if Raburn fizzles, we can place Sheff in the OF and put Thames at DH.

Can Raburn throw?
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:31 pm

I have to think Monroe's trade value is pretty low - and with him having that 5 strikeout night a couple nights ago, you have to wonder if he'll regain much value by the trade deadline.

Personally, I'm extremely tired of Monroe. I remember a yr ago I was really hoping he'd turn the corner, but clearly his best days are behind him. Check out his career stats - his OBP has declined every yr since 2004, and at 30 years old now there really isnt much to be optimistic about. BTW - he has a .289 OBP so far in 2007.

If Raburn is ready, just bring him up. Monroe has become more of a liability than anything else. If some team wants to give the Tigers something for Monroe, I think DD would jump at it.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:23 am

This is a real test for the current administration, ie: Leyland and double D. Monroe's que-rating is higher than his value ever was and trading fan favs is dicey at best. More so since he's off to a suckie start. Sending him to Toledo, prolly the only realistic alternative should Raburn be ready, would send a message throughout the organization that we aren't resting on our laurels and talent is still the measure of the man.
Who knows, he might actually find out how to groove his swing again instead of trying to mimic Sheffields pre-pitch insanity. On that subject, why does a hitting coach allow a player to change his hitting style to another player's totally unconventional style given that Monroe's bat speed is about half of Sheff's can only make him rush his stroke? Seems like Craig is panicing. Send him down or package him with Maroth and/or Robertson to fill other needs.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:11 pm

Monroe. I swear, he is about as frustrating as it gets. He does this every year. He is sooooo bad for about 80% of the season, but in the other 20% of the season, he gets insanely hot and pads his stats like crazy making them (sort of) look okay. I'm not really a huge fan of his. Besides, him and Thames are just too similar offensively. Thames has a little more pop, Monroe has a little more D (but neither one is a huge advantage over the other and Thames can *kinda* play first base).

By the way, the new official spelling of his name has changed to Kraig Monroe (or even better yet KKKKKraig Monroe! Notice the 5 K's?). Can't speak of Monroe without a K!

But seriously, Raburn has deserved a look. I like to see guys who have earned their due, get what they've earned. He's had his ups and downs in the Tigers' system and has become a player who could contribute at the MLB level. He may be a AAAA player, but you'll never know til you see him. What's the worst that can happen? He K's 5 times in a game? ;7
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:30 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:By the way, the new official spelling of his name has changed to Kraig Monroe (or even better yet KKKKKraig Monroe! Notice the 5 K's?). Can't speak of Monroe without a K! ;7

Nice. ;D And here I was wasting time working on a Monroe variation. Something like a number change so his jersey could read:
Monroe
4-4

No sooner can I start to dump on him and he gets a big hit. If only I could somehow harness my powers :b
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Detroit Tigers