The Earth revolves around the sun? Really? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Earth revolves around the sun? Really?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Earth revolves around the sun? Really?

Postby Coppermine » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:18 pm

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... _be_a.html

While presidential candidates praise the Internet as a democratic means of reaching the masses, some candidates are experiencing the downside of this method of campaigning.

Blogs 4 Brownback, a website that is supposedly authored by a supporter of Senator Brownback's bid for the presidency, is drawing criticism for a series of inflammatory blog posts. The author of the blog, who goes by the username of Sisyphus, claims to not believe in heliocentrism, evolution, or abortion.

Heliocentrism is the idea that the sun, not the earth, is the center of the solar system. It also states that the earth along with other planets revolves around the sun.

Blogs 4 Brownback remained largely unnoticed until the liberal blog One Good Move mentioned the site in passing. Now the post titled "Heliocentrism is an Atheist Doctrine" boasts nearly one thousand comments.

To make his point Sisyphus cites 1 Chronicles 16:30, "He has fixed the earth firm, immovable." Sisyphus goes on to question the appropriateness of teaching heliocentrism in public schools.

"I support the Bible, and I don't want my children learning about Heliocentrism in school," writes Sisyphus, "I think this doctrine encourages atheism, Darwinism, and anti-Americanism. I don't want my tax dollars going to finance this kind of false science."

However the extreme nature of the post has many conservatives and liberals alike doubting the true motivation behind the post. Instead, many believe that the post and the entire blog is a parody written in an attempt to discredit Brownback.

Many of the people who commented on Blogs 4 Brownback applauded the post as an excellent piece of satire. However, these comments just earned heated retorts from the blog's writer, who insists his posts are in earnest.

Intentionally or not, Blogs 4 Brownback highlights what could be a liability to Senator Brownback's campaign. While many voters are expected to respond favorably to his emphasis on traditional conservative values, others may be concerned with Brownback's rejection of common scientific theories, such as evolution.

During the first Republican presidential debate, the candidates were asked to raise their hands if they did not believe in evolution. Brownback was one of the candidates that did raise his hand.

Whether or not a true supporter writes Blogs 4 Brownback is less important than the implications of his and similar websites. In a time where many people get their information from the internet, a blog post that would immediately be discounted as a hoax is now ambiguous.

Honestly, reading the article about heliocentric atheism seemed like something out of The Onion or Colbert Report to me. I question the validity of anyone who steps that far out of bounds from normal society and I can only assume that the writer knows that statements such as those he has made would garner a lot of interest from both the left and the right. Brownback may be well outside the mainstream for his rejection of evolution, but this heliocentric atheism thing is completely new and out of nowhere.

Yet, here is the latest post on Blogs 4 Brownback:

I’m not sure what this means:

"With regard to recent press reports about WordPress hosting a blog entitled “Blogs 4 Brownback”.

WordPress has received some worrying comments with regard to this blog through our admin site. The “Blogs 4 Brownback” site is a parody. Please do not forward any comments with regard to racist language, personal abuse or civil action suits to WordPress as we are not responsible for the content on the blog, merely as a host for the site.

Please use the “Blogs 4 Brownback” blog as it was intented: for entertainment purposes only.

Thank you,
The WordPress Team."

But it’s not very funny. It’s also not true. This is not a parody site. This is a site dedicated to the election of Senator Sam Brownback to the Presidency of the United States. Any complaints or comments you have, you can make to me directly. My email address is posted in the “Team” thread. You all know this, so why is one of you joking around by posting this nonsense in every thread?

Those who hate and fear what is said on this blog, hate and fear America itself. Senator Brownback is the greatest living American, and the finest President our nation can hope for. Complaining to WordPress will not change this fact, and writing spoof posts pretending to be Wordpress will not change it, either. Ultimately, with faith in our hearts and God on our side, decent Americans will prevail over you moonbat scumbags. That is a promise, and that is the legacy of our ongoing experiment in American democracy.

May God be with you all.

The blogger also comments on the world being flat which only furthers my suspicion that this is satire, with quotes such as:

...a strict and literal reading of the Holy Bible is the only correct and proper method of doing so.

and

The depth of this circle [the flat Earth] is unclear to me, as is the cause of earthquakes. Perhaps those are, indeed, caused by some form of plate tectonics (assuming the Earth is 20 miles or so deep before Hell begins); perhaps the tumult and riot of the Inferno causes them, as souls in pain howl and bang and try to escape to the land of the living.

I can't imagine that someone would make comments like that AND understand how to operate a computer.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:26 pm

The website is a joke. Come on, guys.

Is everyone's Sarcasm Detector in the shop these days? :b
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby shmolex » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:18 pm

Coppermine wrote:http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... _be_a.html

The depth of this circle [the flat Earth] is unclear to me, as is the cause of earthquakes. Perhaps those are, indeed, caused by some form of plate tectonics (assuming the Earth is 20 miles or so deep before Hell begins); perhaps the tumult and riot of the Inferno causes them, as souls in pain howl and bang and try to escape to the land of the living.

I can't imagine that someone would make comments like that AND understand how to operate a computer.

I guess you haven't read much of fstdt.
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Coppermine » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:08 pm

shmolex wrote:
Coppermine wrote:http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... _be_a.html

Wow, at the risk of upsetting someone, that site literally makes me nauseous.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby shmolex » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:27 pm

Coppermine wrote:
shmolex wrote:

Wow, at the risk of upsetting someone, that site literally makes me nauseous.

Tell me about it. I used to read it for laughs, but it just led me to feel really depressed for the future of humanity
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:53 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Not according to Sam Brownback's supporter's website.

Thought provoking, absolutely.

That was one of the more unintentionally funny things I've ever read, especially the posts after the initial blog.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:03 am

knapplc wrote:The website is a joke. Come on, guys.

Is everyone's Sarcasm Detector in the shop these days? :b

I considered that possibility, considering how far out this guy is from what is regarded as normal. I don't think anybody is stupid enough to back a presidential candidate while saying stuff like that. It still doesn't make it any less funny, though.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:19 pm

It is a joke and here's how it goes... Just in case you didn't know, Christian fundamentalists do not believe that the sun revolves around the Earth. But Creationists are often disparagingly compared to the scholars that resisted the heliocentric model. I'm sure you can connect the dots. At the Republican presidential debate the candidates where asked to raised their hands if they did not believe in evolution. Brownback raised is hand. He's a Catholic by the way not a fundamentalist but of course these days anyone who believes in Christ is grouped together as the stereotypical fundamentalists. And AA is smart enough to have known all this prior. This is less about smearing the moronic and more about a sense of superiority. ;)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CheeseBeger » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:02 pm

Amazinz wrote:It is a joke and here's how it goes... Just in case you didn't know, Christian fundamentalists do not believe that the sun revolves around the Earth. But Creationists are often disparagingly compared to the scholars that resisted the heliocentric model. I'm sure you can connect the dots. At the Republican presidential debate the candidates where asked to raised their hands if they did not believe in evolution. Brownback raised is hand. He's a Catholic by the way not a fundamentalist but of course these days anyone who believes in Christ is grouped together as the stereotypical fundamentalists. And AA is smart enough to have known all this prior. This is less about smearing the moronic and more about a sense of superiority. ;)

Pretty good summary. Interesting since Catholicism usually accepts science as compatible with religious beliefs. I wonder if he is just playing the percentages and is going after the republican fundies, or if he was truly convinced by the creationist "arguments."
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:11 pm

If you read the NY Times article, Brownback does come across as having the typical Catholic view of this (that Evolution and Creation do not necessarily contradict each other). When the question was posed there was no opportunity to go into detail, it was a simple yes or no (actually hand raised or not).
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk