Felix Hernandez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Felix Hernandez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Felix Hernandez

Postby nate050904 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:56 pm

Ok, I know the stats aren't pretty at face value like his WHIP and ERA but, let me give you owners of Hernandez some hope.

The last two games he hasn't pitched all that bad... I am honestly expecting him to get back on track very soon... Why? because other then his ERA and WHIP the other numbers are promising. They also show me that he's pitching better then his numbers would suggest...

Last two games:
9/2 Ground Ball/Fly Out ratio
6/1 K/BB ratio

Those numbers are certainly better then his first 4 starts when he came off the DL...
21/13 Ground Ball/Fly Out (which is almost 2/1)
8/3 K/BB ratio

So while his ERA and WHIP arent that good these numbers seem to suggest to me that he's been pitching better by keeping the ball down and alot of the hits that these teams have been getting have been ground ball hits through the infield.

His other stat's such as the groundball to fly out and strikeout to walk ratio are fine.

Which, I think leads me to the conclusion that he'll get things straightened around... Be patient...
nate050904
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Felix Hernandez

Postby zhutou » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:03 am

his babip is also through the roof at .370, which means he's getting incredibly unlucky.
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nate050904 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:12 am

Well, that doesn't surprise me really considering the ratios I just showed you...

Besides all that Ron Shandler forecasts him as having a xERA of 3.04 heading into tonight
nate050904
College Coach
College Coach

Postby poopdungbeatle » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:52 am

throwing numbers around......face it, he sucks right now....really bad.

I just think he'll get it back together because he has great stuff and is uber talented.
poopdungbeatle
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:49 am

Honestly, I think he's still concerned about the injury and is throwing at 80-90%. Pitch selection is also a problem...he tends to throw a lot of 1st inning fastballs. As an M's fan it is super-frustrating, especially since we're almost contending this year. As a fantasy player, Felix will have his good games and his bad games if he keeps pitching like he is now. As was said, he is getting really unlucky with balls in play, but he is still tossing some bad pitches, especially 0-2 fastballs down the middle that make me want to cry. Until he's ready to go 100% again he's going to be inconsistent, a pretty average fantasy pitcher. If he gets it going again though, watch out.
-Lane
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 33)

Postby beezer » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:25 am

He started off slow last year also.
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Oatsdad » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:56 am

beezer wrote:He started off slow last year also.

Does it still qualify as a "slow start" after 64 games - or about 40% of the season?
Oatsdad
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ROC AllStars » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:22 pm

Two more reasons to hope: scheduled to face PIT at home and KC on the road in 2 of his next 4...
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:30 pm

I am still hopeful.

But, does anyone have a good explanation on why Felix tries to establish his fastball (his worst pitch) in the first few innings of every single game. This has been consistently documented at ussmariner.com. Doesn't make any sense to me at all...
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby ILLZ » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:46 pm

Yeah, his bad luck continued last night... 12 hits in 6 IP! You can't make excuses for that 0-2 pitch that went into the seats in the 6th, that was stupid, but he still got unlucky prior to that.

Just sit on this stat guys: Since coming off the DL he's got a 36/9 K/BB ratio in 37 IP. That's ELITE.
ILLZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates